Latitude

Last reply by 09-14-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

Replies (393)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

However - we still have these issues

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello, adding another Me TOO!!! 

this is very tiresome, my docking station keeps losing USB connection and ethernet connection and i need to reset it / the PC to make it work again.

IT guys reinstalled my drivers and replaced 2 docking stations, 1 same wd19S and one older (i think wd15 but not sure).

my pc is Latitude 7420

found this and it kind of helps to know that im not alone on this but also i understand that salvation is not close...

does anyone knows of a different docking station that has minimum 2 HDMI/display ports and doesnt do this problem with the dell pc? have you tried replacing it with non DELL models?

Community Manager

This can happen with the WD19/S/DC/DCS if Flow Control has been Disabled in the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Locate your Service Tag or Serial Number

We have similar style of issue, where the ethernet shows connected but connection is actually broken. User cannot do anything until their wifi connection takes over. This locks up their sessions to their data source making a bigger issue for their work. It has become a major hassle. Have issues with these ethernet interfaces for quite some time and having to manage updating the 35 plus devices drivers constantly is a hassle. I hope these updates get to a stable version soon. 

I am in exact same position. Got brand new models of laptops and docking stations to enable remote work for our county government. Have had nothing but headaches with these docking stations since the brand new expensive-as laptops were purchased. I believe they have required somewhere close to 7 BIOS and Firmware updates in less than a year and a half.

It has been majorly effecting our business operations with users getting disconnected and locked out of sessions to their primary data source. As a lone IT admin with endless tasks to deal with, constantly having to respond to help desk calls about network connectivity and requiring driver updates is the last thing on the list I want to be dealing with or working on. Troubleshooting these devices has sucked up a massive chunk of my time that could have been spent better working on bigger mor important projects.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

We have already confirmed that Flow Control is not disabled in our case. The issues myself (and it would appear others in this thread) are experiencing are still occurring. 

Even after everything in my previous post above, we are still experiencing issues with network connectivity dropping. Flow Control is enabled by default.

npifer86_0-1647280152400.png

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Is DELL going to address this problem, fix the issue, and mark this thread as solved?

Dell Precision 5760 user here. Same problem others are describing. Random USB and ethernet disconnects while using the hub. Sometimes recoverable automatically, sometimes by unplugging usb cable and plugging it back in, sometimes have to hard reset dock and laptop to get it to work. This needs to be resolved!

I have the latest firmware for the dock, flow control is enabled in the ethernet controller, and even updated to the latest BIOS version released recently that sounded like it addressed some other issues with this dock (Dell Precision 5760 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell Puerto Rico)

Please advise on how to resolve this.

Community Manager

All,

I see that Chris posted a few suggestions/troubleshooting. Can you please test it out and let me know if that helps or not.

Thanks.

DELL-Nathalia M
Social Media Support, Community Manager
#IWork4Dell

(If this reply helped you solved the issue, please remember to click the option Accept as SolutionSe a resposta recebida ajudou você a resolver o problema, lembre-se de clicar na opção Aceitar como solução.)

@DELL-Nathalia M What other steps should I run other than the ones I mentioned in my post above?

Hi @Reverence89 

Those are the steps we have so far. I need more users testing it out, cause if it doesn't work for the majority of you, I can reach out to the team with a feedback saying it's not solving the issue.

DELL-Nathalia M
Social Media Support, Community Manager
#IWork4Dell

(If this reply helped you solved the issue, please remember to click the option Accept as SolutionSe a resposta recebida ajudou você a resolver o problema, lembre-se de clicar na opção Aceitar como solução.)

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor