Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

December 30th, 2018 04:00

sudden shutdown (power supply?)

Hi everyone,

my laptop is a Latitude E5430 and it has started giving me some trouble.
It started rarely but now more and more frequently: the PC suddenly turns off without the OS warning me in any way.
This happens only when the power supply is connected to the PC (when the PC uses the battery it works normally).

I ran all the diagnostic tests and verified that:
* the CPU temperature is under control (it is stable around 70 degrees);
* the fans work correctly;
* RAM have passed all diagnostic tests;
* the battery has a 73% health;
* all other test passed.

What could be the problem?
How can I solve?
thank you very much for your support

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 30th, 2018 08:00

When the adapter is plugged into the E5430 does the battery icon on the taskbar show charging? It is possible that the motherboard has a problem in the charging circuit. Are you seeing any flashing lights or hearing any beeps? When the system shuts down are you seeing any error messages. Have you looked at the error log to see if an entry was made referring to the shutdown?

https://windowsinstructed.com/access-windows-error-logs-windows/

5 Posts

January 1st, 2019 02:00

Hi @JOcean and thank you for your reply

When the adapter is plugged into the E5430 does the battery icon on the taskbar show charging?

Yes, when the power adapter is plugged I see the battery icon charging...

Are you seeing any flashing lights or hearing any beeps?

... and I see the battery LED flashing as usual.

When the system shuts down are you seeing any error messages. Have you looked at the error log to see if an entry was made referring to the shutdown?

I've just caused a shutdown plugging in the power adapter and collected two error messages from error log.
I've tried to copy and paste error message content but this way my post is marked as spam :(
Unfortunately I'm not able to attach screenshot too.

My language is italian so I'm trying to translate the error description. Let me know if you need something else to better understand the error.

Thank you so much for your support.

Error 1

"Restarting the system without a regular shutdown. This error can be caused by an interruption, a crash, or an unexpected power failure of the system."

Error 2

"Previous unexpected system shutdown at 10:41:45 on 01/01/2019."

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 1st, 2019 05:00

Have you tried disconnecting the battery then plug in the adapter? Basically only 3 things at play here. This from the following web page. 

1. You have a bad battery
2. You have a bad charger
3. You have a bad charging circuit on your main board

The first two are easily diagnosed by using a known good battery and charger. You can borrow a charger from someone who has the same model you do and try that first. If it still shuts off when you put the battery in, it may be that the battery is bad. If you replace that and it still does the same thing...then option 3 is likely.

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-2380002/plug-charger-battery-pavilion-laptop-shuts-immediately.html

5 Posts

January 4th, 2019 00:00

Hi @JOcean and thank you again for your support.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery then plug in the adapter?
Yes, the problem is still there.

I've tried with also with another power adapter from Dell but the problem still persists.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare battery to test.
At this point I fear the problem may be an hardware problem on the main board.
I think I should start thinking at buying a new lapt think this could be the problem (in case it means the PC would shutdown also using the battery alone), do you think the CPU temperature of 70 degrees Celsius is too hot?

1 Message

March 20th, 2020 02:00

i have dell inspiron 3558 .when i plug in power adapter my laptop shut down automatically . i have changed the power adapter but the problem remain still unsolvable .kindly guide me with best instructions

No Events found!