dellguy101
1 Nickel

Dell XPS 13 9480 DE Cant download recovery image

Anyone else with a 9380 Developer Edition that can't download the linux recovery image from the dell website? I enter my service tag number and I get an error

"Recovery image currently unavailable. The recovery image download could not be generated due to missing information. Please contact technical support for assistance."

I contacted support and they were useless.. First she thought my machine was a windows machine until I had her pull up my system details with the service tag number and she could see it shipped with Ubuntu. She had me run diagnostics on my computer even though it seems like the issue is with their website, not my hw on my system..

EDIT:  Just asked my buddy to check his (he also has the 9380 Developer Edition) and he also got the same error.  So it seems Dell has NOT posted the Ubuntu 18.04 Recovery Image for any systems that ship with 18.04.  Support was clueless.. 

Error:

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 10.02.54 PM.png

Showing my system shipped with Ubuntu:

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 10.05.13 PM.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dellguy101
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS 13 9480 DE Cant download recovery image

So I had a few online buddies who also have the 9380 Developer Edition check, and they are getting the same message as I am.  SO it appears that Dell has not made the recovery iso available yet for the 9380.

Support was clueless insisting they do not supply the ubuntu recovery iso even after I showed them they have for the past 3 models at least that I have used and downloaded the iso for. 

0 Kudos
dellguy101
1 Nickel

Just an update. I reached out to one of the Dell guys from this forum and it does appear that the image is not available yet. He has reported it internally and hopefully soon the image will be posted
0 Kudos
OnesAndZeroes
1 Copper

SOLVED! (temporarily?)

Just an update because I was encountering this myself and stumbled on the forum posts:

It seems the URL listed for the download attempts to access a restricted directory. Remove it from the URL path and you'll be able to download the image. Also, you'll notice the image name includes the timestamp 20190321 (March 21, 2019) and the support page lists the latest image as April 4, 2019. I wasn't able to access that image by changing the timestamp in the name, I get a 404 (not found) error.

In summary, change the URL to the image from this:

https://downloads.dell.com/restricted/FOLDER05544477M/1/Dell_XPS_9380_20190321_210_A02.iso

To this:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05544477M/1/Dell_XPS_9380_20190321_210_A02.iso

That should do the trick. Some web developer somewhere seems to have goofed or the image really isn't supposed to be available to download yet. Either way, anything under that restricted path will return access denied errors.

0 Kudos