1 Copper

Upgraded E6520 to SSD from SATA but system reports old drive still installed

Jump to solution

Hi all, did a search and not this forum nor google seems to have come across this oddity.

I have a Latitude E6520 with Windows 10. It had a Seagate 500GB (ST500LM021) SATA drive

I cloned that to Samsung 512GB (MZ-7KE512) SSD drive then swapped them over.

The laptop booted up super fast with the new SSD and all looked good... apart from the fact the laptop (or windows) still thinks the old Seagate 500GB drive is still in there, it's not.. it's on my desk in an anti-stat' bag. 

I've optimised the sysetm for SSD. I've also ran speccy in case windows was just being a dick but speccy also reports it's the Seagate. Albeit in brackets (SATA(SSD)).

I've not had the Laptop long, is there something that needs changing in the bios? Saying that it boots up perfectly ok. Any idea's?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Upgraded E6520 to SSD from SATA but system reports old drive still installed

Jump to solution

Ok so I've found the solution. It appears to be a Windows 10 glitch. And just in case anyone else has the same issue this is what to do:

Right click "This Computer" > Right click & select "Manage" > Select "Device Manager" Then "Disk Drives" >Select the misnamed drive > Right click the drive and choose "uninstall this device".

Windows will ask to reboot, which you will do and after reboot the correct drive will now show.

I'll just add that there was no issues with the incorrectly named drive and Samsung magician recognised it with no problems, but because it was named incorrectly by Windows I could not set over-provisioning that SSD's allow you to do. Now it is recognised correctly I can, and have set the over-provisioning.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Upgraded E6520 to SSD from SATA but system reports old drive still installed

Jump to solution

Ok so I've found the solution. It appears to be a Windows 10 glitch. And just in case anyone else has the same issue this is what to do:

Right click "This Computer" > Right click & select "Manage" > Select "Device Manager" Then "Disk Drives" >Select the misnamed drive > Right click the drive and choose "uninstall this device".

Windows will ask to reboot, which you will do and after reboot the correct drive will now show.

I'll just add that there was no issues with the incorrectly named drive and Samsung magician recognised it with no problems, but because it was named incorrectly by Windows I could not set over-provisioning that SSD's allow you to do. Now it is recognised correctly I can, and have set the over-provisioning.

View solution in original post