Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2022 22:00

"Your Dock fan has failed." error, frequently on many WD19TB docks - Design/firmware flaw?

Error "Your dock fan has failed. You may experience reduced performance until your dock is serviced." error comes up on average of once every two weeks for many of my 250+ dock users.  I have had it occur 3 times this week on my dock alone.  It will now probably be another month until I see the error again on my PC.    

2022-06-30 01_10_47-photo.jpg ‎- Photos.png

I believe that there is a real flaw in the design and/or firmware of the WB19TB devices and it is either not recognized as a systemic issue or Dell is ignoring the issue, hoping that people will just continue to work around the issue without having to address it properly.  

How do we get Dell to realize and take this issue seriously?  Replacing the docks does not seem to help for much time and is a lot of hassle and wasted time and cost.  

The firmware on the WD19TB docks and Latitude 7420 PCs are up to date, the Windows 10 Pro OS is fully updated, and Dell Command updates are fully updated.  This does not help.  (Incidentally, the PCs are almost all Latitude 7420 units.)

As a workaround, we advise users to:

(This only temporally addresses the issue.)

==========

- Disconnect dock cable from PC
- Disconnect dock power supply from dock
- Wait 10 sec.
- Connect dock power supply back to dock
- Wait 5 sec
- Connect dock cable to PC
- Restart PC by holding down power button on dock for 5 sec (if computer does not automatically power on / display)
- Restart PC by pressing power button on dock

==========

Please let me know how we can best get Dell engaged properly to address this issue?

I feel like that if the right people and larger companies were involved, this would be recall and/or class action material.  

(If my company was a fortune 500 company with 60K+ WD19TB units, I could probably get their attention very easily, but it is very hard to do so as small/medium company.)

(FYI: I not too long ago I had to convince Dell they had a config/programming flaw with their F12 Dell Support Assist Recovery process for Latitude 7420 PCs.  It took me the better part of 1 months to get them to realize the systemic issue and then another 2 months of working with them and testing to get the issue truly fixed for all of the Latitude 7420 PCs.  I do not look forward to that kind of experience again.)

Thank you for your time.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

March 26th, 2024 14:09

If you’ve recently encountered this issue, Dell strongly recommends performing Dock reset followed by updating your Windows Operating System and Dell drivers.

Dock Reset Procedure:

1. Remove the dock USB-C or Thunderbolt cable from the computer.
  2. Unplug AC power from the dock.
  3. Drain any remaining power to the dock by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
  4. Plug AC power into the dock.
  5. The dock LED on the power button should blink three (3) times.
  6. Plug the dock USB-C or Thunderbolt cable back to the computer.

Windows Operating System and Dell driver updates:

1. Run Windows Update to ensure that the operating system is up to date.
  2. Run SupportAssist (all models), or Dell Command | Update (Precision, XPS, and Latitude) or Dell Update (Vostro, Inspiron, and G-Series) to update the computer BIOS and Drivers for both the computer and dock. Drivers can also be manually downloaded and installed. These computer BIOS (the computer reboots when running the BIOS update), drivers, and the drivers for the dock can be downloaded from the Dell Support Website. (The USB Audio jack driver only applies to docks with 3.5 mm jacks.)
  3. Update the dock firmware
    • The dock must be connected to the computer during the update process to detect and install the dock firmware.
    • Power cycle the dock once the firmware has been updated.
  4. Completely turn off the computer, then turn the computer on (do not skip this step, this is essential to apply the changes)
  5. Test the Docking Station to see if the issues are resolved.
  6. If the error still exists, you might consider replacing the dock. You can contact support by clicking on "Get Help Now" in the bottom right corner of this page.”

12 Posts

June 30th, 2022 08:00

Also, if you are having similar experiences, I would like to know.  Please describe them here with any relevant details, but do not any sensitive/confidential info.  thx.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2022 09:00

FYI: "DELL-Cares" in the community has requested some details about our systems.  I hope that this to some favorable outcomes.  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 30th, 2022 20:00

You mentioned WB19TB and WD19TB in your OP but I assume you did mean WD19TB.

