jammusi
1 Nickel

latitude 7480 battery usage tips

hi

Just bought latitude 7480.

I'm wondering how to work, in respect with battery life time.

In the past when applicable, I used to take off battery, and working plugged in to the electricity. 

In this machine battery can not be taken out.

I guess there is some kind of battery usage and charging management.

1. Is there a need to plug out the electricity once battery is fully charged?

2. I there a way to define that when plugged in to the electricity, battery will not be used. Perhaps its actually being done automatically, so there is no problem to stay plugged in constantly. 

3. Other tips?

tx

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: latitude 7480 battery usage tips

Hi jammusi,

I would recommend installing Dell Power Manager (if it isn't already installed)

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=XJ50Y

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/power-manager_users-guide_en-us.pdf

I hope this helps.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
jammusi
1 Nickel

Hi

I have installed that. But I'm not sure i understands what to do with it.

Its called a service, but there is no service. there is program  installed. Maybe it is due to error message appear at the beginning. see image attached. 

Pressing OK, allows setup to continue. 

pErr.png

0 Kudos

Hi jammusi,

The installation instructions are on page 14 of the manual. Once setup completed, did you go to the Windows Store?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/dell-power-manager/9pd11rq8qc9k?rtc=1&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewta...

Let us know how you get on.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)

jammusi
1 Nickel

Ok. Installation successful

I set to Primarily AC Use. 

Does this means that when connected to  the AC, Is that like taking the battery out, if it was possible?

What is the influence when not connected to AC? does it make it worse than other options?

0 Kudos

Hi jammusi,

Primarily AC extends battery life by lowering the charge threshold, so that the battery never charges to 100 percent capacity. It doesn't affect the behaviour of the battery when not on AC.

I would recommend that you choose a custom setting, it will give you far greater control of what is happening with the battery. The guide explains all the options individually.

Thanks.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

jammusi
1 Nickel

If I understand correctly, AC mode set the "start at" and "stop at" values. Isn't it?

Is this is the case what custom is good for, and how do you recommend to st the values?

0 Kudos

Hi jammusi,

Yes, you can set the value at which the system will start and stop charging. For example, if you set start to 20% and stop to 80%, the system will start charging once the battery drops to 20% charge and it will keep charging until it reaches 80%.

The values you set will be down to personal choice depending how you use the computer. You may also want to consider the Adaptive setting which will optimize settings based on your usage patterns.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Wapaksi
1 Copper

Can I plug my charger whole day while working?

0 Kudos