Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 00:00

New 7490 + TB16 + Skype for Business = BSOD in asmtxhci.sys

Like so many others, I am getting crashes with the TB16 connected to my brand new 7490. For the most part, it is stable -except- if I start Skype for Business (necessary at my company). Regardless of whether the audio modules are disabled, no Ethernet, etc., I get an immediate BSOD if I start Skype for Business. Disconnect the TB16, everything is fine. I have reinstalled the TBolt driver, firmware, ASM driver (10.16.50.1), Realtek audio and Ethernet drivers with no improvement. My preferred configuration would be to have a headset connected to the dock, 2 monitors (1 HDMI, 1 DP) and a Logitech Unity receiver. Dell, please continue working with AS Media to resolve these issues.

156 Posts

August 20th, 2018 05:00

All,

It looks like we will be seeing this driver post at the end of August. Once i get word that we are promoting the new driver to the web, I will post a link to the file within this thread.

@L.phelps

I'll reach out to you via email :)

I'm going to have one of our community teams redact your service tag and SR # just for privacy reasons shortly.

28 Posts

February 10th, 2018 04:00

I have disabled the ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller in Device Manager.  This renders the TB16 to an expensive power supply and dual monitor adapter (which it is doing fine with 2 1080P displays).  Dell, we either need our TB16 replaced with one that does not use the ASMedia USB controller or you need to pressure ASMedia into releasing a driver that does not BSOD every time a USB device (like Realtek USB Audio or Realtek USB Ethernet) is accessed!  This BSOD issue is not new to ASMedia's USB3.0 XHC (just do a search on the subject). It is a shame that not only is the TB16 poorly designed with the cable coming out of the left of the docking station, it is using a component (and has even with the TB15) that has a known issue that causes BSODs.  The only solution is to disable all docking functions other than display support.

28 Posts

February 11th, 2018 05:00

As an addendum, the reason I had to disable the ASMedia 3.0 device entirely was not just because of Skype for Business.  I would get random BSODs with no direct activity on the laptop.  I had removed all USB connections (including disabling the Realtek Ethernet and audio devices) and was -still- getting BSODs.  Since disabling the ASMedia device, no more BSODs, period.  Searching the internet shows this ASMedia issue dating back to the very early days of ASMedia's 3.0 support, even in Windows 7 although it has become extremely prevalent in Windows 10's later releases.  Why can't Dell, Asus, and others that use ASMedia's chips have a concentrated and concerted effort to resolve this issue once and for all.  And don't say it is Realtek's problem or any other manufacturer.  Other USB 3.0 controllers don't have this issue with the same devices attached.  This is an architectural issue with ASMedia's drivers which should be able to be resolved since the issue is always the same BSOD (0x3b).

February 12th, 2018 18:00

@PeteSL I had this issue as well. I was able to identify the culprit was the Dell Encryption software. We installed it to test it out and then the BSOD happened. After uninstalling the Dell Encryption software all was well.

I am curious if you have the software installed on your 7490.

-John

28 Posts

February 12th, 2018 21:00

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, it was installed but I had uninstalled it this weekend after disabling the ASMedia xHCI device.  I re-enabled the ASMedia device, rebooted so Skype for Business (and Skype) would fully restart, and so far no problem (I also moved my Ethernet cable back over to the TB-16 before the reboot).  This does not, however, absolve Dell of the underlying ASMedia driver issue which has existed since its introduction a number of years ago (per many reports on various forums).  There is an apparent architectural issue in the driver which makes it BSOD under certain circumstances with various USB devices and software utilizing the chipset.

I have ordered and should be receiving tomorrow the Startech T-bolt 3 Docking Station w/ power which does not use the ASMedia chipset.  While having fewer USB ports, it does have dual display support along with T-bolt chaining and an Ethernet port which was critical to me. It is also supposed to be compatible with the Dell receiving power from the T-bolt USB-C connector. I will report back on my success or failure with this device.

I will also do some testing before I receive that docking station on the TB-16 support of the Realtek audio (connecting a headset, for instance) and see if various USB devices will cause the ASMedia driver to BSOD. I will also report back on that.

Thank you, again, for your suggestion.

28 Posts

February 13th, 2018 13:00

Further update.  Without Dell Encryption installed, I was unable to reproduce the ASMedia-centric BSOD (albeit a short test period).  I tested with multiple audio devices connected to the Realtek USB on the dock, a significant amount of Ethernet activity, and working with a Samsung T5 external SSD connected to the T-bolt port on the back.  Overall, at that point, the TB-16 was working as advertised.

I received my Startech T-bolt 3 Dock this afternoon and proceeded to install it. I replaced my HDMI/HDMI cable to one of my HD monitors (I am using 2 HD, not UHD monitors) with a USB-C/HDMI cable to connect the T-bolt port on the dock designated for this use. I connected my Ethernet and speaker to the dock, plugged it into AC power, and then plugged it into a shutdown 7490.  When I turned the 7490 on, there was no complaint about the power being supplied via the T-bolt port.  The WiFi was active because the drivers for the dock had not been downloaded yet.  The drivers automatically downloaded after being prompted by the T-bolt software regarding accepting the dock (I selected Always as I did for the TB-16).  Everything is working properly.

Comparison:

TB-16 Pros/Cons:
(Pro)Multiple methods for connecting displays.
(Pro)Multiple analog connects (headset and speaker)
(Pro)T-bolt USB-C port for general use including USB3.1
(Pro)3 USB3.0 and 2 USB2.0 A ports
(Con)ASMedia 3.0 xHCI chip/driver
(Con)Realtek USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter
(Con)T-bolt cable to laptop comes out left side of dock
(Con)Fan for cooling

Startech Pros/Cons:

(Pro) Low profile design w/ T-bolt port on back to facilitate easy connect to laptop
(Pro) Drivers are all Windows 10 default
(Con) 2nd monitor driven by T-bolt port
(Pro) Intel 3.1 xHCI adapter for T-bolt port
(Pro) Fresco Logic 3.0 xHCI adapter
(Pro) Texas Instruments PCM2912 USB audio adapter
(Pro) Intel I210 Gigabit Ethernet adapter
(Con) Single audio in; Single audio out
(Con) 2 USB 3.0 A ports, 1 USB 3.0 C port (yes, 3.0 since it goes through the Fresco xHCI)

Since I don't need the extra USB 3.0 ports and I can survive with no available 3.1 ports, I am going to stick with the Startech until it proves to be the wrong decision or I see that Dell has directly addressed the BSOD issue.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

February 14th, 2018 04:00

Not a solution, I know, but the issues are being addressed:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln308216/dell-data-security-dell-data-protection-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-technical-advisories?lang=en

(I'm afraid I don't have an ETA on any of this)

28 Posts

February 14th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for that link.  Maybe Dell will be able to finally get ASMedia to fix their drivers to quit causing BSODs.  I am going to stick with the Startech for now (I have not reinstalled Dell Encryption as of this time as I am reevaluating whether it is beneficial for me vs. BitLocker) and hope to see an update someday on the drivers page for ASMedia finally fixing this.  As for the TB-16, it sure would be nice if Dell's accessories engineering teams included an ergonomic advisor to prevent silly design errors like putting the cable to the laptop on the wrong side of the docking station.

156 Posts

February 15th, 2018 10:00

Hi Team,

I work with the Dell Encryption group. we have been working with the ASMedia team heavily in regards to this issue. There are currently fixes underway in the ASMedia driver to resolve this issue. 

Dell Encryption 8.17.0 and 8.17.1 introduced a method to enumerate USB drives on thunderbolt-based ports to be able to be controlled by the "Port Control" mechanism. This is done through our memory filter driver that we have within our products. Currently the ASMedia driver is returning a response that is not able to be consumed by a memory filter driver when an application attempts to enumerate USB devices (like Skype for Business :) ).

If you do not, please raise a ticket with the Dell Data Security support teams via chat or phone, and we can notify you when our 8.17.2 client is available, or the updated ASMedia driver is available. 

May 7th, 2018 11:00

I am still getting BSODs on the same driver when I use a bluetooth USB in the dock. I also am getting not charging or charging slowly messages.

28 Posts

May 7th, 2018 11:00

Have you updated both your ASMedia and Realtek drivers?  Dell issued updates for both in March (ASMedia driver should be 1.16.51.1 which I have seen backed off by Windows 10 for some reason so be sure you are running 1.16.51.1 by looking at it in Device Manager).

Also, be sure you have installed the latest BIOS for your laptop and the Thunderbolt 3 firmware 4.33.21.001 the released at the end of April.

I am now using the Startech TB3 dock with power supply and it is working without issue.  I have not reverted back to the TB16 to test but plan to one weekend this month, just for testing purposes.

1 Message

May 17th, 2018 04:00

Hello,

I am also experiencing the same kind of issue on a Win10 Latitude 7480 laptop using the latest driver (asmtxhci.sys V1.16.51.1).

The crash dump log shows the following:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80366bcdb18, ffff9e809828ec90, 0}

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asmtxhci.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asmthub3.sys
Probably caused by : asmtxhci.sys ( asmtxhci+1db18 )

What are the options to avoid these annoying crash ?

Laurent

28 Posts

May 17th, 2018 05:00

Dell was approaching this from the understanding that there is a conflict between their Encryption package and the ASMedia chipset in the TB16, hence the V1.16.51.1 driver.  As I suspected and you have confirmed, there is a deeper issue with the ASMedia chipset.

Workarounds with the TB16:

Uninstall Dell's Encryption application.

Avoid using Skype or Skype for Business.

Definitely open a ticket with Dell support (note prior replies from Dell personnel to this thread).

I have yet to return to the TB16 because the Startech does everything I need without the ASMedia chipset.  I have had zero issues with Startech's TB3 dock (I am not associated with Startech in any way but required a powered docking station supporting 2 displays that would not crash my system as I am dependent on Skype for Business on this computer).

Doing a search on ASMedia and this BSOD bug check produces a myriad of posts across many forums dating back to Windows 7 drivers.  I was hopeful that Dell might get it worked out with ASMedia since they had a readily reproduceable scenario to get the bug check.  From your report, they may have moved forward but still have the issue.

May 17th, 2018 18:00

I'm seeing a similar problem with a Precision 3520 and this dock. I can produce a BSOD fairly consistently with error code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION when I have a UGREEN USB 3.0 switch connected to the dock. Behind this switch, I have a Logitech G710 keyboard, Logitech G500s mouse, and a Logitech C920 webcam. Whenever I use the switch's button to switch away from the laptop with at least two of these devices connected, the crash occurs. This is not reproducible when the switch is connected directly to the laptop.

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v1803, but have also seen this with v1709. Unfortunately, I've been having trouble capturing a crash dump for further analysis. I've tried stepping through Microsoft’s troubleshooting article for this situation and had no luck so far...

I have everything I think would be relevant (BIOS, chipset driver, Thunderbolt controller driver and firmware, ASMedia USB 3.0 Host Controller driver) at their latest versions. Save for setting up a kernel debugging session, I'm at a loss as to what else I can do at this point.

4 Posts

May 29th, 2018 05:00

Thanks PeteSL, you saved me time from doing all the same uninstalls and finding the ASMedia culprit in my TB16.  I agree this should have been solved by now given the age of the issues and the number of posts related to this driver set.

This issue also shows itself on the new XPS 15 9570 - nothing like spending 3k to find out you also have a $350 power brick. 

Lets hope Dell does right by the TB16 as they shipped me the TB16 out of the blue as a replacement for my TB15, which was even a worse cluster.  

No Events found!