Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BC

2 Posts

December 11th, 2018 12:00

thunderbolt Dock USC C breaking

We have deployed the Latitude 7480 and 7280 laptops with the thunderbolt model TB 16  dock. The USB C connector that plugs into the laptop are breaking an an extremely high rate. I am wondering is there an alternative to this cable/dock that is not as susceptible to the plastic casing cracking and causing the wires to come loose. See image below.dock.jpg

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 11th, 2018 19:00

Unfortunately image uploads are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell reps until they get "approved", so as of this writing, your image isn't visible.  But in terms of dock options, the TB16 is the only Thunderbolt 3 dock Dell makes that will work with that system.  They also make the WD15, which uses regular USB-C, but that will limit your display options compared to the TB16, and the connector is basically the same.  Then there's the D6000, but that uses DisplayLink technology rather than tapping into the system's native GPU outputs, which has a lot of drawbacks.

Unfortunately although the cable is replaceable, it uses a proprietary connector on the dock side, so you won't find an alternative.  That said, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are industry standards, so there are a variety of third-party docks available from people like Belkin, StarTech, SIIG, and Plugable, to name just a few.  They vary especially in the display configurations they support and the wattage (if any) that they provide to attached systems for charging, so pay particular attention to those.  One capability you are likely to lose, however, is the ability to wake or power on the system from the dock while the lid is closed.  You'd also likely lose the ability to run the system with the lid closed while it's docked unless you were ok setting your Lid Close Action to "Do Nothing" rather than the default Sleep, but that of course affects other scenarios too.  If those are dealbreakers, then you'd have to use the WD15 or TB16 since there isn't an industry standard for handling external power buttons.

Out of curiosity though, what's happening with those connectors in your environment that's leading to such high breakage rates?  This is the first report I've seen on this forum about widespread connector failures, and the TB16 has been out for a while.

December 12th, 2018 10:00

Thanks for the info! Honestly I am not sure what is causing the plastic jacket to crack but they tend to crack along the sides starting where the USB C plug goes into the port on the laptop. Being in IT I like to think that I am not as hard on or careless with my hardware as the average end user but even mine has cracked. I think it is just the nature of a USB C and Micro connectors I have notice Android chargers tend to do the same over time.  I personal try to find cables that have a rubber jacket around the tips that way there is no seam to come apart but I guess Dell felt that the little LED light on the tip of the cable was important enough to make a less rugged connector.

8 Posts

January 15th, 2019 02:00

Just to chime in here, but my plug has also broken. I rang Dell yesterday and they said they don't supply replacements and that the warranty is only 1 year. Totally unacceptable from Dell, but to be expected. It seems that the warranty is tied to the laptop if you purchased them together, but unfortunately our IT team saved a few euros by buying them separately. This is actually the third one I've gone through, having 2 replaced previously, along with a new 7480 motherboard to get them to play nice together. I wish I still had my thinkpad. That was built like a tank and I never had an issue with the dock. When I did have issues with an overheating CPU at the end of my warranty, they replaced my motherboard and extended the warranty by 6 months. Dell take note - that how you do customer service.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2020 08:00

Same here, my cracked in the same spot as the picture where the lightning bolt is and I ignored it for a few weeks.

Unfortunately today when i plugged it in the whole plastic insulator split to completely exposed metal plug.  I bought mine with my laptop and is still under warranty, yet still got bounded around 7 transfers and got the no we wont warranty it...

does not show up in dell parts either, so looks like my trick new Thunderbolt 3 dock will now have black tape holding the plastic connector on for insulation...

Sadly this dock was already replace once when it was new from a faulty one and even after that I have to run wireless, otherwise the network cable drops in and out...

For a business solution, i would stay away from this one...

Thanks!

-R

2020-02-03 (2).png

1 Message

February 26th, 2020 07:00

I have had two break in one week. 

1 Message

May 2nd, 2020 19:00

Mine also has a huge crack along the side, though it hasn't completely broken off yet.  The plastic seems to be too brittle for the amount of usage and bending the cable has at this location.  The dock still works great, but it would've been much better if this part (the part users touch the most) was better made. 

1 Message

August 26th, 2020 05:00

Mine also was broken after only 3 months of usage (WD19). I've used a transparent scotch tape to fix it. 

it's a conception problem. I think Dell should seriously look to this problem by using a robust material.

IMG_20200826_142741.jpg

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 13:00

The cable end from my TB16 dock to my 9575 laptop occasionally falls out, but so far the plastic around the plug has not cracked.  There is a lot of chiming every time the connector mates and falls out and/or reconnects, mostly on its own.

July 9th, 2021 05:00

I have had a Dell supplied TB16 at home for my XPS, its just under 2 years old and has had light use. The plug started to crack along the sides a few months ago. I bought a second hand TB16 for use at work and its plug had already broken.Screenshot 2021-07-09 135501.jpg

A really nice fix for this is Heat Shrinking electrical insulation which you can push over the plug, is quite thick and strong. Upon heating shrinks to form a robust method to pull the remaining plastic parts together and form a good solid insulated cover over the metal parts.

My research of this issue shows you can buy a whole new cable, but I guess its plastic cover will start to fall apart after some use.

My first Dell TB16 cost me over £200 to go with the £1,800 laptop and £1,200 for 2 x 4k monitors. Total Outlay over £3,200. For a device costing > £200, the poor quality of this plastic plug is letting you down Dell!

1 Message

November 30th, 2022 01:00

Fortunately , I was able to notice this early on, when I saw light through tiny side crack. According to my knowledge, the wire and laptop should be placed in a way.There should not be any tension due to Bend on the cable. And one should not plug in and plug out on daily basis. Otherwise there is more chance to alter the tension on the usb c point. If you see a crack seal it with tape or using micheal’s solution. I think if there is tension at usb c input near laptop point, the upper plastic is splitting. I am not sure , if this extension cable solves the tension issue on cable end.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/usb-c-right-angle-adapter-pd-up-to-100w-m-f/apd/ab647234/monitors-monitor-accessories

there are couple of these models in dell.com description says these we can connect to dell docks.

No Events found!