Highlighted
abuhasan41
1 Copper

Working but not working?

Hey guys

So...i was laying in bed as usual, surfing the web, and my legs started to get annoyed of the position so i slightly moved and suddenly my latitude turned off, completely, i tried turning it back on nothing happened, i waited a bit to let it cool a bit, still nothing happened, i pulled out the battery and stuck it in again and it suddenly started working (automatically, without me doing anything) but the screen was black, and the power button light was on, i tried pressing it and keeping my finger on it but nothing happened, it only works when the battery is stuck in, it won’t work alone with just the charger.

Ps: i don’t have a desk so i use my laptop in bed on a pillow (stupid of me) so it “boils” frequently but i didn’t think anything would happen.

i’m use my laptop a lot for work and research.

what can i possibly do?

Thank you for your replies

Yours truly, Abu Hasan

4 Replies
Highlighted
JOcean
5 Rhenium

Re: Working but not working?

Try a reset on the system. Remove the battery and unplug the adapter. Then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Reconnect everything and try to boot again. And yes, using your system in such a way that it constantly overheats is going to eventually cause damage to one or more components assuming no damage has not already been done. The following web site has more information here.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
Highlighted
abuhasan41
1 Copper

Thanks for your reply dear...

Can i also point out that, there may have been a shortage in my charger that i may have been ignorant of, i’m thinking my laptop may have had a shortage?

Also, holding the power button, does ABSOLUTELY nothing, whenever i remove the battery, it turns off (obviously) but when i put it back in, it turns on directly, it makes some noise inside but absolutely nothing happens.

Highlighted
abuhasan41
1 Copper

@JOcean 

I’ve managed to get it to work:

Take out the battery, put it back in (automatically turns on)

then keep pressing the power button until the Dell logo comes up. I put my laptop to sleep, then after some time i come back and it’s back to how it was, on but not working, power button does nothing, blank screen.

Highlighted
abuhasan41
1 Copper

@JOcean 

I have ordered a new battery and charger, fingers crossed as i think the reason may be a defect in the battery caused by a shortage from the charger.

Fingers crossed...i’m also buying a desk tomorrow and have also bought a fan for under the laptop, i gotta start treating my laptop like she’s my girl...

Yours truly, Abu Hasan