DestinyC
1 Copper

Re: Thunderbolt TB16 + Latitude 5591 USB lag and freeze

Thanks for letting know that the issue is the TB16. I have a XPS15 (9570). All updates installed and still having the same issues. A second dock (D3100) directly on the XPS for mouse and keyboard, resolved the issues (bad workaround, I know)

0 Kudos
KaizenDart
1 Copper

I think I found a resolution, at least for now.

I went into my power plan settings and changed the USB Selective suspend settings for "Plugged In" to Disabled

Working now!

Update: nevermind, same issue after a restart

0 Kudos
Josue Soto
1 Copper

Issue continues

I had tested everything in the post. Bios update, firmware. Drivers. changing the power source charger, setting the selective usb mode to disable, etc. but issue is persistent.

I had tested the usb-c and laptop using Ubuntu Linux OS and the dock and usb works perfectly. So I think it is a windows 10 compatibility issue, with drivers and docking.

0 Kudos
dr4stic
1 Copper

Just as a side note, my organization has seen this across a number of laptops and tb16 installations. In addition to my work laptop, I have an XPS 13 9370 (brand new) and a Pluggable TBT3-UDV at home that exhibits the exact same behavior.

I don't believe this is specific to the dock. I was going to install Linux to see if it was the OS or not, but it seems someone beat me to that test. This seems to be either a Dell driver issue, or a Windows HID subsystem issue. 

It would be nice to see a fix either way, this is a stupid problem to have in 2019. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
decker12
2 Iron

Just wanted to throw in my comments about the TB16 after not writing any for 6 months:

We've stopped using the TB16. They all consistently have died or have had what I consider unacceptable amounts of issues for at least 75% of the users in my organization. I've RMA'ed several of them and the replacements end up being just as bad after a few months. I've replaced them all with Caldigit docks which work fine.

• The plastic connector with the little TB icon snaps apart very easily and breaks, leaving wires exposed. I ended up using electrical tape to keep the plastic connector snapped closed. Classy looking.
  • The USB lag and freeze issue never really went away. We would just use external USB3 hubs to fix the problem instead of using the USB ports on the TB16.
  • Firmware updates bricked several TB16s. Firmware updates on their own were a huge pain - often not starting, requiring input but the USB ports suddenly died, some not working after a couple of steps, and often requiring me to drag out a huge 220w power adapter for them to actually begin the update. Just a huge pain for what should be super simple.
  • Several TB16s simply died on me. No lights, no power, nothing. Replaced power supplies, tried higher powered ones, lower powered ones. Some of them I could fix by unscrewing them and pulling the power plug from the little motherboard and then it would work fine for a few months. Some of them I had to RMA.
  • They're just wonky for lack of a better team. They are in no way as simple and as reliable as the old E-series docking solution where you clicked into them. Considering all the screwing around and faults with them they are in now way worth the $300+ you pay for them. They're just lemons of a product. 
  • By comparison the Caldigit TB+ docks I'm using have worked consistently 100% of the time without any issues with both Macs and PCs. They just work. Once the secret got out that some of my users found relief with the Caldigit docks I had people lining up at my door looking to replace the TB16s.
0 Kudos