Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

23 Posts

December 8th, 2019 11:00

Last I heard is that Dell's engineers are testing a solution, but is not ready for release yet.  I hope it comes soon, and it fixes the problems, and doesn't introduce new ones. 

1 Message

December 9th, 2019 12:00

I am experiencing the same issue as I deploy a large order of Latitude 5400/WD19s.  I've temporarily put a hold on deploying hoping a fix will be released soon.

7 Posts

December 20th, 2019 00:00

any idea if this "fix" is also in the bios update for 54XX? quote from 7X40 1.5.1 bios: - Fixed the issue where the Ethernet disconnects when the system is connected to a dock. Has anyone tested the dec 2019 bios version, if this fixes the dock problems?

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 04:00

I had similar issues with XPS and Vostro laptops and  the WD19. The ethernet connection dropped when I locked windows (windows key + L) and left the computer alone.

This solution worked for me:

Download the latest Realtek-Ethernet driver (updated December 21st, 2019) and install it. (Link: https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/dell-wd19-130w-dock/drivers) Go to device manager, choose network adaptors and select "realtek usb gbe family controller" -> Properties -> Advanced and deactivate "Green Ethernet".

7 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 12:00

feedback on the Bios update: The update that Dell made leads to a "reconnect/reboot" of the Dell WD19 dock. This kinda fixes the ethernet disconnection issue. After the reboot the network device is functioning again. For attached USB hard drives this is catastrophic. Just think about transferring files to an attached USB disk and unplug/replug the USB cable....so, I am waiting for further updates/patches by Dell.

23 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 14:00

I downloaded the new bios update (Latitude 5490) with a WD19TB and installed it today along with the latest Intel chipset drivers.  Moved Ethernet back to the dock and so far, so good.  I returned all settings back to default (green ethernet on, power save on, the works for the dock's realtek driver) and no drops.

Will update again on Friday if it continues to behave.

I was expecting a dock update but preliminary trial suggests the PC itself needed a bios update.

23 Posts

December 24th, 2019 16:00

*sigh*  Ethernet dropped twice on me first thing in the morning.  Re-disabled power saving on the realtek ethernet and it remained stable for the remainder of the day.

7 Posts

December 27th, 2019 12:00

summary of the current situation for me: behaviour before the latest bios update: ethernet connection stopped after a while and the system needs to be rebooted. : behaviour with bios version 1.6.1: the ethernet connection drops but recovers without a system reboot. | behaviour without the dell dock: no drops of the ethernet connection. Expected behaviour with the dell dock: no drops of the ethernet connection. <-- this is just for the ethernet drops. The USB drops are catastrophic as I explained earlier with a probability of data loss.

2 Posts

December 27th, 2019 22:00

Dear Dell,

same here have this problem with Latitude 5400 + WD19 Dock, ethernet dropping 1-10 times within in the day.

When you release new firmware to fix that issue?

December 31st, 2019 10:00

I think I found a solution to these problems! Go into the BIOS > System Configuration > Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration > Change the configuration to be "No Security" (Display port and USB only may also work).  Apply and test. When you disconnect your laptop from the dock and then reconnect it, the wireless mouse and other ethernet connection will continue to work.

December 31st, 2019 11:00

This solved the issue for me:

Go into the BIOS > System Configuration > Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration > Change to "No Security" > Apply and test.

7 Posts

January 6th, 2020 11:00

yay! much kudos to ProblemSolver2020! Configured the port to "Display port and USB only" and did some quick tests. Which succeeded!! So no longterm experience yet, but I am hopeful!

2 Posts

January 7th, 2020 23:00

For me updating the BIOS didn't fix this issue. I had to download the latest driver for Dock WD19 and disable the Energy-Saving options for the Docks's Ethernet port in the device-manager.

Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver (https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/dell-wd19-130w-dock/drivers)

2 Posts

January 10th, 2020 02:00

for Latitude 5400 not have this option in BIOS.

Dear Dell, Please update your Dock Station firmware and fix that! 

I'm tried all way from this topic, but any one option not fix this issue.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2020 05:00

I am facing similar issues. Although the Network dropping is not my biggest concern.

I use a Latitude 5401 with a WD19 dock with 2x 1080p screens, one being the Dell P2418HZm.

That has a camera and audio build in, but I cannot connect the USB of the monitor to the dock, because the camera will connect and disconnect constantly. Producing the USB device plugged-in sounds..

When connecting the USB directly to the laptop, no issues. But that defeats the purpose of a dock..

Last week moved to different location, flex workspace, so different dock and screen, same issue.

Set in BIOS the security to none for Thunderbolt devices, did not help.

No Events found!