admiral0
1 Copper

Re: Intel Haswell availability?

Join the wait train oonmtoo ... Sputnik with haswell would be the awesomest ultrabook of them all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AZ13
1 Copper

I am a Debian user and just joined to comment on this. First things first: thank you Dell and George Barton for the project Sputnik. Two days ago, I had the sales person on the phone and was going to order the XPS 13. While talking on the phone, I noticed that the XPS 12 had already received the Haswell update, so I halted the order. I am desperately in need of a laptop, but have decided to wait for the Haswell update. With the new screen the XPS 13 is already a good UB. But the below config would make it a dream UB for me:

- a 4th generation Core i5--7 CPU

- At least 8 GB of RAM

- Integrated Intel graphics

- The option of a 512 GB SSD

- A screen usable in daylight, i.e. no gloss (I work with texts and travel a lot which means I use the laptop in daylight)

- And while we are at it: please make it light (goes with the travelling).

Many thanks again Smiley Happy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
SeanBlader
1 Nickel

Doesn't look like they're even doing a windows 13 inch ultrabook with haswell. Still waiting on that even, which I might try for a bit or even go to the trouble of running it dual boot for a while. Looks like the only one so far is the 12 inch convertable, meh. I don't want to lose any further screen size, and I'd rather up it just a bit to 14 inches even.

Still waiting Dell! Stop worrying about what the CEO is doing and deliver some mac kicking hardware.

0 Kudos
sunnyp101
1 Copper

So I guess one mystery is solved.

Looks like we may have a beefier cousin of XPS13 DE, maybe a XPS15 Developer Edition. I base this on the just previewed Precision M3800

www.dell.com/.../precision-m3800-workstation

This looks strikingly similar to XPS13 in design.

0 Kudos
mhanby
1 Nickel

Wow, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely pissed that I just purchased a 3rd generation xps13 after talking with our Dell reps about whether or not any new hardware is coming.

That precision M3800 looks nice.

0 Kudos

I'd buy that.  It looks pretty sick!  Look at that resolution!  I wonder if the Unity Desktop could handle that sort of ppi.

0 Kudos
Max.Moarle
1 Nickel

Touch Screen? Absolulet no go

0 Kudos
boylenssen
1 Nickel

I'm still thinking...am I going to order the XPS 13 this week, or shall I wait a month or 2 and hope that there will be a Haswell version of it...

0 Kudos
homodachi
1 Copper

Looks like we may have a beefier cousin of XPS13 DE, maybe a XPS15 Developer Edition. I base this on the just previewed Precision M3800

www.dell.com/.../precision-m3800-workstation

This looks strikingly similar to XPS13 in design.

Beefier indeed: 4.5lbs vs the XPS 13's 2.99lbs. No thanks.

I'm still thinking...am I going to order the XPS 13 this week, or shall I wait a month or 2 and hope that there will be a Haswell version of it...

My main fear is that they decide the developer edition isn't worth it and the current edition will be the last one. But, but, I want Haswell! D:

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Max.Moarle
1 Nickel

RE: Intel Haswell availability?

Assumably the new Macbooks with Haswell will come soon now...

While the competition ships - again - mediocre Ultrabooks, including mediocre displays (but touch enabled, of course. This makes no sense at all - apparently the only porpose is to provide a selling point for Win 8), it seems Apple is again the only company doing it all right.

it is kind of sad - it seems noone is able or willing to ship a premium Haswell Ultrabook. And no, Win 8 is just no option.

Come on, Dell... Just do it, can't be that difficult... Pleaaaase

0 Kudos