Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2020 03:00

No Winre.wim file in the Recovery folder

So , all of this started when i ran MBR2GPT.EXE/convert in the Windows Re recovery environment. I got this error(not this exact one but this error log and my error log had the same errors, so yeah)

adelluser565_0-1595240215896.png

First of all I was dumb and forgot System32 was in the Windows folder, then i thought my bootable media(Windows Setup ) was broken but it was fine(There were some  weird lines on bootup , that disappeared when the Setup loaded). I ran reagentc /info ; reagentc /enable but the latter did nothing. So i discovered that winre.wim was not in my C: drive(i doubt it is in my Recovery partiton). 

Info:

Disk is in GPT/ BIOS configured to UEFI

Model: Latitude E6430 with 128 GB original SSD

Using Windows Official ISO (not using Media Creation Tool)

Windows 10 v2004 x64

Also everything is backed up 

So the only option i have that i know is reinstalling . I made this post to ask if there is any way to get a new winre.wim file without reinstalling Windows?(I don't wan't to reinstall the OS unless if it is necessary)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 20th, 2020 07:00

@adelluser565  You can get a fresh copy of Winre.wim out of the install.wim or install.esd of Windows 10 installation media, which you can download if you want (just have it generate an ISO and then mount the ISO file.  The install.wim or install.esd folder will be in the Sources folder).  You'll need to use DISM to temporarily mount the install.wim or install.esd to an empty folder (there are guides out there for this), and then go into that folder and browse to \Windows\System32\Recovery.  It will be there.  I'm not sure what happened to your Winre.wim file in the first place though, since on Windows systems it's supposed to be either on the Recovery partition or still in the \Windows\System32\Recovery folder of your Windows partition if you don't have a Recovery partition.

So you can copy Winre.wim to that default \Windows\System32\Recovery folder of your Windows partition, but actually getting WinRE enabled would require properly setting up a Recovery partition, copying the file over there, using ReagentC to set the path to that partition as your WinRE location, and THEN enabling WinRE.  That's all a bit more involved.

And don't forget to unmount your install.wim or install.esd file with the /discard switch when you're done.

July 21st, 2020 04:00

Hi, thanks for the solution but i decided to go with a UEFI clean install of Windows(Nuked the partitions), but after it is installed it hangs at "Getting Ready" then goes to "Invalid partition table!". I read other posts but i don't want to use Legacy or use MBR2GPT.EXE again. Legacy Option Roms are enabled and Secure Boot is off(I planned to use it after the install). Any other option?

Also i have a Windows 7 MBR PC which  i used to download the ISO. Then i ran Rufus with settings to use GPT. Do i need access to a GPT computer to make the installation media ?

Edit:(I need UEFI+GPT to dualboot)

July 21st, 2020 06:00

BIOS set itself to Legacy , i fixed it , now its fine

No Events found!