Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

April 27th, 2020 05:00

If you're still having trouble with the WD19, I can recommend the D6000 - https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/452-bcyt - it's the one I use on my desk at work and it's flawless.

Regards

April 27th, 2020 09:00

I am having the same issue, but with a VisionTec VT1000.. I have all of my drivers, Windows 10, etc. updated. I just downloaded the updated Display Link driver and tried that. It seems like the USB is dropping out.

11 Posts

April 30th, 2020 12:00

We tried the green ethernet option first but that didn’t solve the problem for us unfortunately. With the settings in power scheme set to disabled and green ethernet untouched we don’t experience any dropouts here.

14 Posts

We noticed the same thing early on where it happens when the machine is idle and the screen is sleeping too. If changing the power settings isn't an option then just use the script that i posted here a week or so ago that disables green ethernet. We rolled it out company wide and it's solved the issue for us. 

11 Posts

We have been dealing with this for some months and we might have found a workaround for this problem.

We discovered the network / usb dropout happens when a system is locked and eventually turns off the monitor. We disabled that in power scheme and set it to never and we didn’t experience any drops. 
I’m wondering if this workaround works for other people too.

7 Posts

May 5th, 2020 11:00

HAS DELL FIGURED OUT A FIX TO THIS ISSUE???

I cannot get an Inspiron 7391 to remain connected to ethernet via a WD19 dock.  I have tried every and all suggestions in this post.

I have a brand new Inspiron 7391 for a small business set up, and a WD19 dock.  I HAVE TRIED TWO NEW 7391's, returning the first laptop assuming it had a hardware issue. 

I have tried TWO new WD19 docks, thinking it was a dock hardware issue (no dice).  I have verified all drivers and WIN10 OS updates are CURRENT.  Nonetheless, the ethernet connection is UNSTABLE for any length of time, and the intermittent ethernet disconnections do NOT appear to be a result of monitor or laptop sleep modes.  Quite frankly, the laptop/dock just can't seem to complete the most basic of tasks (maintaining an ethernet connection).

I have a WD19TB on the way, I am hoping a THIRD dock might be the charm, but considering the drivers appear to all be the same for the WD19 family, I am not overly optimistic.

I'm really hoping the only solution IS NOT to go out and buy a Lenovo, but time is of the essence.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH TIME dicking around calling India, waiting for callbacks that don't happen, screwing with ethernet cables, reinstalling software, verifying network/ISP configurations, and laptop settings, for what SHOULD have been a very straightforward laptop/workstation set up.  This is really, really creating some bad vibes towards DELL.  

25 Posts

May 14th, 2020 05:00

I have the same problem

Dell 5400, WD 19 (K20A    K20A001) - usb-C

W10 Pro 64bit  - 1909

I tried all sugested solutions, nothing helped.

Network is still disconnecting especially when computer is locked. Very annoying.

I had E-Dock with 5440 and older and everything was functional for years. I am very disappointed.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2020 09:00

Can you please link to the May 2020 driver? I'm only finding August 2019.

7 Posts

I just wrote a long response, hit post, and got an "unexpected error" message.  Par for the course with DELL it appears.

I resolved the issue by purchasing the Thunderbolt version of the dock.  Ethernet is rock solid now.  I noticed setting it up that there was a May 2020 driver update for the WD19 dock family dated the same day I received the WD19TB.  Support Assist did not catch the needed update (thanks S.A.!) but I installed the driver update and plugged in the WD19TB.  All ethernet issues now are resolved.  I have green ethernet enabled, all security TB items disabled in BIOS, and the laptop is staying connected to ethernet going in and out of sleep, no issues. I have tested over several days, and I'm confident the connectivity issue is now resolved.

We have a 1080 primary monitor, and an even lower res secondary, so we have absolutely no need for the TB version of the dock, but I tried it as a last ditch effort.  I have no idea if the WD19 dock family driver update or the TB dock resolved the issue as I returned the DC docks that I tried before receiving the TB version.  I guess Dell is only supporting ethernet on the TB version of the dock?  Maximizing profits?  who knows......

So this whole Dell debacle cost me an extra $150 for a TB dock I don't really need, but the effing computer is working, so moving on with life.  $300 for a computer dock Dell?  Really????

Waaaaay too much time spent on this with zero help from DELL.  I will have a hard time forgetting this experience next time we need a computer.  Nothing like having to do useless laptop and dock hardware returns locally during a pandemic, and wasting countless hours of my life trying to resolve this issue, while I"m trying to work from home and homeschool my kid at the same time.  Because Dell couldn't QC hardware design or write the necessary driver code before selling me a product???????

7 Posts

You need to expand the driver to view the update details.  For whatever reason, the August 2019 shows as the release date, but when you expand and view updates it is 5.13.20 (not sure why Dell does firmware updateds this way, but who knows).

Most recent WD19 ethernet driver 

hevykevy_0-1589475079857.png

8 Posts

May 14th, 2020 10:00

Are you sure? I installed the file and the version of the "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller #x" didn't change in Device Manager... it's still 10.33.0419.2019, dated April 19th, 2019.

7 Posts

May 14th, 2020 10:00

They must be working on this driver "on the fly" or something and pushing out updates rapidly, because my WD19TB was delivered 5.6.20, and there was an update to the August 2019 ethernet driver dated 5.5.20, or 5.6.20 (I don't recall exactly) when I installed it.  Good luck!

16 Posts

May 14th, 2020 16:00

If you download that "5.13.20" driver, and unzip it, and look at the timestamps of all the files inside, the most recent one is dated 2019-06-19.

So- I don't think this is some new driver from 2020-05-13.

I guess the last update date in the driver listing is not when the driver was created, it was when the listing was last edited.

Maybe someone just edited the description of that listing...

Nothing new here...

If someone still has the old driver download - can you do a hash-comparison or something?

7 Posts

May 14th, 2020 20:00

Who knows on the dates, or dell's methodology on what anything on their driver support pages mean, I"m just an Accountant, having to delve waaaay too deep into "fun" computer "stuff" to simply get a laptop to function out of the box.  The fact that I am even posting on a computer support forum is proof of the lengths I had to go to in order to solve the issue lol!!

If the drivers are infact unchanged from 2019, then the only thing that solved the issue in my case was purchasing the more expensive thunderbolt dock.  I tried everything on this lengthy post to no avail.

Good luck everyone with this issue with a non-returnable non-TB dock...... dell does not seem to care at all that they sell docks that don't support ethernet connectivity for their USBC equipped laptops.

25 Posts

May 20th, 2020 11:00

Today I received  the 2nd WD 19 - USB-C the same model, for work ...

Now I have one WD 19 in work and one in home. Both docks have the same ethernet drop outs,

while PC is locked (idle) as I wrote before.

W10 Pro build 1909 Dell 5400 i5.

I also tried the latest Realtek GBe USB drivers ..

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software

with no luck.

Anyway I mentioned USB drops, when I backuped HDD ( Windows were locked - and dock USB failed).

It looks, like dock turn off by itself in idle....

Does anyone know, if dock has firmware, that can be upgraded ?

No Events found!