Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

October 24th, 2018 23:00

Puzzling Power issues

Hello, I have a Dell Latitude E7270, bios version 1.11.3, Windows 10 Pro on and off a Dell docking station equipped with adequate Dell 130W charger. My IT service cannot find a solution to a problem that’s been ongoing for months. My battery has been replaced, they had me try multiple.Dell chargers and two different docking stations, coming to the consclusion that this clearly is not a straight hardware issue. The issue is as follows: if I turn on the laptop while plugged in, either through or off its docking station, battery is charging fine. If I dock the laptop while in sleep or hibernation then wake it up battery is charging fine through the dock. If I take the laptop off the dock, then put it back on or plug it in then wake it up, battery is charging fine. If I now set the computer to standby or hibernation while docked or plugged and wake it up on battery alone, the battery starts draining and there is no stopping it until it is completely drained. Turning off, hard reset, reboot, changing chargers, docks, outlets... there is no way to stop the battery from draining to zero %. Bios says battery healthy charger is recognized, Charging icon in Windows says “charging” but the battery is not being charged. Only when it is so dead that I get the "launch startup repair" error and chose start normally does it start powering again. If the startup error simply is “windows has not shut down properly” with safe mode start up options this is not enough. I seem to need to get a “deeper” error before whatever bug happened is finally reset. Can anyone suggest a fix to this issue?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 25th, 2018 17:00

Is the replacement battery a genuine Dell replacement bought from Dell? 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pfydresults/246662?categoryId=2999

1 Message

March 6th, 2020 01:00

Have you ever found a solution to this problem? I have been facing this issue for months now. I've tried 2 different laptops, 3 different chargers, 3 different docking stations, 5 different batteries and even switched houses and still the problem keeps popping up. I'm puzzled.

8 Posts

March 6th, 2020 04:00

try with updating bios

Latest version of bios is 1.22.8 and try update battery driver. Also check laptop with dells diagnostics tool to find hardware issues (diagnostic test take about 40minutes)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 6th, 2020 11:00

Try a 330w brick.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Alienware-M18X-0143-ADP-330AB-DA330PM111/dp/B07Z8S3RJP

Cmos battery may also be bad.

Run Dell Diagnostic to check status of the battery health by following steps in link below. After the quick tests, select Primary Battery, and then click on Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

How to Check Battery Health Status on Dell Laptops

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln143156/how-to-check-battery-health-status-on-dell-l...

Lastly, since you installed latest drivers and BIOS, I am assuming you installed Dell Command Power Manager application. Type Dell Command Power Manager onto search box [Cortana], select Battery Information, Settings, change settings, reboot system. Hopefully you'll see a difference.

Guide to Dell Command Power Manager

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln311131/guide-to-dell-command-power-manager?lang=en#...

Standard - Fully charges the battery at a moderate rate. This setting provides a balanced approach to extending battery life while still providing a reasonably fast charging time. Recommended for users who frequently switch between battery and external power sources.

ExpressCharge™ - Quickly charges the battery using Dell fast-charge technology. Recommended for users who need the battery to charge quickly. If the system is powered off, then the battery typically charges to 80 percent within one hour and 100 percent in two hours. Charge time may be longer if the system is powered on.

Primarily AC Use - Extends battery life by lowering the charge threshold, so that the battery never charges to 100 percent capacity. Recommended for users who primarily operate the system while plugged into an external power source.

Adaptive - Automatically optimizes battery settings based on the user's typical patterns. Recommended for users who want to "set it and forget it."

Custom - User selects when the battery starts and stops charging. Recommended for advanced users.

*Peak Shift and Thermal Management: 

Peak Shift is an optional feature that reduces power consumption by automatically switching the system to battery power during certain times of the day, even if the system is plugged into a direct power source. After Peak Shift begins, the system will run on battery power until the combined charge level of all batteries reaches a minimum threshold. See Enabling Peak Shift for instructions on how to change these settings. Then, if the system is plugged in, it is powered by the direct power source; however, the battery will not charge until the Peak Shift ends.

Note: If the hours assigned to Peak Shift and Advanced Charge overlap, then Peak Shift takes priority. Batteries will not charge during Peak Shift hours.

1 Message

July 16th, 2021 07:00

I've had the same issue for the past several months.

No Events found!