Highlighted
nillkin1
1 Nickel

Latitude E7450 flickering screen problem (can't disable PSR)

Hi,

I've got Dell e7450 with Intel HD5500 and FullHD IPS display. When I'm on battery, the screen starts to flicker at about 60%-65% of charge. Below ~50% the notebook is unusable, because the screen is almost still black.

I've done some research and I think that Intel Panel Self-Refresh technology is causing the problem. But the real problem is that I can't disable it! I've tried many versions of drivers, both from Dell and Intel directly and I don't have Panel Self-Refresh option in Power settings in Intel Control Panel in none of them. I've got a friend with the same notebook and his got this option using same version of drivers with same OS. I even did a format and change OS from Windows 10 x64 to Windows 7 x64, but I still can't disable PSR.

It's a huge problem, because my usable battery life is only half of what it supposed to be Smiley Sad

Please, help me and thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Latitude E7450 flickering screen problem (can't disable

Good research on your part and it appears to be a not uncommon problem.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490UxnSAE/panel-self-refresh-causes-stutters-in-win10?l...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
nillkin1
1 Nickel

Yeah, I know that, belive me. I've mentioned that I don't have "Panel Self Refresh" option in Intel Graphics Settings and that's the problem. That's how it looks (on my current driver ver. 20.19.15.5058): https://i.imgur.com/JTYTtBa.png and that's how it should look: https://i.imgur.com/TNSytob.png
0 Kudos
nillkin1
1 Nickel

Yeah, I know that, belive me. I've mentioned that I don't have "Panel Self Refresh" option in Intel Graphics Settings and that's the problem. That's how it looks (on my current driver ver. 20.19.15.5058): https://i.imgur.com/JTYTtBa.png and that's how it should look: https://i.imgur.com/TNSytob.png
0 Kudos
nillkin1
1 Nickel

Yeah, I know that, belive me. I mentioned that I don't  have "Panel Self-Refresh" option in Intel Graphics Control Panel.

1.PNGThat's how it looks (driver ver. 20.19.15.5058)Disable panel self-refresh.pngand that's how it should look

0 Kudos

@nillkin1 wrote:

Hi,

I've got Dell e7450 with Intel HD5500 and FullHD IPS display. When I'm on battery, the screen starts to flicker at about 60%-65% of charge. Below ~50% the notebook is unusable, because the screen is almost still black.

I've done some research and I think that Intel Panel Self-Refresh technology is causing the problem. But the real problem is that I can't disable it! I've tried many versions of drivers, both from Dell and Intel directly and I don't have Panel Self-Refresh option in Power settings in Intel Control Panel in none of them. I've got a friend with the same notebook and his got this option using same version of drivers with same OS. I even did a format and change OS from Windows 10 x64 to Windows 7 x64, but I still can't disable PSR.

It's a huge problem, because my usable battery life is only half of what it supposed to be Smiley Sad

Please, help me and thanks in advance!

Hi @nillkin1

Thanks for the information you have provided and the screenshots. Despite being in Polish the differences between the screenshots are very clear. I am unsure it this is a coincidence but our XPS users have noted that certain versions of the Intel graphics have removed options for advanced colour settings.

Before we begin troubleshooting, we need to determine if this issue is hardware or software related, or perhaps both.

To determine if the issue is hardware related, can you help out with the following details -
a) Does the screen flickering only occur on battery?
b) Is it only seen once the battery reaches a certain threshold?
c) Can you run the battery down to about 50% and the shut the system down to off. Now hold down the D key and power on the laptop. It should cycle through a series of colours - Are the colours displayed perfectly or do you have the same flickering and mostly black screen?
d) Can you connect up the ac adaptor and run the exact same test - Are the colours displayed perfectly or do you have the same flickering and mostly black screen?

What version of the BIOS and the Intel graphics driver are you running?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
nillkin1
1 Nickel

Thank you very much for your answer! About your questions:

a) Yes, it only occurs on battery,
b) Yes, it starts when battery level reaches 65%,
c) On ~40% battery I have run the test and flickering occured only in the very begging, for about 1sec when the first white screen appeared, then all the color were displayed perfectly during few cycles,
d) On ~40 On ~40% battery with connected AC adaptor the test worked all perfectly, without single flicker.

Video BIOS version: 1039.18
Intel graphic driver version: 20.19.15.5058
System BIOS version: A20

0 Kudos

@nillkin1 wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer! About your questions:

a) Yes, it only occurs on battery,
b) Yes, it starts when battery level reaches 65%,
c) On ~40% battery I have run the test and flickering occured only in the very begging, for about 1sec when the first white screen appeared, then all the color were displayed perfectly during few cycles,
d) On ~40 On ~40% battery with connected AC adaptor the test worked all perfectly, without single flicker.

Video BIOS version: 1039.18
Intel graphic driver version: 20.19.15.5058
System BIOS version: A20

@nillkin1 thanks for the update. As this issue happens across multiple driver versions from both Intel and ourselves, and another OS, that would suggest the issue could be related to the BIOS update. 

This BIOS, A20, was released 30th October last year and the graphics driver was released 10th January 

a) When did you update the BIOS?
b) When did you update the graphics driver?
c) For how long has this issue been happening?
d) What BIOS revision is your colleague on?
e) Do you have access to an external monitor, if so, is the flickering also seen on the external monitor during use?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details from you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
nillkin1
1 Nickel

a), b) I did update all drivers. bios, etc. about a week ago c) The issue have been happening since I got a laptop - about 6 months, I bought refurbished one d) He's on A16 revision e) I did a test and the flickering is only seen on laptop screen Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos

@nillkin1 wrote:
a), b) I did update all drivers. bios, etc. about a week ago c) The issue have been happening since I got a laptop - about 6 months, I bought refurbished one d) He's on A16 revision e) I did a test and the flickering is only seen on laptop screen Thanks a lot!

@nillkin1 as the issues were present before the BIOS and driver updates, I suspect the issue is more hardware related rather than software.

The issue I have is identifying exactly what component is causing the issue. For video issues such as this you would be looking at the main components i.e lcd, motherboard , lcd cable. As the issue only happens on the lcd but not external video that potentially rules out the motherboard. Logic would suggest that the LCD is the failing component, however the issue is not present during the LCD test. That would suggest that the issue potentially lies with the battery or the battery cable. 

Are you able to test your colleagues battery in this system to see if the fault still occurs?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos