Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

June 9th, 2019 15:00

dell latitude e6430 temperature and fan

so i have dell latitude e6430 with intel hd 4000 integrated and nvidia nvs 5200m dedicated and a core i7 3720 qm so i figured my pc was not for gaming just by lunching a game like bioshock the temperature will rise to 80 C and sometimes it reaches 90 C so i thought at first that this laptop was not meant for gaming yet i noticed that the fan has a really low sound for a cheap laptop so i though that it had a problem so i downloaded a program called speed fan that supposed to show how fast my fan was going but it did'nt show any fan is there a problem with my fan or am i just worrying for nothing also if you know how to maximize the gaming performance on this laptop this would be great and i think the laptop is using both graphic cards PS:sorry for my bad english its not my first language

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 10th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Ali_G8or 

Since your laptop is 6-7 years old it would be time to replace the "Thermal Grease"

Dell Latitude E6430 / E6430 ATG Owner's Manual:

Use canned air to clean around the fan and other components.

Then apply new "Thermal Grease"

Best regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 10th, 2019 06:00

@Ali_G8or wrote:
so i have dell latitude e6430 with intel hd 4000 integrated and nvidia nvs 5200m dedicated and a core i7 3720 qm so i figured my pc was not for gaming just by lunching a game like bioshock the temperature will rise to 80 C and sometimes it reaches 90 C so i thought at first that this laptop was not meant for gaming yet i noticed that the fan has a really low sound for a cheap laptop so i though that it had a problem so i downloaded a program called speed fan that supposed to show how fast my fan was going but it did'nt show any fan is there a problem with my fan or am i just worrying for nothing also if you know how to maximize the gaming performance on this laptop this would be great and i think the laptop is using both graphic cards PS:sorry for my bad english its not my first language

Hi @Ali_G8or 

You are correct in saying that your system is not designed for gaming. Latitude notebooks are business laptops designed for everyday work related tasks. As such they don't tend to have dedicated graphics cards, very high spec RAM etc that you would normally require for gaming. Additionally, the E6430 is approximately 6 generations old, it will struggle with a lot of modern games. 

My first suggestion would be to install Dell Command | Configure and ensure the latest drivers and BIOS are installed on the system.

Once done, I would run the system fan test to see if there are any hardware issues with the fan. To do this, hold down the Fn key and power on the system to launch the ePSA diagnostics. Listening for any abnormal noises occurring during the fan test and note down any error codes returned.

To ensure you have the system setup for maximum performance, you can change the power management settings in the taskbar to Maximum Performance. To do this, right click the picture of the battery next to the clock in the system tray.

To enable dedicated graphics, you can setup your applications to use the dedicated graphics rather than integrated. This is generally done through the nVidia control panel. If you right click on the desktop and select nVidia control panel from the options you can then assign the applications to use the nVidia card.

Alan

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 10th, 2019 07:00

@Ali_G8or 

Along with @Dell-Alan D 's suggestions please try these steps.

First thing is to do a “Disk Cleanup”

Disk Cleanup#1.PNG

Check everything except “Delivery Optimization Files”

Click on “OK” then “Delete Files”

Next do a “Disk Defragmentation and Optimize”

Defrag#2.PNG

Click on “Optimize”

If an SSD is installed you do not need to run “Defrag”

Next go to “Advanced System Settings”

Performance settings#3.PNG

In the “Performance” box click on “Settings”

Best Performance#4.PNG

Click on “Adjust for Best Performance”

Then click on “Apply”

Next click on the “Advanced” tab.

PerOP#5.PNG

Make sure “Programs” is selected in the “Processor Scheduling” box.

In the “Virtual Memory” box click on “Change”

Vmem#6.JPG

Click on “Custom Size”

Set “Initial Size (MB)” larger than the “Recommended:” size.

Then set the “Maximum Size (MB)” larger than the “Initial Size (MB)”

Click on “SET” and then “OK”

REBOOT:

Best regards,

U2

2 Posts

October 19th, 2020 23:00

In a nutshell:
Try to update the Intel integrated graphics card at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000

Long version:
After having the dell e6430 for >3 years and trying all kind of different solutions (updating drivers from dell support assist, applying the best thermal pastes etc), I could not get the temperature <60-65C at idle state, meaning that the laptop was loud and hot most of the time. At some point I had trouble starting up a graphical app and when I contacted the company sharing my msinfo32 file (laptop specs) they told me that the reason was an outdated driver for Intel integrated graphics. I updated the driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000, which not only resolved my problem with the app but also dropped the idle temp of my laptop by 10-15C. This happened a few days ago, now when I am doing office work (min. 2 office programs + 3 firefox tabs) the laptop remains cool and the fan rarely works.

No Events found!