Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:26

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2018 13:00

hello to all I also have 7275 with the same problem after updating the BIOS 1.1.34

a nightmare . how can I release such an update ...
I also add that time synchronization does not work, you can not see in the boot

how to fix the situation now????

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 04:00

how to fix the situation now????

I posted because I noticed that sometimes these community pages are looked at by Dell technicians. They tend to give reasonably inteligent suggestions if they know what's going on (e.g., I was able to re-gain acces to the OS using their support articles).

A few weeks back, the automatic MS Windows 10 Creators Fall Update also wrecked my Latitude (softwarewise only). It took more than a week to fix it. I was able to reinstall my Dell Win 10 OS from scratch but that was not "supported by MS" any more. Their automatic feature upgrade rom RTM to 1709 failed repeatedly (after hours and hours of idiotic messages on the screen). BTW, unless you disable that option in the BIOS MS can also install certain UEFI firmware packages that migh also complicate things (i.e., descriptions tend to be obscure and one rarely know what was installed automatically) 

Since the Win 10 failure I record and store everything. In the present case I have the Dell Command Update activity log, update history, etc. Microsoft was successfully sued many times for the consequences of its upgrade/update strategies (e.g., https://www.extremetech.com/computing/230794-woman-wins-10000-judgment-against-microsoft-for-forced-windows-10-upgrade).

One fix, is to 

if it fails to give a software-based technical solution to reset my machine. I shall buy a new or second hand motherboard on eBay and sue them for atual costs; my time I will have spent to to fix the consequences of their faulty update; etc. Under Australian  consumer law my rigths to recover such costs cannot be excluded. Don't know where you are but that is what I can suggest to you too.

BTW, I am learnig Linux for myself and my next tablet and computer for business are going to be Apple. That is another fix for the problem. LOL.   

5 Posts

July 17th, 2018 17:00

I had some time to play and I bought a motherboard again (US$300 on June 29 2018) into the wrecked Latitude 7275 (see my original post). Worked like a charm. Updated its windows automaticall w/o needing to reinstall. Still worked like a charm. Updated manually to latest bios and inter ME componets. Still, worked like a charm. Put Dell Command Update on autoupdate and left it. There were 2 recommended firmware updates (Inter thunderbolt and DW5811e) among the reccommended updates. It automatically restarted after updates and got stuck on the dell logo on restart. Got smart since last time and left it on for 48 hours before pressed the power button. On re-starting it buzzed and the screen remained blank completely. Any further attempt to restart failed since except: Unplugged & replugged the main and CMOS battery when it started with the usual "invalid configuration message." Running a diagnostics showed ALL Good including "boot partition," yet no booting from SDD or USB on restart. I am apparently not alone  (see   alayac on  12-12-17 at https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/XPS-9550-Latest-Thunderbolt-firmware-upgrade-destroys-HDMI-port/td-p/5187979/page/2 [bottom] and the responses to my original message in this thread).

Any ideas how to recover without buying another motherboard and never accept any updates from Dell Command Update? I do have another idea/suggestion that will eventuate but its futile to write down as dell deletes it anyway :-( (see in my original message).

1 Message

August 11th, 2018 21:00

Hi,

My Latitude 7275 got the exactly same issue after upgrading to BIOS 1.1.34 and IME 11.7. A more critical issue is that the CPU always throttled, maximum clock frequency is locked at 0.39GHz. Have you found any solution now?

After reading your thread, I tried to use INTEL-SA-00075 Detection and Mitigation Tool to check if it is the IME problem, and the results showed that ME version unavailable! You're right, the BIOS update together with IME interface program damaged the ME firmware in BIOS.

Dell has provided a way to downgrade BIOS, however even if I downgrade the BIOS to 1.1.27, the damaged ME firmware can not be restored, the rebooting and throttle problems still exist.

I am now trying to flash the Intel ME firmware manually, but I am not sure whether it will work. Can you dump a healthy BIOS image and check the ME firmware version? Because using a wrong ME firmware might brick the device permanently.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2018 05:00

I arrived to the same conclusion as you. Dump my healthy firmware from the good mobo I bought (again) and reload it manually into the wrecked ones to salvage them (got two :-(). I haven't got time to go through all the info at the URL you sent. If you already figured out how to dump the necessary healthy frimware (parts), send me point-by-point instructions and happy to get the dump for you or whatever else you need. I have a 5175 as well that just got warranty seviced by Dell (charger and WWAN) and now it is completely dead. I am trying to sort the 7175 out before dealing with the wrecked 7275 mobo's.

2 Posts

August 29th, 2018 19:00

I'm also having the same issue with my Dell Latitude 7275 after upgrading the BIOS and IME... I tried to do a recover of the BIOS by unplugging the tablet from power cable while the computer was off, held down the volume down button and plugged the power cable back in. Then I released the volume down button and got the option to recover the BIOS. But that did nothing for me, the tablet is still stuck in the Dell splash screen and sometimes just  a blank screen. Very frustrating that I they would release a BIOS without testing it out first.

2 Posts

August 29th, 2018 20:00

Looks like I finally got it revived... i have not tested the sleep or hibernate functions yet. I got  a different computer and downloaded the old BIOS then changed the name and extension to BIOS_IMG and extension to .rcv on a 16GB USB flash drive which is formatted to FAT32. Plugged the drive into a USB-C to USB-A adapter, then to the tablet. Unplugged the tablet. Held down the Ctrl and Esc key, then plugged in the power. It didn't turn on by it self so while holding the two key with on hand I pressed and hold the power key till it vibrated then released the power key, but still kept the Ctrl and Esc key pressed down. By some magic luck the tablet booted up, so I quickly downloaded the old BIOS and installed it in Windows. Tablet restarted and flashed the BIOS and other items, and finally booted back into Windows... I was going to trey to a system restore to go back before I installed the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver, but it seems like System Restore was turned off and no restore point was created.  oh well, but at least it is booted and running. Good luck to everyone who is going through this problem.

5 Posts

August 30th, 2018 00:00

Great, thanks for the info. It did not work for me but it is probably because I put in an PCIe NVME M.2 SSD after it run out of warranty. Mine got stuck in "preparing to recover" after control escape and remained there forever. I'll find its original SATA SSD and try with that. It should have the original BIOS backup as well. The NVME has known issues in preboot and Dell published a workaround for windows installations that works/updates but that did not solve the BIOS recovery issue from SSD for me. My main problem with the first dead MOBO was that it did not restart unless I used hard shut down (see my initial post in February). Consequently, could not install/update anything that relied on power state S5 (related to programmatic restart for continuing installations like it happens during BIOS installations). BIOS and some update installation did not continue after a manual shut down and restart (i.e., 5-10 sec push on power button).The second MOBO did not start at all just stuck in preparing to recover.  BTW, did you succeed to restore the ME BIOS extension as well, not just the BIOS itself? Let me know, please, if the sleep/hybernate/restart all work.

No Events found!