Do you have the all the latest firmware and drivers installed for this dock? Firmware 01.00.24, A07 applies to the WD19TB dock and:  "Fixed the issue where the Dell Dock WD19 cannot be detected after plugging it in to the system." This might be related to the error message you're seeing.

Be sure to select the correct OS from the list before downloading/installing any drivers.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2022 21:00

You are correct.  The model is "WD19TB"  (not WB19TB).

The most updated firmware "01.00.24, A07" unfortunately does not resolve the "Your Dock fan has failed." issue.

thx.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 1st, 2022 11:00

I pinged by Dell contacts with a link to this thread...

12 Posts

July 1st, 2022 13:00

Dell has agreed to replace any of the identified units having the fan error issue.

It will take some time to gather all the relevant data: Dock Service Tags, Users' names and mailing addresses, etc.

I think that we will also need to keep a close eye on the replacement units to make sure that the replaced units do not also have the same issue.  

I'll keep you up to date.

Thank you for your thoughts and input.  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 1st, 2022 16:00

Glad they're going to replace those units...

Hope the new ones don't have the same problem.  Keep us posted...

12 Posts

July 27th, 2022 09:00

Dell replaced the impacted units. Thank you, Dell.  If any more units come up with the same issue, we will report to Dell and, I imagine, that they will replace them too.  

thx.

1 Message

August 9th, 2022 07:00

Hi LoganFive... we have seen this in one unit to date, (on the slightly different WD19TBS).  Curious - did they replace the units with the same model (WD19TB)?  We are now ordering the WD22TB4's and are hoping that they have fixed the issue with the newer model.  My suspicion is that somewhere on some assembly line, due to shortages caused by the pandemic, there was a swath of units that got a substitute component that wasn't to original Dell specs.

12 Posts

August 9th, 2022 08:00

Dell replaced the WD19TB units with the same units, not WD1922 units.  I believe that the only difference between the 19 and 22 is that the thunderbolt module component is different.  I think that rest of the unit is literally exactly the same.  (The WD19TB with a Thuderbolt3 interface and the WD22TB with a Thunderbolt4 interface.) 

While there may be some quality issues, Dell is being good about replacing them when the issue comes up and not giving us the runaround or too many hoops to jump through.  

I have noticed that some units were manufactured in China and some in Vietnam.  I do not have enough data to tell if there is any correlation.  

I had one more unit come up with the fan issue the other day.  I used the Dell Tech Direct website to enter the ticket and referenced this thread.  A replacement was received the next day.  So, Dell is making good on taking care of any issues.  

Note: Dell will typically ask for:

1.Write your contact details on a sheet of paper, including:
- Service Request or Case number: 
- Registered owner's name:
- Current date and time:

2. Place the sheet of paper beside the Serial Number or Service Tag sticker on the back of the docking station and take a photo of it using your smartphone.

3. Include photo in service request.

Once they receive the photo, they will typically arrange replacement.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 12th, 2022 08:00

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

12 Posts

September 28th, 2022 08:00

They did replace WD19TB with WD19TB, not the WD22TB4.  I think that the only difference in the two docks is the the TB3 vs TB4 interface module.  (I also believe that the WD19TBS docks existed because there was an audio component that was unavailable during the height of the pandemic that caused a need for the "S" model.  The "S" model does not have a 3.5mm audio jack.)

October 27th, 2022 05:00

I am having the same issue and it did not start until I applied the latest firmware.  I even replaced my docking that had this issue, and everything was working fine until I upgraded to the latest firmware. And I have seen this on different models and the one thing in common is actually they all use the same firmware.

January 24th, 2023 13:00

I am on my third consecutive replacement dock with no solution.

No Events found!