Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

16 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 20:00

Update:

Disabling Green Ethernet and Idle Power Saving on the GBE driver via Device Manager didn't work. Ethernet died again.

changes1.jpg

changes2.jpg

Laptop was in use at the time it died, and not really doing much network wise.

Using USBDeview from Nirsoft, it only shows the device as disconnected... no useful info.

Before this crash- I added in the Windows Events for Device Manager - Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub and Device Manager - Realtek USB GbE Family Controller as Custom Views to event viewer...

No relevant events posted around the time of the crash.

Checking the other Windows Event logs around the time of the crash, I can see:

System log:

Warning: [DNS Client Event] Name resolution for the name apis.google.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

then

Warning: [Netwtw08] 6062 - Lso was triggered
In the detail view of this event, it names source: \Device\NDMP1 Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz .... so that was the wifi... not the ethernet.

No further relevant events.

When the crash happens, the following devices are removed from the device tree (left if after crash, right is before crash):Annotation 2020-05-24 150922.jpg

25 Posts

May 24th, 2020 00:00

I think, that problem is, that WD 19 dock "dies" ( Windows Lock - idle) as a whole appliences,
not only ethernet, but USB and everything ....

Only FYI

I just tried  NTB in dock, but ethernet cable connected directly to NTB. Connection is stable  - no drop outs....

I really hope, that Dell will solve it ....

Dock is unusable for instance USB -> HDD backup ....

16 Posts

May 24th, 2020 04:00

Update:

Disabled Energy efficient Ethernet and Large Send Offload (IPv4 and IPv6), and disabled general windows setting to stop USB devices to save battery.

Thought I almost had it - used laptop for an hour or so - no issue. Lets it sleep for a few hours, and when I woke it up - no issues, then dropped out again after just a few minutes.

Annotation 2020-05-24 230333.jpgAnnotation 2020-05-24 1533302.jpgAnnotation 2020-05-24 1533301.jpgAnnotation 2020-05-24 153330.jpg

8 Posts

May 24th, 2020 19:00

I updated to the latest firmware from Dell, and I also downloaded those new ethernet drivers.

The problem seems to be gone for me, no problems for 72 hours now.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2020 02:00

Was that dock firmware or computer firmware?

@Bogomips99:

Like you I tired all those fixes and the problems continued. Other symptoms of note,

• USB hubs connected would also fail (monitors or keyboards with built in hubs) after a little while,
  • USB audio connected to the computer would die horribly. 
  • I could restore functions to other hubs/audio by disconnecting the dock (running on battery and losing a monitor)
  • I have the same issue with both the WD15 and WD19 docks (leading me to thing it's the PC, but hey it could be a common dock fault).
  • I have no problems on an old Latitude 5480.

8 Posts

May 25th, 2020 07:00

The one that mikelback posted:

Dell Dock WD19 Firmware Update Utility
Doky/stojany 22 May 2020

Version: 01.00.14.01, A03

Last actual: 22 May 2020

I still haven't had an issue since Friday.

Not sure if it was the firmware or the drivers that did it.

I do have the latest firmware on my laptop as well (XPS 15 7590) and everything is up to date on Windows 10, I'm also on Windows 10 Build 2004.

16 Posts

May 25th, 2020 21:00

@Matware- sorry to hear about all your other problems.

I don't use other external hubs connected to the doc or audio via doc so dunno about that...

I did have an issue with external monitor connected to HDMI which had a momentary "glitch" once or twice a day... but switched over to DP, and all has been fine since.

Look - there is not much to say about this - the Dell docs are horrible.

We're all for buying them!

Next time look for another brand.

16 Posts

May 26th, 2020 20:00

Gentlemen, I think I have a fix!

I've been running this for 3 days now, and no Ethernet drop!

This is a variation of an earlier posts about a new registry change in Realtek's own driver...

You need to unhide the "Link State Power Management" advanced power option. This page tells you how:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/100629-remove-link-state-power-management-power-options-windows-10-a.html

The PowerShell option didn't work for me... but the registry-add did work:

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/168736d1513630896-remove-link-state-power-management-power-options-windows-10-a-add_link_state_power_management_to_power_options.reg

Once you have that, open Power Options > Change Plan Settings:

111.jpg

Then Change advanced power settings:

222.jpg

Then you'll notice the new power setting - PCI Express > Link State Power Management:

333.jpg

I changed my Plugged in option to Moderate power savings.

The default is Maximum power savings. There is also an Off option.

I left the On Battery option at max since the doc won't be connected when on battery...

Thats it! No dropouts! I've been using this full days, with intermittent sleeping - not a single issue. I used to get the dropout within minutes.

I've even reverted all my network device's settings back to defaults (Green Ethernet, Large Send Offloads, etc) - it still works.

I'm running the latest GBE driver from Dell and the latest doc firmware (WD19):

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-nz/product-support/product/dell-wd19-130w-dock/drivers

Give it a try and post back if it works or not.

Shout to: @hevykevy @mikelback @sBacaw @iitsmetoo @mamrooij1 @Matware

3 Posts

May 27th, 2020 03:00

It looked good with 'moderate' up until I started stress testing my system, about 2 mins with high IO + GPU + CPU (compile + Unity + Blender) and then everything USB dropped, which was disappointing. I haven't patched to the latest firmware/bios yet, that is a task for tomorrow too maybe.

I'm going to try 'Off' tomorrow, and switch back to my WD19 from the WD15 (which has the same issue) I'm trying at home. 

25 Posts

May 27th, 2020 10:00

@Bogomips99 

the list of potential fixes and workarounds is really long and the PCI-E LSPM is one of them. It heavily depends on the configuration xx00 (2in1) model, bios version, driver combinations and even the windows 10 release with different patch levels, so there is no definite guide how to solve it permanently. This in mind, i am not even sure if they can fix this issues via wd19 firmware update. It has too much complexity!

Apple certification seems to have a higher priority than reliability.

16 Posts

May 27th, 2020 14:00

@Matware- might be two different issues here...

When I get the ethernet dropout, my keyboard and mouse and screen still works via the doc... so USB still works - only ethernet is affected. (never used audio-out though...) - I don't run such a punishing workload.

If you are experiencing a complete crash of the entire doc when stress-testing the system - that might be something else...

Grab a before-crash and after-crash screenshot of your "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" listing in Device Manager... would be interesting to see.

25 Posts

June 1st, 2020 03:00

I have these docks month and half. I must say, that only maybe 2 or 3 times, dock worked
correctly (didn't drop ethernet connection in - Locked screen state).

I tried really all advices mentioned in this thread, but no success. I'm really in temptation
to send both docks back to seller ....

It is really insane, that Dell ignore this problem.

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 09:00

I tried to install this:

https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1566

So far looks good, but I made only one small test ....

I'll let you know if it helps.

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 23:00

Didn't help.

Long night lock and Ethernet dropped

25 Posts

June 5th, 2020 23:00

the WD19(TB) docking stations support DisplayPort over alternate mode USB-C or Thunderbolt protocol. DisplayLink is just required for the universal docks to allow connections with any USB port. 

Let us hope Dell releases an additional dock firmware in the near future to fix this annoying issues and not just one for Apple fanboys.

@"Dell"

I would appreciate to see an official statement here that we are not left alone

No Events found!