Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2019 14:00

Screen turns off when unplugged

Hello all, Need your assistance with a recently noticed issue with my Latitude E5570, where the laptop screen turns off when I unplug it. The laptop continues running with no other perceivable problem (can access via TeamViewer to, for instance). If I plug it back, the screen remains off... I can get the screen back on with two options: 1. plug it and re-start it (sleep also works) or 2. plug it and allow it it trigger the screen suspension conditions (ie, no action for x minutes and activating the laptop again). The screen was working while unplugged before and, coincidence or not, my impression was that this started after laptop BIOS update to version 1.20.4 as recommended by Dell Command update app. Or some Windows update, but not sure... Reviewed power settings (found no issues) and even created a new power profile (activating ultra performance), but no luck. Preparing to use Window restore point option, but guess it will be a loss of time... Thank you for helping. -/- Windows 10 Pro; ver. 1809 buid 17763.593

1 Message

July 11th, 2019 00:00

I have had the same issue, installed the previous version and the problem was solved.

Dell will need to fix this

July 15th, 2019 11:00

Had the same issue on my Latitude 5570, and can confirm that only a rollback to Bios v 1.19.3 was resolving it. I felt it was not just related to switch from AC to battery power but also being in a dock or not. For example, laptop screen stayed on while being in the doc while unplugging AC from dock. Sometimes screen stayed on even after undocking and randomly switched off after a few minutes. In any case, things are back to normal with the previous bios version 1.19.3. Stay away from v 1.20.4!

6 Posts

August 13th, 2019 15:00

Thanks Xteknik,

going to update the BIOS again and give it a go!

5.6K Posts

June 29th, 2019 19:00

Go back to your restore point. If the problem goes away, you have your answer.

6 Posts

July 15th, 2019 14:00

Thanks for sharing, TortugaGunni. It's quite unfortunate that such a basic quality validation was missed by Dell before releasing the new BIOS. Don't have a dock but also noticed different behaviour while connected to a secondary monitor... Do you know if anyone from Dell is following these discussions? Or should this be reported through a different channel?

1 Message

August 2nd, 2019 16:00

I am having the same issue with my Precision 3510 laptop. After I install the recommended BIOS update, my screen shuts off when I unplug the laptop from AC power. However, I cannot find where I can download the previous BIOS version. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

3 Posts

August 13th, 2019 15:00

I found that I can use the Intel Control panel,
Power section, ( where the current setting is Balanced Mode & On Battery) - 
Set Panel Self refresh = Off
I was able to unplug the laptop without screen shutting off.

7 Posts

October 9th, 2019 16:00

any luck on this issue ? have you tried the Bios roll back solution ? please share your experience .

i have same issue on my dell latitude e5470  and  spent hours to fix with no luck ..

6 Posts

October 10th, 2019 00:00

Hi,

Decided not to change any setting in the Bios... Tried the other power settings solution and worked without issues. Try it as well:

Go to Intel Control panel,
Power section, ( where the current setting is Balanced Mode & On Battery) - 
Set Panel Self refresh = Off

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2020 13:00

Thanks @jminasl  so much for the tip about turning off panel self refresh in the Intel settings. 

This issue was driving me nuts on my Dell Latitude E5470.  Had tried older and latest BIOS versions.  Latest updates, everything.  Was even thinking it might be a faulty battery.  All is well now. 

No Events found!