Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2019 21:00

Latitude E7450 heatsink not covering cooling surfaces

Hi everyone, 

I recently encountered a strange thing in my Latitude E7450 laptop with i5 processor. After 3 years it was running a hot when performing easy tasks so I decided to change the thermal paste. When doing so I noticed that there were 2 cooling surfaces under the heatsink, but the heatsink only lined up to connect with one of them. The other one is located beside it, so no thermal paste can be applied to it (and wasn't). Please see my pics as a reference. In the pics I flipped the heatsink upside down, but you can clearly see how it aligns with the screws, and that it "misses" one of the cooling surfaces. 

Since it looks this way I assume it should be this way? But why have a cooling surface that is not connected to anything? Btw the E7450 chassis gets really hot at the fan area, but I have read this in reviews also and it seems like it's supposed to be that way. 

Also it's clear that the heatsink is wide enough to cover both of the surfaces, and it would seem more logical to me if it were mounted so it covered both of them. I know this laptop has not been altered in any way before I received it, so it has to have been this way from the factory. 

DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

After applying the paste to the rightmost cooling surface and assembling the laptop, it runs up to 80 degreed C while surfing the web. see pic. temp.PNG

Thanks for your help, I'm confused here :/

//

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 07:00

@JS92 wrote:

Thanks, 

So I do have the correct heatsink? 

Thanks

//JS

@JS92 you have the original heatsink that shipped with the system. If you intend to replace it go with the redesigned version.

Alan

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 9th, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @JS92 

That is not the heat-sink for that CPU.

You need this one:

Heat-Sink.PNG

Dell part number: H0WK4

Please use your "Service Tag" to look up your system configuration.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e7450-ultrabook/configuration

Please post back with the "Heat-Sink" part number and the "CPU" model number???

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 04:00

@JS92 

Any update???

Regards,

U2

3 Posts

June 11th, 2019 06:00

Thank for your response. The number is 7Q11F72. I did not find any of the information that you asked for on the link that you sent. I looked in the configuration and spare parts sections. Furthermore there is another thread here on Dell in which someone claims that it should be that way, for some reason only one chip should be covered. Here: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/E7450-heat-sink/td-p/5054994

I am starting to think that it should actually be this way, although it is very strange and looks wrong. Also I read these models are known for running hot so maybe it is designed that way. 

Best regards

//

3 Posts

Thanks, 

So I do have the correct heatsink? 

Thanks

//JS

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@JS92 wrote:

Thank for your response. The number is 7Q11F72. I did not find any of the information that you asked for on the link that you sent. I looked in the configuration and spare parts sections. Furthermore there is another thread here on Dell in which someone claims that it should be that way, for some reason only one chip should be covered. Here: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/E7450-heat-sink/td-p/5054994

I am starting to think that it should actually be this way, although it is very strange and looks wrong. Also I read these models are known for running hot so maybe it is designed that way. 

Best regards

//

Hi @JS92 the information that you have linked to is correct and the explanation of why is explained in the post. The heatsink was redesigned so that the north bridge would not be making contact with the heatsink. Whereas the part in your system is correct, it's the original part that shipped with the system. The part number that you require for the revised heatsink is TW22Y.

Alan

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Dell-Alan D 

Thank you for explaining the initial design flaw and the followup redesign of the heat sink.

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 07:00

@Dell-Alan D 

My warehouse tech's process around 100+ of these units a month.

Is there a quick way to tell if they have the poorly designed heat-sink without removing it to check???

And is there any exchange policy for the same???

Regards,

U2

3 Posts

June 11th, 2019 09:00

Hi all!

Dell-Alan D, how would one know there was a part redesign that would benefit system health and customer satisfaction? I mean for any Dell product...

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2019 01:00

@U2CAMEB4ME wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

My warehouse tech's process around 100+ of these units a month.

Is there a quick way to tell if they have the poorly designed heat-sink without removing it to check???

And is there any exchange policy for the same???

Regards,

U2

@U2CAMEB4ME I cant think of an easy way to check other than checking the service tag on the support tag and checking the heatsink part number on the components list.

A warranty exchange would only be made if the system is exhibiting thermal issues although with the age of the xx50 systems I would expect the majority of them would be out of warranty by now unless they were purchased with a 5 year warranty. 

Alan

28 Posts

September 20th, 2019 11:00

Hi, i am an e7440 owner. 3 Days ago i renewed my thermal paste but temperatures were still high so i was researching what can be done about it. Then i saw this topic 3 hours ago and i realized that my model had the heatsink that covers both chips. 

Started to look for on the internet if theres a new design heatsink for my laptop but i cant find any heatsink model that leaves one chip open for the e7440. So i decided to repaste my cpu and dont put any paste on the north bridge chip thus it doesnt have as much contact with the heatsink as before. Result is; 6-7 degree lower average temperature on the cpu.

So my question is that if dell decided to make a new heatsink design on the 7540 model but didnt care about 7440 model or i cant find the latest updated heatsink on the internet for my laptop?

28 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 07:00

Thanks

Since its obvious that the part that covers both chips is a flawed design i am curious if Dell should send me the revised-new heatsink without any charge? I think it should be so.

@Dell-Alan D

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2019 07:00

@Efeatmaca the heatsinks are the same for the E7440 and the E7450. Depending on whether you have integrated or discrete graphics determines which heatsink you require.

Integrated - TW22Y
Discrete - CCN54

Those are the parts numbers you require for the revised heatsink.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 24th, 2019 01:00

Hi @Efeatmaca the system was introduced 6 years ago. As the warranty has long since expired, I am afraid I cant replace the heatsink on the system free of charge.

Alan

28 Posts

September 24th, 2019 01:00

I am a second hand e7440 owner which i bought 10 days ago. Since this flaw is a hidden defect the guy i bought this had no chance of knowing it without a deep investigation. 

Thats why i think Dell should help me on a 35$ part

No Events found!