Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

9 Posts

November 8th, 2019 04:00

The couple of PC's I manually manually unticked 'stop devices when my screen is off to help save battery power'. Still disconnect from network when locked.

I have also logged into device manager and where the power management setting is available on USB and Network card, i have unticked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Again the laptop is disconnecting from the network when the screen is locked. This cause their programs to crash.

I've also tried some of the registry changes to show additional sleep timings in power management. Again these haven't helped.

We are using Latitudes 5500 laptops with the Dell WD19 dock. Windows 10 Enterprise 1803. All drivers and BIOS are up to date, including the Realtek  drivers for the dock. The network connection is via ethernet cable.

Are there any other suggestions to try?

November 8th, 2019 08:00

Windows 10 solution for network stop working (it worked for me):

Device manager -> Network adapters -> Realtek USB GbE Family Controller -> Properties -> Advanced

Disable 3 items (sorry but I can only write it in portuguese as my windows is in... portuguese eheheh):

1) Ethernet de consumo de energia eficiente

2) Ethernet verde

3) Idle power saving

In case you don't have these options, you must first install latest drivers with WD19 dock connected.

1 Message

November 11th, 2019 08:00

We purchased three 7740's and the WD19 dock station.  The dock is pure garbage.  Blue screens, lock ups, USB ports disconnecting, and the Ethernet port dropping out.  Once we took the dock out of the equation the laptops are solid.

Maybe in another 3 months Dell will figure out what the hell is going on and fix these.  We had similar problems with the 7710's and the dock.  After about 6 months they were solid after many firmware and bios updates.

How Dell lets something like this happen over and over with their new products floors me.  Especially when you pay 7k for a laptop.

5 Posts

November 11th, 2019 11:00

Capture.PNG

works also for me changed "Energy-Efficient Ethernet" to disabled and now the ping to google.com is stable

23 Posts

November 11th, 2019 12:00

I found that changing a lot of the "green" energy saving items made it marginally more stable, tried changing the power profile on the PCI Express bus to off, but it still drops occasionally.  Sometimes not at all during a working day, sometimes it goes down so much that windows disables it.

Today, so far, it has dropped just once, and that was about 30 minutes in to the work day.

Presently, at least with the machine I'm using, there is no way to stabilize the ethernet port.

November 12th, 2019 01:00

Now that I could read the print from @proempie , let's re-list, now in english, the 3 items people have to disable in order to make network works ok:

1) Energy-Efficient Ethernet

2) Green Ethernet

3) Idle Power Saving

Have a good surfing!!!

Note my network is working without any fail since I configured like this (4 days ago). 

9 Posts

November 14th, 2019 04:00

Thank you for posting that solution. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked. I changed the settings yesterday, but the user is still reporting the issue today.

I'll keep looking. there will be a setting somewhere.

23 Posts

November 14th, 2019 17:00

For the last several days, my WD19TB would drop ethernet just once in the morning, and then it would stay stable for the remainder of the workday.

Yesterday, I went to the office where I have a WD15 dock.  I stayed on that for 9 hours without any sort of issue.  No drops of any kind, etc.  No other drivers to install, no other changes needed to be made.

Today, back on my WD19TB, the thing disconnected multiple times an hour.  After dealing with it and then getting frustrated after being disconnected 5 times, I plugged my ethernet back in to my laptop port, and continued to watch the dock ethernet drop out repeatedly for the entire day, multiple times an hour, with no network connected to it.  I had my sound on so I could hear it every time it dropped (plays a USB disconnect sound), and I had my network settings open so I could watch it disappear and reappear.

The Dell rep who has responded on this thread has indicated that the Dell engineers HAVE replicated this issue in their lab and are working on isolating the problem.  It's either going to be driver or firmware, but should be fixable with some sort of software update.

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 05:00

We are thinking on buying other dockings. We cannot role out Windows 10 on 2000 laptops.

Network drops on Dell 5400 when connected to the WD19.
This issue does not occur when the cable is directly connected to the docking.

bios verson 1.5.1 (latest)
Laptop Dell 5400
updated all drivers to the newest version
updated all firmware
updated the bios
disabled all powersettings in devicemanagement (allow the computer to turn of this device to save power)
disabled (energy efficient ethernet/green ethernet/disabled idle powersaving)
disabled (stop devices when my screen is off to help save battery)

2 Posts

November 25th, 2019 01:00

Hi All,

I have an incident opened with Dell about this issue and their last answer is that the Latitude 5400 is not fully compatible with Win10 Enterprise, only with Professional. I hope this is a bad joke but just to double check, what version of Win10 do you have installed?

2 Posts

November 25th, 2019 06:00

I'm having similar issues with network connectivity not working at all or very inconsistent with the WD19DC. Like many others this is happening on multiple 7450 w/ the wd19dc dock. We run Windows Professional so don't let them lead you down that ridiculous path that Enterprise isn't supported.

I'm asking for a refund on the docks that we currently have and testing startech.com docks.

2 Posts

November 25th, 2019 07:00

I already told them I'm not buying it but I asked for an official confirmation from the commercial. If, and that's a big if, he says the same, I'm gonna ask for a refund on laptops and docks...

2 Posts

November 25th, 2019 08:00

I didn't ready through all the pages on this topic, so if this is a repeat solution, sorry., 

The only luck that I've had with some of the laptops using this dock was turning off both battery and plugged in "Link State Power Management" in the advanced settings in battery options. 

Other than that the dock just  and was pushed to market way to quick probably trying to trying to recover from all the issues of the previous single port docks. Everything after the E port dock has come with problems that haunt IT depts.

7 Posts

December 1st, 2019 03:00

same issue with WD19 usb-c dock. Random network and USB crashes. Especially bad due to filesystem crashes. Issue started _with_ linux kernel 5.3.7 and newer. Before this kernel version, no problems with the WD19 usb-c dock. Hopefully there is a fix, otherwise this device is useless. Its too risky to attach USB drives to the dock until the problem is fixed.

1 Message

December 6th, 2019 13:00

I also am having this issue, would love to hear a solution!

No Events found!