Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2013 17:00

Intel Haswell availability?

This might a bit a too early to ask, but do you already have any plans regarding Intel Haswell? In particular, do you plan to release an updated version of XPS 13 with Haswell under the hood or will come with a completely new laptop? I'm seriously considering an upgrade to Sputnik, but the improvements in Haswell, in particular better power management and faster graphics, are big enough that I might wait a few months.

September 25th, 2013 12:00

Wohoooo!!! This calls for a celebration.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2013 13:00

I've been lurking here for ages and have to say...that's great news!! A premium XPS 13 Haswell DE would tick all my boxes. Please make loads as I fully expect you'll very quickly be in short supply ;-)

@Barton, thanks very much for keeping us informed - much appreciated.

33 Posts

September 25th, 2013 17:00

Well, sounds like good news, unofficially of course. (c;

September 25th, 2013 18:00

Well, you know what then?  I am not going to go with another brand, hopefully I do not have to wait too long.  Thanks for the reply.

21 Posts

September 26th, 2013 01:00

Yeah!

I'm hoping for: 16gb ram, 512 gb SSD, Haswell, new trackpad, ubuntu 13.10 support (and some kind of huge graphics card cramped into the tiny box).

And most important dedicated Ubuntu/Penguin Home button!

Btw. price does not matter, good ubuntu support does...

33 Posts

September 26th, 2013 03:00

indeed ...  Manjaro!

btw, just delighted how Linux seems to matter for quite a lot of people here...

8 Posts

September 26th, 2013 03:00

Very good news, indeed! Although I hope for a 14" screen with Haswell, the prospect of XPS 13 with Haswell suggests the wait will be worth it.

And yes, the Penguin button: Please no Ubuntu button as there are other Linux users who will use the XPS 13 :)

September 26th, 2013 09:00

GOOD DRIVER SUPPORT MATTERS.  For me price matters, make sure you do not charge more the Macbook air with similar parameters.  All of the sputnik software on github DOES NOT matter, does not make a difference in my buy decision.  Long battery life matters, specially for deployment at the site.  Keep as many USB drives as possible, I use the Laptop for Embedded System development, for which I need USB's and Web development.  Its almost a perfect development computer.  Would like it to be little bigger, like 15" size with numerical keyboard on the side.

12 Posts

September 26th, 2013 14:00

This is good to hear but I really hope to get a 16gb version which would make virtualization much smoother. I don't even care about haswell at this point.

I am from Belgium and apparently the only versions I can get with 16gb is the latitude 6430u with ubuntu preinstalled or the e6430 (with windows which I have to kick off).. which would set me back 1800 euros vat excl. (vs about 999 vat excl. for the xps 13) - almost double the price just to have this...

I'd be happy to buy even an xps 14/15 with 16gb of ram and windows which I would replace with linux, but unfortunately that's not possible here... I don't even get why there are version differences between us/europe.

1 Message

September 30th, 2013 00:00

Although a new XPS DE may be in the making, I am now strongly considering the new Inspiron 14 7000. Since I am no looking for a powerhouse computer, the top model of the 7000 series could fit my needs (a Linux code-cracking machine, mostly). I will wait for reviews though, I am not very sure about the screen and trackpad quality.

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

Check Engadget. Dell announced xps With Haswell This morning.

FINALLY!

12 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 13:00

Curious in what processor they've used in it and if the price will be a lot higher than the current edition. Looks like no 16gb version, so may pick up a current version while they are still there :)

17 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 15:00

November? That's later than what I was expecting based on Barton's response. Will the Sputnik version at least start selling at the same time as the regular version or will there be even further delay?

33 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 06:00

Intel HD4400... November ... 8 G max ... Seriously?

One may complain about Apples pricing, closed platforms or habits. However, its the only company capable of doing things just right. Seems the competition isn' t even able to copy properly.

That said, I' m finally out. Thanks (for all the fish :-) ) and good luck.

M.

350 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 09:00

"Intel HD4400 ... Seriously?

One may complain about Apples pricing, closed platforms or habits. However, its the only company capable of doing things just right. Seems the competition isn' t even able to copy properly."

Even though the 13" 2013 MBA still only has a 900p display while the XPS 13 has a 1080p display? Personally, I'd take the higher resolution over a more powerful integrated GPU given the TDP of systems of this size. Although this comparison lacks some important information about the hardware under the tests, I don't find the difference in the results between the HD5000 and HD4400 very compelling for 13" systems: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7072/intel-hd-5000-vs-hd-4000-vs-hd-4400

No Events found!