Latitude

Last reply by 09-14-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

Replies (393)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I am also having this issue with the Latitude 7400 model.

@medavies thanks for getting in touch. When this issue occurs do you get an error message like this image.png

And this in the device manager

image.png

What troubleshooting ave you attempted so far - i.e is the system running the latest drivers and BIOS revision?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

I'm not aware of issues with USB connections dropping. The issue we're seeing is that users who need to remote to their docked laptops from another location are having their remote sessions dropped intermittently. When I was able to recreate the issue, I observed that the wired network connection had dropped and it had switched over to wifi. My assumption is that users are not noticing when they are working locally on their machines because the switch from wired to wireless is happening without interrupting their work. I have not had reports of USB devices disconnecting as of yet which would definitely affect users working directly on their machine versus remotely.

I tried the latest 10.33.0419.2019 Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Dell TB16/WD15/DS1000/TB18DC/WD19/WD19TB/WD19DC Dock driver as well as 10.28.1002.2018 and another version that was installed by Windows 10 when I uninstalled and deleted the existing driver. So far these changes have not resolved the issue. Last night I switched one user to a WD15 dock (which we were previously deploying) using the10.33.0419.2019 driver and she reported no drops in remote desktop during her shift.

All other drivers and BIOS are up to date on the machines I've been troubleshooting.

@medavies thanks for the additional details. I have feed this back to engineering for further investigation.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

@medavies is there a way to potentially rule out the remote connection being at fault here?

Could you get a user to use the system but without the remote connection to see if it still loses the connection?

If a user used the system connected to their home network at the weekend without the remote connection for example.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

These users work both on their docked laptops locally as well as remotely and there have been no reported connection drops (or USB drops) when working locally. As I mentioned, my guess is they are unaware the machine is dropping wired and picking up wireless as it's relatively seamless to the user. Switching the two users I'm currently working with to the WD15 dock appears to have resolved the issue with remote desktop sessions dropping so the issue would appear to be isolated to the WD19 dock. They are both using the most current version of the Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver (10.33.0419.2019).

I have also not heard of any connection drops when only on wifi such as working from home or away from their desks.

@medavies thanks for confirming what we pretty much suspected that it is connected to the WD19 docking stations. I'll pass this additional info on.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

@medavies it's strange that it appears to work perfectly fine without issue on the WD15.

Can you advise what firmware you are running on the WD15?

USB-C/Thunderbolt Docks: Checking the current firmware version on your wired dock

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

My apologies, I thought I'd already posted a reply. Output of update.log after running 'DellDockingStationFwUp_1.0.6_12052018_WD15.exe /componentsvers' is below:

Firmware name:
Original version: 3.12.002
Payload version: 3.12.002

This is my forth time trying to post this...

Firmware name:
Original version: 3.12.002
Payload version: 3.12.002

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor