Ive alerted the team and we're looking into it.
Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for the heads up!
There was a glitch and it should be fixed now. Check out the link below, select the "Fully Customizable" system on the left. Under "operating system" choose Ubuntu Linux 14.04 SP1
Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!
I see it now and has way more options now, including Ubuntu as an OS. I should be able to spec something up Thanks for all the effort with this project!
I want to buy one of these, but I have a few questions. Some of which I posted on Barton's blog post, but this may be a more appropriate place.
1) I want to get the 4K display, but in case I can’t stand it and the DPI settings in Ubuntu seem to not be consistent currently. Does 1920×1080 show up as an option in the display resolution and work cleanly?
2) I can't find a list of available ports/connectors for this refresh. Is it the same as last year's model + thunderbolt? Or did we give up something to get thunderbolt?
3) Using Ubuntu, Can I plug in monitors to both the HDMI and mini DisplayPort, and have a 2 monitor external setup (even if the built-in display is off). I currently do this with my E6510 (via DisplayPort and VGA) but want to make sure I have some option for both my external monitors to connect
4) What about docking. Obviously this machine does not have a real docking station like my E6510 is capable of. I’ve read reports that the USB-style docking stations do not work with Linux. Has this been resolved and/or planned to be resolved soon as part of project Sputnik?
5) Is this a custom ubuntu build or a stock build with an additional apt repo for specific drivers? How to handle applying Ubuntu OS updates or re-installs(even if not officially supported)?
I found a way to make a new one happen, so my 3800 should ship on 2/12
Thanks for your support of Linux! It was a major factor in the M3800 defeating the other finalist (Thinkpad W540) as my new laptop. I'm a 15-year Linux user, from back in the days where a lot of compiling from source was involved in getting what you wanted out of Linux. The Dell Sputnik team rocks!
A quick question regarding the M3800. Will it have an ubuntu/sputnik plate on the backside of the laptop or will it still have the (tainted) windows one? I know the XPS 13 had a special one like in this image.
Im pretty sure that it will not have a baseplate neither Windows or Ubuntu :-)