Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

57 Posts

March 10th, 2019 15:00

Possible wrong answer from moderator & I need your help

I need to upgrade my DELL Latitude E6230's wi-fi card from 2.4GHz to 2.4GHz/5GHz. I found my question here with an answer from a mod  (below). On ebay I purchased the mod's recommended Intel® Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 dual band card, new. After my purchase I read the seller's item description and, to my dismay, it said " NOTE: do not use for DELL & OTHER LAPTOP". At Amazon, the warning was "Not for IBM and some HP laptops".

So, was the mod's recommendation right or wrong. I'm really confused. The YouTube video instructor did not specify any replacement card.

Have any of you E6230 owners replaced your 2.4GHz wi-fi card and, if you have, what card did you use? And what does one do after inserting the 2.4GHz/5GHz card? Is there something one has to do or does the laptop adjust itself?

Dell Community Laptops Laptops General - Read Only Latitude E6230 WiFi upgrade

-Phil_B-
1 Copper
‎10-14-2014 01:39 PM
Latitude E6230 WiFi upgrade
We have recently upgraded to 5Ghz wifi network, only problem is my current wireless card runs at 2.4Ghz. Would someone happen to know any compatible 5Ghz wireless cards for the E6230?

DELL-Ravi Ch
‎10-15-2014 04:33 AM
RE: Latitude E6230 WiFi upgrade
Hi -Phil_B-,

You can look for either Intel® Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 dual band card or Dell Wireless 1540 (802.11 a/b/g/n) Half Mini-Card to fix your concern.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 11th, 2019 05:00

Have a look at the following site. Parts-People are the best alternate source for Dell parts. They sell the N 6300 card as an OEM part. And if you look at the list of compatible systems the E6230 is listed. I would trust them well before an EBay description. Besides OEM means that it was used by Dell in some of their systems so obviously it is compatible. The moderator was spot on.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=9276

57 Posts

March 11th, 2019 22:00

Since I posted I've done of a lot of research and learned a lot. I saw many YouTube videos on the innards of the E6230 and I noted the cards they were using. In one video, sponsored by Parts People, the person showed how to remove the card but didn't install a new one. I clicked on their link and wrote to them and asked what card was appropriate for my E6230 and their reply was revealing, they recommended the same card as the DELL mod (Dell original Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless Wifi WLAN Half-Height Mini Card for select Dell Laptops)! But they're asking $24.95 and I found the same card at ebay for $4.95 w/free shipping! And comparing the data on the cards shown, the one I bought shows later or newer specs. So when it arrives I'll go back to watching how-to videos. Thanks for your helpful reply. Since the card is recommended there is a possibility that the ebay seller has incorrect info which is hurting his sales 'cause I canceled my order and received a refund.

No Events found!