Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

January 2nd, 2020 10:00

dell latitude e6540 only charges between 10 - 20%

This problem seems to have started following the windows 10 1909 update.. Now the battery will only begin charging once it reaches 10% and stops at 20%.  Since the win 10 update I have updated the program manager and bios drivers with no effect on the issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the AC adapter and ACPI, and have also  updated the drivers for both.  I downloaded and ensured battery settings were ok in the power manager program.  

This problem is static.  There has been no change with any intervention I have tried, to include the typical troubleshooting which has thus far not indicated a battery, charger or adapter problem.  Each time the battery charge reaches 10% the battery begins charging and when reaching 20% it stops. This has been so frequent and so consistent that it seems like there is a limiter in place somewhere stopping charging at 20%.  When not charging the battery indicates:  Power mode (plugged in): better performance.   

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 11:00

Have you replaced the battery recently? You have a 2012 model that might have had several battery replacements. Make sure you have a genuine Dell replacement battery and it is not over 2 yrs old which is when today's batteries can wear down and fail to charge completely.

Buying a required new genuine Dell battery for an old laptop is not worth the expense and might not be available except from private sellers--not a good or safe choice. Try removing the battery when it dies completely and using the adapter alone. If that works use it as a desktop replacement until you can buy a new computer.

Edit-- The recent windows update has caused battery problems reported in this forum. Search the forum for answers others have tried.

No Events found!