Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

5 Posts

October 28th, 2019 08:00

John,

I do not see the PCI Express option listed in my Power Settings and I am logged in as Admin.  Can you advise?  Screenshot is attached.Power settings screenshot

1 Message

October 29th, 2019 00:00

I have a Dell 7740 and a WD19 which also have the same issues. 
Also all my drivers and BIOS is up to date. 

The dock generates more effort than it can safe. I currently thinking about to send my dock back to Dell.

You can't find any information about this topic expecting this thread. So I don't know if DELL is aware of this hudge problems.

Also when I start my pc (only my WD19 is connected) I get the error message 

"Multiple docking stations are not simultaneously supported. Disconnect additional docking stations.
Your dock connection has limitation. To continue operating normally, your system may draw power from your system battery. Please make certain both docking cables are securely connected to your system for full functionality."

If I press F1 to reboot it starts "normally" withtout touching any connected cable.

I'm a really disappointed.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 29th, 2019 06:00

@kdhatt2 I would recommend trying the following steps outlined in this non Dell link - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/100629-remove-link-state-power-management-power-options-windows-10-a.html

I look forward to hearing how you get on after trying the above.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 30th, 2019 04:00

Hi everyone, 

I have merged two threads together that outline the various issues being encountered with the WD19 docking stations.  Here is the information we have on the problem so far :-

Platforms Affected
As we understand it the issue is not system specific, it affects multiple models across the Latitude and Precision platforms.

Docking Stations Affected
Its currently affecting the following WD19 docking stations - WD19DC and WD19SC. I have had no reports of the TB version being affected. This doesn't affect the WD15 docking station. Multiple users have confirmed the system don't exhibit the same problems when using the systems with WD15 models.

Issues seen so far
Network drop off is the most frequently seen issue. The system will lose the ethernet connection frequently and can happen within a few minutes or after a few hours of use.
There have also been mentions of USB device functionality dropping off via the docking station. Sometimes this will result in an error message appearing.

The latest information I have is that engineering are investigating the issue.

A proposed workaround of disabling Link State Power Management has been suggested as follows until we provide a fix:-

To do this in Windows 10, search for Settings > click System > click Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan settings (next to your currently selected power plan) > Change advanced power settings > scroll down to PCI Express and click the + sign > click the + sign next to Link State Power Management and set On battery and Plugged in to "Off" > Click Apply.

image.png

If you find that this power management setting option is missing please try the following :-

Open up an elevated command prompt
Click on Start > Type CMD > Right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Adminstrator"

Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.

(Add - default)
powercfg -attributes SUB_PCIEXPRESS ee12f906-d277-404b-b6da-e5fa1a576df5 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Exit the command prompt and then check the power management settings 

As soon as I can provide more information I will post back on the thread.
Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 30th, 2019 04:00

@HaikoS  thanks for your contribution to the thread.

For the multiple docking stations connected error message appearing, can you please try the following steps and let me know if it resolves the issue for you - 

Disconnect the docking station from the system and then boot it into the BIOS with the ac adaptor connected directly to the precision. (To access the BIOS, power on the system and keep tapping the F2 key in rapid succession.)

Navigate down to System logs and then BIOS events. There should be a listing of every time the message appears. Click on "Clear Log" and then apply and Exit.

Once done, connect up the docking station and see if the error message returns. If it does so, again disconnect the docking station and update the BIOS , even if it is to the same version

Alan

5 Posts

October 30th, 2019 05:00

Alan,

I was able to get the Link State Power Management option added through the link you provided and turned it to OFF on both options battery and plugged.  However, the problem still presents itself with the disappearing network connection.  Let me know if I should try something else.

Hoping for a fix soon.....Thanks!

23 Posts

October 30th, 2019 18:00

Hi Alan,

"Its currently affecting the following WD19 docking stations - WD19DC and WD19SC. I have had no reports of the TB version being affected." 

Allow me, then, to be the first to report that my WD19TB has this same ethernet dropping issue.

The dock NIC completely drops out (plays the USB disconnect sound) and immediately comes back online.

Using a Latitude 5490.  I had to update it to the latest bios as it wouldn't boot with the dock connected.  Got that fixed, updated all drivers... tried the PCI power management thingy mentioned, tried disabling green ethernet, EEE, and other various NIC settings, but it's a hardware drop from the NIC itself, as if I unplugged a USB NIC and reconnected it.  Note, it ALSO drops even with no ethernet cable connected to it.

I don't lose any other peripheral.  Monitors, keyboard, and mouse all stay working and power continues flowing.

I finally had to connect my ethernet to the port on the PC... getting frustrated, especially since my old E-Port replicator never had an issue..

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 31st, 2019 04:00

@Russael thanks for adding the information about the TB, I shall feed this back.

Additionally, thanks for this piece of information - "Note, it ALSO drops even with no ethernet cable connected to it."

That's quite interesting to know, no one else has provided this piece of info so far.

Thanks again for this info, I'll drop you a private message for some tag details.

Alan

23 Posts

October 31st, 2019 10:00

No problem.  The dock is personally owned, but the laptop is a corporate machine so certain troubleshooting steps may be limited.  I am able to update drivers and bios at least. 

Noticed it disconnecting as I had left my sound on while I had my ethernet jacked in to the laptop.  Saw the dock ethernet had bounced.

It has on a few occasions dropped a windows code 43 on it and wouldn't restart the dock NIC without unplugging the whole dock, power cycling it, and reconnecting everything.

5 Posts

November 1st, 2019 09:00

This fixed it for me.

Latest installer version: 2.45.2019.0618 ,A18 per important info on the driver download page it installs version Windows 10 - 10.33.0419.2019.

14 Posts

November 4th, 2019 10:00

Did anyone else have any luck with this driver? i noticed its the same version of driver as one that i had already tried but it looks like dell recently updated the package.xml in it (which i assume is a model support list). i doubt it fixes the issue (since the driver hasn't changed) but wanted to check with others. 

23 Posts

November 4th, 2019 17:00

It didn't with me.  Been running that specific Win10 driver and it continues to bounce.

1 Message

November 5th, 2019 10:00

I had a problem with the connection of the actual cable that goes to the laptop and this is how I fixed it for the WD15:

on the docking station, the cable that goes to the laptop is actually a plug that plugs into the docking station. If I ever bumped it, it would disconnect everything and reconnect, sometimes missing the monitor function. 

if you look on the bottom of the docking station, there is a flap that reveals the mounting plate that holds the plug in place. If you remove the two screws, and flip the plate over so that it holds the plug in tighter this will solve this problem because there is an offset on the pegs that hold the plug in.. this fixed the problem I was having immediately! I could throw the thing a round and it would stay connected!

I hope this helps someone as I had a colleague with the same problem and fixed his too!!!!

1 Message

November 6th, 2019 06:00

I found that if you go to the BIOS and change the Thunderbolt settings to 'No Security', it resolves the issue once the system boots up. Give that a try

9 Posts

November 6th, 2019 07:00

Did you manage to find a Group Policy Setting? I also rather not change every laptops setting manually.

Cheers

No Events found!