Linux Developer Systems

Last reply by 04-30-2013 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

Any way to download a Windows 7 recovery partition?

The first day I had my sputnik, I debated backing up the Windows 7 recovery partition, decided "Nah, I'm never gonna need Windows on this thing" and deleted the partition.

Skip ahead almost 8 months, I find myself wanting to dual boot to Windows, but no longer have the recovery partition.

Any chance Dell could put online a way to rebuild? Or have a support agent bring me a copy to put back on the drive?

Or is the license key under the bottom flap good for any build of Windows 7 Home edition, that I could just get a USB CDROM drive and install it using the key from under the laptop?

Replies (5)
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

I don't know about you, but Dell sent me a Win 8 recovery disk with my laptop. If you still have the stuff that came with your laptop, you might want to check and see if you didn't get a recovery DVD.

Dell Technologies

Hi Ian,

I checked on this side and the best thing to do is to reach out to Pro support to get a USB key or DVD with Win7 on it.

Barton George

3 Silver

Thanks @Cr45h, but the beta sputnik machines from Aug/Sept last year I don't recall ever seeing a receovery disk.

@Barton, do we beta users still get the Pro support? There was talk back then of not getting ANY kind of support until the commercial units were for sale later on.

Dell Technologies

Hi Ian,

The no support was in regards to Ubuntu, but im thinking since you bought it as a windows machine that should be fine.  Let me know if you have any trouble.

thx

Barton George

7 Plutonium

You can also use a Digital River Windows 7 .iso to make a bootable USB and Phone Activation. See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 for more details:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor