Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

12 Posts

May 31st, 2019 07:00

M4800 Lid sensor is broken... how can I disable lid sensor?

Hello,

It looks like my Dell M4800's lid sensor is malfunctioning. When I put my hands on palm rest, sometimes it triggers lid close. It puts my laptop into sleep mode.

Now I disabled sleep mode in my Windows 10 setting and bios. So M4800 can't get into sleep mode anymore but it'll blink instead. When lid sensor triggers lid close, it shows blank dark screen for 2 seconds and go back to normal screen. This happens quite often whenever I'm typing something on keyboard.

It looks like I'll have to disable M4800's lid sensor or completely remove it from motherboard..

how can I do this?

My M4800 is a refurbished one so there's no warranty. I found a few other people who had similar issues with Dell laptops' palm rest lid sensor. One of them had to remove lid sensor from motherboard. 

I'm not wearing any bracelet or magnetic watch. The problem is coming from lid sensor underneath M4800's palm rest.

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 31st, 2019 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @jakegordon12 

Sorry but the "Lid Magnetic Reed Switch" is not located under the palm rest.

"Red Arrow" is location of magnet behind the LCD bezel.

REEDSW.PNG

"Black Arrow" is location of reed switch under keyboard.

When the lid is closed the magnet trips the reed switch and turns off display.

To test the switch just power-on and slide a small magnet around the edge of the "Tab" key.

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 31st, 2019 09:00

@jakegordon12 

Go to "Settings", "System" then "Power and Sleep"

Then click on "Additional Power Settings"

Then click on "Choose When to Turn off Display"

Then click on "Change Advanced Power Settings"

Click on "Power Buttons and Lid"

Open "Lid Close Action"

For "On Battery" and "Plugged In" chose "Do Nothing" 

Then click on "Apply"

LIDclosed.PNG

Regards,

U2

May 31st, 2019 09:00

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. Is there any way to completely disable this behavior?

I want my M4800 to not response to lid sensor. In my opinion, its lid sensor is completely broken... it triggers lid close at least four to five times a day. I disabled sleep mode so I see just blank screen for two seconds but I hope there's a way to fix that. If M4800 can ignore signals from lid sensor, It will be fixed.

How can I do that? and how can I disconnect lid sensor from M4800's motherboard?

May 31st, 2019 10:00

Thanks again for your response.

I already did that. That's why my laptop isn't getting into sleep mode anymore. However, now it blinks. If the sensor triggers lid close, laptop turn off screen for 2 seconds and goes back to normal screen.

In my opinion, the only way to solve this issue is disabling the lid sensor... or make M4800 ignore any signal from it.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2020 09:00

Hello,

I had the same problem with a Dell Precision 3530 almost 1 year after its purchase and not using it more than 3 days per week. The screen is locked automatically and turned off for 2 seconds then turns on for some seconds, then off again. I think DELL are aware of the problem, because there is an option in the Bios to desable the lid sensor. I disabled it and the problem is gone. The inconvenient is that when I close the lid, it keeps switched on. I'll contact Dell to repare it during the guarantee.

You can go into the Bios (F2), then Power Management > Lid Switch and uncheck the box before Enable Lid Switch. If you don't have it you can try to update the bios.

Good luck!

2 Posts

September 4th, 2020 00:00

Finally, I found the problem for my Dell Precision 3530. Because I used it put on top of another Dell (with closed lid) of the same size and the two computers have their magnets in the same position (upper right angle of the screen), the magnet from the lower computer activated the reed switch by making it turn into "screen closed" position even if the screen was open. Conclusion: do not put your computer on top of another laptop or near magnets because it could activate the reed switch.

1 Message

May 7th, 2021 12:00

I've got the same problem with my Dell 7567

Now it no longer sleeps cos I played with the Windows settings. I'm using Windows as well as Linux. I was able to ignore signals from lid sensor in Linux by modifying some config files but found nothing in Windows. 

No Events found!