Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2013 08:00

Dell XPS 13 Fan and Heat problem

Brand-new I just received d it from Dell yesterday and I
am experiencing both heat and fan issues. The fan is driving me nuts. It is a 

<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character  removed as per TOU>

and absolutely not worth the price of $1800 I paid for it. I hope
someone from Dell read this and respond to it. I am so <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> .

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 5th, 2013 08:00

Mustaf,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I apologize for your experience.   Can you describe the heat/fan issues and I will fwd this to the team to address.

thx

2 Posts

April 5th, 2013 09:00

As I mentioned on my first post, I received the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition Laptop yesterday, April 4th, 2013 loaded with ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The only new software I installed so far is Ultimate++ application development framework. Last night I tried to do some C++ development with the laptop and after about 45 minutes, I could feel the middle area of the front side of the keyboard was getting very warm (and I mean very warm). I thought this should not happen since I am not doing any heavy data crunching, just simple C++ coding. Then the stupid fan turned on and was unusually loud to the point that my wife was setting on the other side of the table commented “Wow, the fan is really loud”. Anyway, I left the Laptop without touching it for over five minutes and the fan kept on going strong and wouldn’t shut off, it is so distracting. The only way I could get the stupid fan to shut up is by restarting the system. I am so disappointed!

By the way, scanning the web, I noticed that many people experienced these two particular issues with Laptop. Well, I should have checked the web for any issues with this Laptop before ordering one.

Mustaf      

5 Posts

April 5th, 2013 11:00

You can install the "i8kutils" package and with""i8kfan -1 0" you can force the fan to stop.

August 12th, 2013 15:00

Hi George,

I bought a Dell XPS 13 LX321 windows edition. I installed ubuntu 12.10 but I have the same fan and heat issue as reported. Is there any solution since you last post? I am currently installing ubuntu 13.04 to see whether it will fix my problems. Thanks in advance for your help!

40 Posts

August 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi Mamadou_Kante, have you fixed the fan issue by upgrading Ubuntu?

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 15:00

I've been having fan issues on all my laptops with ubuntu - I was hoping that it got better with this one but not really... On battery the fan goes on quite a bit with just browsing and some coding... plugged in it's on about all the time. I don't care about it plugged in, but on battery it eats the battery - I'd love to see better support for this.

1 Message

November 5th, 2013 12:00

I've had my XPS13 for over a year and the fan and overheating has been an issue since the first week.  I'm just wondering when this is going to become more than a nuisance?  Sometimes the keyboard is so hot that I cannot continue to type - this has to be damaging the machine.  Is there any known resolution?  The only thing I'm seeing here addressing how to turn the fan off, but I need the laptop to be cooled down.  I'm not doing any heavy work at all - just standard windows, email, web surfing.

12 Posts

November 5th, 2013 13:00

It got better for me, not sure what did it, but updating the kernel and maybe most important - turning off bluetooth seemed to have made it better.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

Any news? I got some heat complication...

Every time I do something different from surfing web, using libre office or coding with gedit, I get loud fan and the bottom part of the display become warm...

It's so strange: every time I open Eclipse or running Tomcat, everyone in my office look at me frightened by the noise.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2014 06:00

I have the fan noise problem as well on my xps13 Haswell (apart of the inexplicable high-ditching sound in the background).

The cpu fan is getting pretty loud if I simply play videos on youtube in 720p resolution.

6 Posts

March 30th, 2014 16:00

I have a two year old XPS 1340 that was constantly overheating and shutting down. 

In the hopes someone else may benefit by my experience: After taking off the back of the laptop and then removing the fan assembly itself, I found the vents were totally clogged with dust. Blew them out with canned air...problem solved! FYI it is totally impossible to clean these vents without removing the fan assembly (which is fairly simple and the instructions for which can be found on youtube)!

2 Posts

April 10th, 2014 18:00

hi, 

Six days ago Dell released a new BIOS update that fixes the fan acoustics:

BIOS Update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-13-l321x?driverId=C0VG5&fileid=2902722114

Post that says this update fixes the problem:

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/03/21/xps-13-fan-noise-fix/

How will Ubuntu Users apply the fix ? will they have to install windows , apply the fix, then re-install ubuntu?

thanks

6 Posts

April 10th, 2014 19:00

Pamanes7, on 4.10.14 you wrote "six days ago dell released a new BIOS update...." Why then, when I check the update does it show a release date in 2012. Seems very suspicious:

DELL,SW,BIOS,XPS NB,L321X,A03,A03
BIOS, Dell XPS L321X System BIOS (BIOS), BIOS, English, Spyder,A03
Release Date: 4/4/2012
Importance: Recommended

April 11th, 2014 21:00

Hi there

I fixed this problem with jupiter for any version prior to saucy salander. Starting saucy salamander, there is a new fan management utility called tlp

http://askubuntu.com/questions/360549/jupiter-in-ubuntu-13-10-laptop-overheating

With that I have a temperature around 50°C and sometimes higher when I am using flash on a web browser

December 5th, 2015 00:00

Dear George...

I've just bought the XPS 13 core i3, when I start working with it, why it's getting hot on the keyboard?

This is unusual for me. Because I have 2 Dell Laptop with different serries...not like this.

I fell uncomfortable with this. And I spent a lot of money for this.

This makes me dissappointed.

What should I do?

Tks.

No Events found!