cloojure
1 Nickel

RE: Kernel update help.

Here is a photo of the system running right now. Notice the CPU meter on the built-in display averages around 15% of total, but will spike when I run software or do a lot of activity on the display.

When using only one monitor plugged into the built-in Mini DisplayPort output (I use a miniDP-HDMI adaptor), the CPU does not increase with display activity.  When a 2nd monitor is added, using the USB connection to the Dell D3100 monitor usb adaptor/dock, the CPU is forced to do work previously performed by the video card. While this consumes 10-25% of the total cpu available (counting all 4 cores as 100%), you will not notice it affecting your daily activity unless you stare at the cpu graph.

The D3100 is able to support more than one monitor, but I have not explored this very deeply (I have briefly tried plugging 2 or 3 monitors into the D3100, with the miniDP port empty).  For my full 3-monitor setup at home I have a mid-level ZaReason computer with a regular video card (NVIDIA 750) that works well. It is also on Ubuntu 15.10, although that upgrade was not as smooth as the XPS 13 (the switch to systemd required a change in video card driver install procedure).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cloojure
1 Nickel

Image link attached

0 Kudos
cloojure
1 Nickel

0 Kudos
doddsy
1 Copper

Hi I am currently trying to get my 9350 xps 13 tp work on a D3100 dock.  I am following these istruction from the forums, I have updated to 16.04 updated to the latest bios, downloaded the displaylink drivers, and this is what I get

XPS-13-9350:~/Downloads/DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Ubuntu 1.1.68$ sudo ./displaylink-driver-1.1.62.run
[sudo] password for john:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing DisplayLink Linux Driver 1.1.62  100%  
DisplayLink Linux Software 1.1.62 install script called: install
Distribution discovered: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Installing
Configuring EVDI DKMS module
Registering EVDI kernel module with DKMS
Building EVDI kernel module with DKMS
ERROR (code 3): Failed to build evdi/1.1.62. Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/1.1.62/build/make.log for details..

Any advice how to sort this please,

John

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wimr
1 Copper

Hi

I think the contents of make.log should give the clue as to what the problem is. 

DisplayLink have released a new 1.2 Ubuntu driver today and it would be worth trying this.

Wim