Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

March 14th, 2022 17:00

Is DELL going to address this problem, fix the issue, and mark this thread as solved?

Dell Precision 5760 user here. Same problem others are describing. Random USB and ethernet disconnects while using the hub. Sometimes recoverable automatically, sometimes by unplugging usb cable and plugging it back in, sometimes have to hard reset dock and laptop to get it to work. This needs to be resolved!

I have the latest firmware for the dock, flow control is enabled in the ethernet controller, and even updated to the latest BIOS version released recently that sounded like it addressed some other issues with this dock (Dell Precision 5760 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell Puerto Rico)

Please advise on how to resolve this.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

March 15th, 2022 06:00

All,

I see that Chris posted a few suggestions/troubleshooting. Can you please test it out and let me know if that helps or not.

Thanks.

March 15th, 2022 15:00

@DELL-Nathalia M What other steps should I run other than the ones I mentioned in my post above?

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

March 16th, 2022 07:00

Hi @Reverence89 

Those are the steps we have so far. I need more users testing it out, cause if it doesn't work for the majority of you, I can reach out to the team with a feedback saying it's not solving the issue.

1 Message

March 16th, 2022 12:00

Hello Nathalia,

I can confirm I have followed npifer86's steps with no luck. I have also enabled Flow Control within the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller. The machine still seems to be periodically dropping ethernet connection. 

This is on a Latitude 7420 + WD19TB docking station.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

March 17th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

Just confirming the latest recommended setup

Laptop has the latest available BIOS

WD19 docking station firmware installed latest version 1.00.21.01

Realtek USB GbE Family Controller installed latest version 10.8.914.2021

Windows is using Modern Stadby
Test status with command: powercfg -availablesleepstates
Result:
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

Realtek USB GbE Family Controller driver, go to the "Advanced" tab
- "Flow Control" is "Rx Tx Enabled" by default

- "Modern Standby WoL Magic Packet" must be enabled. By default it's disabled.

1 Message

March 25th, 2022 03:00

I use XPS 9560 - I have the same problem on this computer with TWO diferent docking statnio

5 Posts

March 29th, 2022 06:00

Hail all,

We have at office 18 desks having all Dell equipment, consisting from monitors, down to laptops XPS 13 9310 and WD19TBS docking stations. I came across to this topic searching for a solution to an issue we faced which actually is packet loss on the USB Realtek NIC of the WD19TBS which probably guess is same to the WD19TB (this topic). Pinging main router or any other lan device result in 18% loss. Troubleshooting with DELL support and testing anything i found on these 36 pages and also their suggestions, but issue remained.

The issue was solved last night when i have installed an older driver from 2020, specifically driver version 10.39.20.518 / file version : 10.39.0518.2020)  from here : https://www.realtek.cz/download-driver-nr-513-for-realtek-RTL8152-and-Windows10-64bit.html 

Logically there should be probably more driver versions that may solve this, but this worked from me for at least the 14 docking stations/laptops i had in office today.

Have contacted with DELL support to escalate this to their research dpt. as a feedback and narrow down to the cause and offer an updated solution in coordination with Realtek and via the Dell support platform.

Maybe this works for you too.

23 Posts

April 6th, 2022 11:00

Credits to MJRunnheim post on page 8 of this topic. His suggestion to disable EnableGreenEthernet and EnableExtraPowerSaving solved the lost LAN connection after Sleep mode. When these are enabled, the LAN adapter would disappear after a wake up or could not connect anymore and a restart was needed.

Tested it on a 5520 and 7520 connected to a WD19S docking. (with and without latest firmware).

With (remote) powershell you can change them aswell:
set-netadapterAdvancedProperty -InterfaceDescription 'Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller*' -RegistryKeyword EnableGreenEthernet -RegistryValue 0

set-netadapterAdvancedProperty -InterfaceDescription 'Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller*' -RegistryKeyword EnableExtraPowerSaving -RegistryValue 0

The other suggestion found on this forum to delete the device from device manager and choose for delete driver so it would use a Microsoft driver instead might fix this as well, because I think it is not having the above energy settings.

23 Posts

April 6th, 2022 11:00

Thanks! This is a working fix!
Tested it on a 5520 and 7520 connected to a WD19S docking. (with and without latest firmware).
After disabling both values, the Realteak LAN adapter restored connection after wake up from sleepmode.

With (remote) powershell you can change them with:
set-netadapterAdvancedProperty -InterfaceDescription 'Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller*' -RegistryKeyword EnableGreenEthernet -RegistryValue 0

set-netadapterAdvancedProperty -InterfaceDescription 'Realtek USB Gbe Family Controller*' -RegistryKeyword EnableExtraPowerSaving -RegistryValue 0

The other suggestion found on this forum to delete the device from device manager and choose for delete driver so it would use a Microsoft driver instead might fix this as well, because I think it is not having the above energy settings.

1 Message

April 26th, 2022 12:00

We have 45 19S docks being used with Dell 5520's and keep getting this error when trying to use external monitors.

" the USB device malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it"

Tried most of the fix's listed but still getting the error on the docks. 

4 Posts

April 27th, 2022 04:00

My constant Ethernet dropouts when using WD15 are fixed by disabling "Idle Power Saving" on the "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller".

In my case this setting reverts to "Enabled" whenever I update Windows Insiders build, so I just have to keep disabling it after each update.

4 Posts

May 12th, 2022 11:00

I'll revisit these options and see if that does the trick! After getting a bit too excited, I learned we are indeed still experiencing issues after all the steps I previously posted.

1 Message

May 20th, 2022 08:00

@qm4101 wrote:

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

The issue does also occur with the WD15 dock and an XPS 9305 running Windows 10 and 11.

The remedy is similar: disable EnableExtraPowerSaving and EnableGreenEthernet.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 05:00

Hello Everyone, still having issues here with  every WD19S and new laptops 5500 / 5510 / 5520.

Posting what I tried so far to keep the post alive :

- Update ethernet usb driver (from dell and from realtek)

- Update dock firmware

- update PC firmware

- In the realtek usb network card

- Disable EEE

- Disable Energy-Efficient Ethernet

- Disable IDLE Power Saving 

- Enable Modern Standby Wol Magix Packet

- Enable Flow control

- In Settings Panel - USB Section    

- ntick the last box where it says Stop devices when my screen is off to help save battery.

- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0004

EnableExtraPowerSaving= 0

EnableGreenEthernet = 0 (disabled)

Nothing worked.

No Events found!