Linux Developer Systems

Last reply by 07-14-2013 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

13.04 Problems and Suggestions

Hi,

I know that 13.04 is still beta software and I'm not expecting it to run perfectly. However, I'd like to report that I'm having a few issues so that you guys can try to fix as many as possible before the 13.04 LTS at the end of April.

Problems:

1. The computer is unable to wake-up from a suspended state (black screen with error codes -19 and -62). It does this almost every time and I suspend the laptop. To fix, I have to do a hard reboot.

2. Speaker sound volume is very low at 100%. I can go into the settings and manually turn the sound above 100%, but even then it is too low.

EDIT: I no longer think this is a problem. I appears that the issue was with he files I was playing and maybe the software. I played a bunch of mp3s today and they seem to be loud enough. It is still necessary to go into settings to turn the volume past 100 however.

3. The touchpad drivers still need A LOT of work. We need to be able to move the cursor across the screen in 1 swipe (currently it takes about 3) and we need to be able to customize multi-touch gestures from the GUI.

4. The auto-dim feature does not work (but manual dimming does)

5. Battery life tops out at 4 hours. This is much worse than under Windows 8 and needs to be addressed.

6. The 1080p screen is AWESOME but Ubuntu seems to lack a setting for adjusting font size that will apply to all applications. So even if I change the font size in Unity, it doesn't apply to third party apps, such as Chrome. I don't know if Dell can do anything about this, but I'm reporting the issue just in case.

Thanks for providing this forum and for being responsive to user concerns.

Replies (16)
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Ok... so I can't say that everything has been addressed to my liking, but I'm very happy overall. The problem that was bothering me the most was a resume from suspend error that would lock out my laptop with a black error screen for up to a minute after opening the lid (from suspend). I posted separately about this issue. It was FIXED in the last few days and I'm simply not seeing the error any longer. This is great. All the other little issues I had before have either been addressed or are not that big a deal. So, I would recommend 13.04 except for one BIG problem. As of yesterday (after the latest updates) I've lost sound. When I open up Sound in Settings, it shows only a "dummy output." This is too bad because I'm fairly happy with everything else at the moment. Once the sound is fixed, I'd say go ahead and install it.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Never mind. Sorry for the alarm. I restarted and the sound seems to work again. I would say you're probably safe to install 13.04 at this point. If a few other issues crop up, I'm sure they'll be minor.

3 Silver

Cool, thanks everyone, I'll start the upgrade this evening.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Quick update.

I thought the sleep problem was fixed but, after a couple of days, the problem returned. Also, I though my backlight was fixed, but it turned out it was stuck at 100% and could not be dimmed at all. Battery life was also abysmal under Ubuntu. I'm not sure if other people are experiencing some of the same bugs as me. but I finally had it and went back to Windows for the time being. I'll try Ubuntu again (in a dual boot environment) after I get a larger mSATA drive. 256GB is simply not large enough for me to dual boot (I've got it just about filled as it stands). So, again, I hope I was doing something wrong and no one else is experiencing these issues. Otherwise, sorry I didn't stick it through until I got everything fixed. I just needed a working computer.

3 Silver

Update: Ubuntu 13.04 did NOT fix the problems with our Meraki mr16 access points. It's just as bad as it was before.

Not applicable

Hi

Mine is a L322X:

Here are my current 13.04 issues after fresh install

Hibernation (re-enable by me) broken, although I made the same size /swap partition (sda2 primary /swap 16GB, sda1 primary / remaining space).

I'd like to have information about the ssd LMT256M6M I can't find on the net, although parted reports align-check opt for both partitions "align".

Same difficulties with touch-pad, need more than 1 move to go from left to right ( et vice versa) of the screen and lack of settings.

Wireless sensitivity seems poor.

Keyboard backlight F6 seems OK

Screen backlight F4/F5 broken

And same security issue on boot, black screen on tty7 with 2 errors, and with mouse arrow in all tty1~7, I can login to tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) then tty7 (Ctrl+Alt+F7) appears opened although I didn't even see the Unity greeter and didn't typed my id/password in it, and when then I close the tty7 session (at this time the Unity greeter shows for the first time), the tty1 in which I logged in remains opened.

I re-enabled the zram feature like it appeared on first 12.04 upgrade, although I did it with zram-config which was not installed in 12.04 (in 12.04 upgraded, a single 4GB zram0, in 13.04+zram-config => 4*~1GB zram0 to zram3.

My bios is A08 and ssd Firmware Revision:  DM8110C

Thank you Dell for offering us an Ubuntu compatible machine.

Not applicable

@ jhodapp & cr45h, I posted a security bug for this black screen behaviour in launchpad : bugs.launchpad.net/.../1200359

Feel free to report you are affected too.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor