Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 4th, 2019 03:00

@medavies thanks for confirming what we pretty much suspected that it is connected to the WD19 docking stations. I'll pass this additional info on.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 7th, 2019 02:00

@medavies it's strange that it appears to work perfectly fine without issue on the WD15.

Can you advise what firmware you are running on the WD15?

USB-C/Thunderbolt Docks: Checking the current firmware version on your wired dock

Alan

8 Posts

October 11th, 2019 07:00

This is my forth time trying to post this...

Firmware name:
Original version: 3.12.002
Payload version: 3.12.002

8 Posts

October 11th, 2019 07:00

My apologies, I thought I'd already posted a reply. Output of update.log after running 'DellDockingStationFwUp_1.0.6_12052018_WD15.exe /componentsvers' is below:

Firmware name:
Original version: 3.12.002
Payload version: 3.12.002

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 14th, 2019 07:00

@medavies thanks for that. Speaking to engineering they have advised that the issue you are encountering is different from the one that they are investigating as there are no error messages displayed or additional droupouts of USB. This issue seems solely connected to the wired network connection through the dock.

Can you advise the exact model of WD19 dock you are using also please.

Summarising what we have discussed so far this is my understanding - 

Multiple systems connected to the WD19 docks drops connecting the wired connection and switches automatically to the wireless connection of the laptop without much observation from the users.

The latest Gigabit network driver for the docking station has been tested along with the previous revision - makes no difference, the laptop still loses the wired connection via dock.

If the users connects via wireless on the laptop, the connection is maintained.

Switching the users to WD15 dock, the wired connection has remained stable.

All other drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Have you tried switching WD19 docks between users to see if that makes any difference?

I have a network diagnostic tool that I need to send you, I am waiting on instructions on how to use it from engineering. Once I have it I will send it on.

Alan

1 Message

October 15th, 2019 05:00

I'm here to chime in and say we're suffering the same here for the 1 user that has a Latitude 5500 and WD19 dock.  I'm willing to test anything as well -- I swapped the dock out for a new one today thinking it's a bad dock, then found this post.

Please let me know if you'd like me to test as well.  

Thx

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 15th, 2019 05:00

@Gabe_ thanks for chiming in.

Can you help me out with some additional details please -

a) What model of WD19 are you using?
b) If you test the dock on another system, does the fault follow the dock?
c) What version of the Gigabit Ethernet driver are you running?
d) How long has the issue been occurring for?
e) Has the dock been tested on multiple networks for the same issue?
f) Does the system maintain a network connection if you run on wireless only?
g) Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the system?
h) Do you have any issues relating to USB dropout on the system also?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

8 Posts

October 15th, 2019 13:00

@Dell-Alan D Your description is correct. We are using Reg Type No: K20A001\Reg Model: K20A. I have not tried switching docks between users. I'm aware of 4 users that have reported the same issue with the WD19 dock when the machine is docked and connected via wired and they need to connect to it via RDC from another machine. Dropped connections that require reconnecting via Remote Desktop. I resolved the issue by switching two of those users to the remaining WD15 docks we had in stock. Thanks.

8 Posts

October 15th, 2019 16:00

While patiently awaiting Dell Engineers to fix this issue, i have received several 'steps to isolate the issue' from REC Engineers.Here are some which might help in your environment:

Disabled the C-State in BIOS
Disable PCI Express Link state power management under the advanced power setting of active power profile, the option may be hide by default
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right click on Start > Power Options
Additional power settings
Change plan settings for plan currently in use
Change advanced power settings
Scroll down and click on PCI Express > click Link State Power Management
"On battery > Set to off
"Plugged in > Set to off
Apply and OK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Posts

October 15th, 2019 19:00

Glad to know I'm not the only one...

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 16th, 2019 03:00

Thanks @qm4101 I've also dropped you a private message to get a few more details off you. 

@medavies @Gabe_ can you try this if possible and let me know the outcome of the testing please.

Thanks, 
Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 16th, 2019 03:00

@medavies I've dropped you a private message.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 16th, 2019 05:00

@Kimmmmy thanks for your contribution. Do you mind helping me out with some additional details please -

a) What docking station are you seeing problems with the WD19DC or the WD19TB?
b) What model of laptop are you connecting the dock to?
c) Is it only the network dropping issue you are experiencing or do you also have the problems with USB dropping out too?
d) What troubleshooting have you tried so far?

I'll drop you a private message to get some tag details.

Alan

8 Posts

October 16th, 2019 17:00

Hi Alan, Our regional Dell engineers have eluded to the fact there are 2 model variances.

There appears to be 2 versions of the WD19 which look identical. According to the latest update from our REC Senior Engineers, 'Dell' are working on a fix for WD19DC (dual connector) only. Our version is the WD19SC (single connector).

If you are following this post with an identical issue to what i initially reported, then i suggest logging a support request and posting your hardware combinations here.

From an end user/ technical / customer perspective we need clarity on the models and variances so clear root cause analysis and testing can be performed, and those with the afflicted model combinations can understand if Dell is actually aware of the issue and are in fact working on a solution.

I am experiencing issues with :

Latitude 5400 & WD19 Reg Type: K20A001

14 Posts

October 17th, 2019 08:00

We are seeing the issue here with the Single connector WD19 and the Latitude 7400 2-in-1. i have a case open as well. 

Dell REC Service Request# removed

Thanks for posting the workarounds! 

I don't see the "PCI Express" -> "Link State Power Management". option in power settings. i can google it but do you remember how to unhide that? and does the workaround require doing the BIOS setting as well as the Link State Power Management Change? 

No Events found!