Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

7 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 17:00

Optiplex 7460, UEFI boot sequence empty

I have this same problem as this Latitude Laptop. Only difference is I'm cloning an image from another Dell AIO using IFW. I didn't keep UEFI or secure boot enabled because if I do I can't boot: 'no bootable media found' is the error. the original pc i pulled the image from also was done with Legacy Boot enabled, and when I go into the BIOS to turn UEFI back on the pc won't boot, so I have to keep Legacy Boot enabled. 

Using IFW to lay down the image on the target Dell, also produced the same no bootable media error. Reading what you wrote to the OP above, what am I supposed to do to get the image to work? At one point the I used my Windows boot media to install a fresh copy of windows and within windows setup I deleted all the partitions as you suggested above to unallocated space, but it still wouldn't boot. BIOS sees the NVMe drive but the pc won't boot. Now, for some reason, if I leave the Windows OS usb stick in the usb port, and boot, the image I want does boot. Bizarre. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I also DID TRY to boot using F12, from the original pc AND the target pc to lay down the new cloned image but still it won't boot. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Philip

February 3rd, 2020 17:00

P.S. If you need screenshots let me know , i will provide them! 

February 5th, 2020 06:00

Additionally,  hitting F12 with my Windows 10 Boot disk to get it to be detected with UEFI mode on as you said to do, also doesn't work. Why? I'm guessing it's because Dell prohibits you from booting from USB sticks unless your'e in Legacy Mode. That is ridiculous. Why restrict that? There is no reason for this that makes sense, and Dell is purposefully making it harder to use third party cloning tools to image large number of pc's their customers have purchased. It's frustrating, and there's no documentation that I can find that anyone was alerted to these changes when cloning PC's or doing fresh installs. 

I've tried to keep Secure Boot enabled, and going into F12 to choose my USB stick containing windows 10 and it won't detect the windows setup. Strangely, it does boot the image I'm trying to boot normally with. But when you unplug the usb stick it still goes back to no boot media found. I'm starting to think the pc is now corrupt and unrecoverable.

NVME.jpg

It is however, shown in the Device Configuration screen, from the F12 menu. (for some reason, this forum doesn't allow me to rotate my images, sorry)

recovery.jpg

So now, being forced to boot from Legacy mode just to see my external flash drive that contains a bootable Windows 10 I get this... So what am I supposed to do with this PC? It's useless

No NVMe listedNo NVMe listed

No Events found!