Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

February 17th, 2022 10:00

Windows Safe Mode not available

I have a Latitude 5420 which is a work laptop.

I tried to install a USB external monitor but it sent the laptop into a reset loop

This has happened previously on another laptop and I just went into Safe Mode, uninstalled the Driver, and then it was fine.

But on the Latitude 5420 I can't get into Safe Mode.  I've tried the following:

• Boot up.
  • Press Esc to go to Bitlocker Recover - enter the long key (I think 48 numbers)
  • Automatic Repair fails, then shows the "Troubleshoot/Turn off your PC" screen
  • I select Troubleshoot.
  • I see the below screen - but no Startup Settings (as described here)

HSS001_0-1645122121206.png

I've tried ringing my internal support desk but they say a Full Rebuild will be required...!

Anyone know why Safe Mode isn't available?

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

February 18th, 2022 00:00

Power on and off your computer three times

How do you do that?

Power on, when you see the Windows Logo - power off

Power on, when you see the Windows Logo - power off

Power on, it will then your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

You might be asked to sign in with your Microsoft Account or Local Account password.

Click Advanced Options
Click Troubleshoot
Click Advanced Options

Click System Restore, see if you can go back to an earlier time.

If not, boot into the recovery environment again, then try performing a startup repair.

Perform the startup repair a couple more times then restart again to see if you are able to boot to the desktop successfully.

If that does not work, boot into the recovery environment, then click 'Go back to previous version of Windows'

If that does not work.

Power on and off your computer three times
On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment
Click Advanced Options
Click Troubleshoot
Click Reset this PC
Click Keep my files
Choose your account
Enter your password
Click Continue
Click Reset

If that does not work.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

2 Posts

February 18th, 2022 00:00

Thanks for your reply, but my question was why can't I get into Safe Mode on this laptop.

No Events found!