Latitude

Last reply by 08-04-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

Replies (383)

This is the error we see with USB dropping:

Disk 1 is the USB key I have plugged into the dock, it is showing regular controller error.

Also e1dexpress errors.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297326/some-power-management-options-are-not-availa...

Strange, we get it while the user is working, or when the system is locked and or not in use.

i should also mention that this appears to only happen when the screen is locked and the display is black. 

We are seeing the issue here with the Single connector WD19 and the Latitude 7400 2-in-1. i have a case open as well. 

Dell REC Service Request# removed

Thanks for posting the workarounds! 

I don't see the "PCI Express" -> "Link State Power Management". option in power settings. i can google it but do you remember how to unhide that? and does the workaround require doing the BIOS setting as well as the Link State Power Management Change? 

Hi Alan, Our regional Dell engineers have eluded to the fact there are 2 model variances.

There appears to be 2 versions of the WD19 which look identical. According to the latest update from our REC Senior Engineers, 'Dell' are working on a fix for WD19DC (dual connector) only. Our version is the WD19SC (single connector).

If you are following this post with an identical issue to what i initially reported, then i suggest logging a support request and posting your hardware combinations here.

From an end user/ technical / customer perspective we need clarity on the models and variances so clear root cause analysis and testing can be performed, and those with the afflicted model combinations can understand if Dell is actually aware of the issue and are in fact working on a solution.

I am experiencing issues with :

Latitude 5400 & WD19 Reg Type: K20A001

@Kimmmmy thanks for your contribution. Do you mind helping me out with some additional details please -

a) What docking station are you seeing problems with the WD19DC or the WD19TB?
b) What model of laptop are you connecting the dock to?
c) Is it only the network dropping issue you are experiencing or do you also have the problems with USB dropping out too?
d) What troubleshooting have you tried so far?

I'll drop you a private message to get some tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Thanks @qm4101 I've also dropped you a private message to get a few more details off you. 

@medavies @Gabe_ can you try this if possible and let me know the outcome of the testing please.

Thanks, 
Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

@medavies I've dropped you a private message.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Glad to know I'm not the only one...

While patiently awaiting Dell Engineers to fix this issue, i have received several 'steps to isolate the issue' from REC Engineers.Here are some which might help in your environment:

Disabled the C-State in BIOS
Disable PCI Express Link state power management under the advanced power setting of active power profile, the option may be hide by default
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right click on Start > Power Options
Additional power settings
Change plan settings for plan currently in use
Change advanced power settings
Scroll down and click on PCI Express > click Link State Power Management
"On battery > Set to off
"Plugged in > Set to off
Apply and OK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor