Highlighted
jminasl
1 Nickel

Screen turns off when unplugged

Jump to solution
Hello all, Need your assistance with a recently noticed issue with my Latitude E5570, where the laptop screen turns off when I unplug it. The laptop continues running with no other perceivable problem (can access via TeamViewer to, for instance). If I plug it back, the screen remains off... I can get the screen back on with two options: 1. plug it and re-start it (sleep also works) or 2. plug it and allow it it trigger the screen suspension conditions (ie, no action for x minutes and activating the laptop again). The screen was working while unplugged before and, coincidence or not, my impression was that this started after laptop BIOS update to version 1.20.4 as recommended by Dell Command update app. Or some Windows update, but not sure... Reviewed power settings (found no issues) and even created a new power profile (activating ultra performance), but no luck. Preparing to use Window restore point option, but guess it will be a loss of time... Thank you for helping. -/- Windows 10 Pro; ver. 1809 buid 17763.593
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DaveConwayUk
1 Copper

Re: Screen turns off when unplugged

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue, installed the previous version and the problem was solved.

Dell will need to fix this

TortugaGunni
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Had the same issue on my Latitude 5570, and can confirm that only a rollback to Bios v 1.19.3 was resolving it. I felt it was not just related to switch from AC to battery power but also being in a dock or not. For example, laptop screen stayed on while being in the doc while unplugging AC from dock. Sometimes screen stayed on even after undocking and randomly switched off after a few minutes. In any case, things are back to normal with the previous bios version 1.19.3. Stay away from v 1.20.4!

4 Replies
nyc10036
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Go back to your restore point. If the problem goes away, you have your answer.

DaveConwayUk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue, installed the previous version and the problem was solved.

Dell will need to fix this

TortugaGunni
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Had the same issue on my Latitude 5570, and can confirm that only a rollback to Bios v 1.19.3 was resolving it. I felt it was not just related to switch from AC to battery power but also being in a dock or not. For example, laptop screen stayed on while being in the doc while unplugging AC from dock. Sometimes screen stayed on even after undocking and randomly switched off after a few minutes. In any case, things are back to normal with the previous bios version 1.19.3. Stay away from v 1.20.4!

jminasl
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
Thanks for sharing, TortugaGunni. It's quite unfortunate that such a basic quality validation was missed by Dell before releasing the new BIOS. Don't have a dock but also noticed different behaviour while connected to a secondary monitor... Do you know if anyone from Dell is following these discussions? Or should this be reported through a different channel?
0 Kudos