Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

S

17 Posts

July 25th, 2022 07:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Windows 11 & issues with network connection on a dock

Checking to see if anyone else has seen this problem.  Latitude 5520 on a docking station, running Windows 11.  The network connection keeps flaking out.  I'll have the ethernet connection symbol, then it will go to Wi-Fi then it goes to the World (disconnected) symbol. 

Here's the thing, my network connection is still working.  I can still chat on Teams, still get to websites, still receive email.  But it blips in and out while I have the world symbol.

I've rebuilt my machine, I've updated firmware on everything including the dock.  I'm on a different computer entirely with a fresh build, even tried a different docking station and it still happens.

At this point, I don't know if it's a Windows 11 bug or a Dell driver issue, but it's beyond annoying.

For now, I've unplugged the ethernet port of the dock so I can keep going without interruption, but would love to get this fixed permanently.  

Anyone else see this?

2 Posts

September 20th, 2022 14:00

I am having this exact issue with only 1 machine and have 22 exact setups some running Win 11 and some still on Win 10. I was able to resolve for a short time by uninstalling USB Ethernet and deleting driver and re-scanning and letting Windows reinstall. No reboot and it started working for a few hours then switched back to wifi when it failed and now will not connect after disable re-enable. I have deleted this time as I want to find a real fix. I replaced the Dock with a spare and had the same issue. Disconnecting Dock and reconnecting from machine didn't resolve. 

2 Posts

September 20th, 2022 16:00

I discovered this after a bit of digging. I was running the latest version of Driver for the USB G Ethernet however I ran the driver updater. Realtek-USB-GBE-Ethernet-Controller-Driver_3K7FF_WIN_1153.6.0418.2022_A27_01

During the install process I noticed that on the removal of the previous driver that it connected to my network then as it began installing drivers it went right back to no connection. After it completed it was not connected as it was before. I then went to the driver and rolled it back to previous and it immediately connected. So the latest driver breaks the Dock's Ethernet. 

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

September 20th, 2022 23:00

Did you try

Network adapters -> Realtek USB gbit ethernet controller -> Properties -> "Configure" -> "Advanced" -> Idle Power Saving > Disable.

?

17 Posts

September 21st, 2022 05:00

Figures...takes months for them to figure this stuff out.  Appreciate the reply!

7 Posts

Hello together, 

Today i had contact with the Dell Support. 

They told me all XX20 Systems have the same issue with windows 11.  Dell knows it is a USB GBE Driver issue.

"Intel is already working on a version of the USB GBE driver optimized for Windows 11. However, a definitive release date for this has not yet been set."

17 Posts

Hello, 

Thanks for the response, yes, I've seen it both ways where one tells you turn off the Power Saving functions and one that tells you to turn it on.  Doesn't seem to help either way.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2022 15:00

I had the same issue and this fixes it. Thanks

1 Message

October 12th, 2022 11:00

Yup I'm having the same issues, reverting back to Windows 10.

7 Posts

October 13th, 2022 07:00

We are having the same issue with 5420s and 5430s on Windows 11 with both the WD19s dock or Dell Monitors with Ethernet. Both use the Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller. We have tried all Dell drivers, BIOS and dock firmware updates that are available.

The problem does not happen all the time or even every day but effected users do see it all around the same time. Seems odd and also makes it hard to trouble shoot. We have also found unplugging and using just WiFi or using the laptops onboard Intel ethernet works without issue.

I did find that Realtek has a newer driver(1153.8.x) that DELL has yet to publish:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software

I couldn't find release notes but from what we saw after installing it on two computers it turns energy efficient ethernet and green ethernet to disabled. The driver on Dell support (1153.6.x) has those both enabled. You can find those setting on the advanced tab in the driver properties. I am not sure if this muddies the waters more or not.

I contacted our Dell reps yesterday asking if they can connect me with an engineer or someone that can speak to when that drive might be available from DELL and if they know about the issue. After relaying the info to a "Client Technologist" they told me calling the 1-800 number and putting in a support ticket would be best way to start.

1 Message

October 13th, 2022 07:00

To Dell Support... RealTek has a newer driver with different Advanced options? The two I have noticed are around Green Ethernet. After installing, In the newer Realtek driver the Green Ethernet is disabled and Energy Efficient Ethernet is disabled. The Realtek drive that came down from Dell SupportAssist both those settings are enabled. Are there other differences? and why?

7 Posts

October 13th, 2022 08:00

UPDATE: I guess the new driver from Realtek is not the fix. Three clients including myself are seeing it happen as I type this. It is odd that it happens at the same time for multiple users then is fine before and after.

17 Posts

October 13th, 2022 08:00

Bummer.  That would have been good for something to fix this. It's been going on for months.

October 19th, 2022 02:00

Bios of the Dock or the laptop - what bios version?

7 Posts

Seems the last BIOS update fix the problem

Hi i see the same problem nic on docs not working with or wo flow control 

No Events found!