Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2013 12:00

Any way to download a Windows 7 recovery partition?

The first day I had my sputnik, I debated backing up the Windows 7 recovery partition, decided "Nah, I'm never gonna need Windows on this thing" and deleted the partition.

Skip ahead almost 8 months, I find myself wanting to dual boot to Windows, but no longer have the recovery partition.

Any chance Dell could put online a way to rebuild? Or have a support agent bring me a copy to put back on the drive?

Or is the license key under the bottom flap good for any build of Windows 7 Home edition, that I could just get a USB CDROM drive and install it using the key from under the laptop?

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 29th, 2013 13:00

Hi Ian,

I checked on this side and the best thing to do is to reach out to Pro support to get a USB key or DVD with Win7 on it.

35 Posts

April 29th, 2013 13:00

I don't know about you, but Dell sent me a Win 8 recovery disk with my laptop. If you still have the stuff that came with your laptop, you might want to check and see if you didn't get a recovery DVD.

April 29th, 2013 14:00

Thanks @Cr45h, but the beta sputnik machines from Aug/Sept last year I don't recall ever seeing a receovery disk.

@Barton, do we beta users still get the Pro support? There was talk back then of not getting ANY kind of support until the commercial units were for sale later on.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 29th, 2013 14:00

Hi Ian,

The no support was in regards to Ubuntu, but im thinking since you bought it as a windows machine that should be fine.  Let me know if you have any trouble.

thx

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 30th, 2013 02:00

You can also use a Digital River Windows 7 .iso to make a bootable USB and Phone Activation. See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 for more details:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

No Events found!