Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 00:00

New 7490 + TB16 + Skype for Business = BSOD in asmtxhci.sys

Like so many others, I am getting crashes with the TB16 connected to my brand new 7490. For the most part, it is stable -except- if I start Skype for Business (necessary at my company). Regardless of whether the audio modules are disabled, no Ethernet, etc., I get an immediate BSOD if I start Skype for Business. Disconnect the TB16, everything is fine. I have reinstalled the TBolt driver, firmware, ASM driver (10.16.50.1), Realtek audio and Ethernet drivers with no improvement. My preferred configuration would be to have a headset connected to the dock, 2 monitors (1 HDMI, 1 DP) and a Logitech Unity receiver. Dell, please continue working with AS Media to resolve these issues.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

February 20th, 2019 11:00

So, our 9570s seems to be OK after running Command Update and the Dock updater thing but I have a couple 9560s that still randomly blue screen with the driver verifier error ever after updating everything I can find from command update and going to support.dell.com and having it scan my machine.

The 1.16.55.1 seems to be the latest ASMedia driver so that's what I have installed.

I chatted with Pro Support to open a case and was told to wipe a machine and put the Dell image on it to rule out my install of Windows 10 isn't somehow causing the problem.  *sigh*

5 Posts

February 26th, 2019 07:00

All,

Remove the following entry at registry key (make a backup copy first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\asmtxhci\Parameters

DmaRemappingCompatible

Reboot

-

That is the only difference that 1.16.55.1 has and rolling back the driver does not remove that registry key.

More information on what DMAremapping does:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-dmaguard

This policy is intended to provide additional security against external DMA capable devices. It allows for more control over the enumeration of external DMA capable devices incompatible with DMA Remapping/device memory isolation and sandboxing.

Device memory sandboxing allows the OS to leverage the I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) of a device to block unallowed I/O, or memory access, by the peripheral. In other words, the OS assigns a certain memory range to the peripheral. If the peripheral attempts to read/write to memory outside of the assigned range, the OS blocks it.

#Iwork4Dell

16 Posts

February 26th, 2019 17:00

Is this a Dell-approved workaround?

156 Posts

February 27th, 2019 05:00

Hi team!

This does seem to be resolving the BSOD with teams for video calls on my end as well with some quick testing, I cannot say that this is "Dell Validated" just yet, as there is additional testing and buy-off that needs to happen before we can claim that, but this does seem to be a solid work-around for this particular issue that is presenting.

Typically these keys are set for a very good reason by developers, I'll need to get confirmation as to why this was set.

February 27th, 2019 12:00

THANK YOU.

I can confirm this works. Rolling back the driver did not work. A fresh windows installation with the "one version older" driver did work. That older version does not have the Parameters branch of the reg key at all.

Removing DmaMappingCompatible from the newer driver regkey works great.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

February 27th, 2019 12:00

@Community,

Couple of points regarding the TB16+Skype BSOD concern:

-The fix from dc288 is not a Dell-Support-approved work around but is one that can be tried if you’re comfortable with doing so. Make sure you backup all data and gather all recovery media before ever touching the registry

-Even though the fix from dc288 is not yet a Dell supported work around, it has been tested by Dell under best effort and has stopped the BSOD from occurring

-Dell engineering is working on a new driver in order to resolve the BSOD. I will be back in the future with updates regarding the driver update

Thank you for your feedback on this issue.

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 12:00

@Justin C - any update on the new driver?

March 15th, 2019 06:00

I've been following this thread. I don't use Skype but I've been getting the related BSOD with RingCentral and Jabber when using a USB connected headset. I tried removing this registry value and I haven't had a BSOD in a week, now. Previously, it was about every other day. This is excellent! Just wanted to add that it is working for me and I'm going to start applying it to others in my office who are having the same problem.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2019 14:00

Precision 5530 + TB16 + Skype for Business BSOD's have been driving us crazy until I stumbled across this thread. The registry mod APPEARS to have fixed this but we need to wait a few days to be sure. We have 3 very expensive highly configured 5530's and we certainly didn't expect this from the market leader and the latest Windows 10. I cant remember the last time I saw a BSOD. We need to keep this thread alive until an official fix is found using certified driver(s).

1 Message

March 28th, 2019 10:00

We're experiencing this issue too in my neck of the woods with the same scenarios mentioned countless times. The only "fix" I've found to be truly effective is to unplug the Plantronics headset (W745).

I'm looking forward to some real results from Dell!

27 Posts

March 29th, 2019 00:00

I have been trying to work this one out for days,.

Recently, my audio has started glitching at a fairly regular interval.  The glitches sometimes effected video replay.

My audio comes from a USB audio card plugged into the TB16 dock.  It has been working for a long time.

Immediately after a reboot, the audio is fine.  About two minutes later the glitches start after one big glitch.  I tried using ProcMon.exe to see if I could spot what caused it to start ( too many entries, not enough time ).

If I plug the USB audio card into a port on my laptop, the audio is fine.. If I move it back to  the TB16, the problems start again.  

I have also had to connect my keyboard to the laptop rather than a hub connected to the TB16.  My keyboard was repeating random keystrokes making it almost unusable.

I have recently updated the thunderbolt software and I think some thunderbolt firmware update., but I thought the problems started before then ( unless I have just reinstalled them ).

The only thing my TB16 is doing now is driving my screens.  

2 Posts

April 1st, 2019 18:00

No BSOD's for 5 days now (which is easily a record) so it appears that the registry mod is a valuable workaround. That said, I believe that it is beholding of all of us to keep this thread going until an official outcome "certified by Dell" appears and creates the stable environment we are entitled to. Does anybody have any other progress to contribute?

27 Posts

April 4th, 2019 21:00

More cheer to spread.. After the 2019 april feature update, my TB16's ethernet port no longer works. Now only the monitor and type-c ports work. I haven't checked the kensington lock yet.

[edit][ - now the type-c seems to be having problems.  I have an ssd plugged into the type-c of the tb16.  When copying files across to it, the speed slowed down to about 1KB/s.  Granted these were lots of small files, but when I plugged the ssd into my laptop directly, the speed went back to normal.

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 15:00

I'll add my name to the hat as well. Even with the latest firmware and drivers, we are seeing this issue with TB16's and Latitude 5591's. The registry fix works for some devices, but not all. The reg key will keep the PC from blue screening, but if a Plantronics headset is plugged in, the USB devices start to malfunction and the computer quits responding. The only true fix as stated above it to unplug the headsets.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2019 01:00

@DELL-Justin C  So proposed work-around with registry change used to work for me but for some reason after USB device "uninstall" from Windows 10 device manager (due to some other problems with USB "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)") I've started to see BSoDs again even though mentioned registry entry is missing!

Any updates on a proper fix?
I think it's beed quite some time since issue was reproduced by dell but so far we've been dealing with problems on our own.

No Events found!