8 Krypton

RE: My first week with the dell xps 13 Developer Edition 2015 (DE)

It appears that DisplayLink has a new driver available for the Dell D3100 docking station:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

0 Kudos
credondo
1 Copper

I installed the driver and everything I tested seems to work, usb, audio, and  hdmi display, i did not test the network adapter.

The problem now, is the amount of resources needed to compress the video signal, the displaylink process alone is using 50% of the processor for a single fullhd display , I don't know if this is a bug or the expected behaviour. When using the hdmi dock output the fan is always on during non demanding activities like normal internet surfing, and  watching a hd video through the dock display is frustrating because of the poor refresh rate.

I don't know if the windows driver behaves this way but I unistalled the dock and I'm not using it. I'm not going to waste half of the laptop resources continually only to output the video signal.

0 Kudos

I installed the driver and everything I tested seems to work, usb, audio, and  hdmi display, i did not test the network adapter.

The problem now, is the amount of resources needed to compress the video signal, the displaylink process alone is using 50% of the processor for a single fullhd display , I don't know if this is a bug or the expected behaviour. When using the hdmi dock output the fan is always on during non demanding activities like normal internet surfing, and  watching a hd video through the dock display is frustrating because of the poor refresh rate.

I don't know if the windows driver behaves this way but I unistalled the dock and I'm not using it. I'm not going to waste half of the laptop resources continually only to output the video signal.

If you haven't yet, I recommend reporting this on DisplayLink's forum.

--
Project Sputnik development lead
Software Principal Engineer
Linux OS Architecture
Dell | Client Product Group

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

I have upgraded my 2014 XPS 13 to Ubuntu 15.10 and now the D3100 usb monitor dock is working flawlessly.  Please see this thread for more details:

en.community.dell.com/.../20840994

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Everything is still going great, with only one tiny snag to a smooth experience with Ubuntu 15.10 on the XPS 13.  After a suspend/resume cycle, the wifi will fail to reconnect 4/5 times.  To fix it, I've defined a small alias:

alias wifitoggle="nmcli r wifi off ; sleep 1 ; nmcli r wifi on"     # toggle wifi off/on to re-init after sleep

So now, when I wake up the computer and the wifi doesn't reconnect, I can just type "wifitoggle" at the command prompt and in 4-5 seconds everything is reconnected (this is much faster than using the mouse to disconnect/reconnect).

Alan

0 Kudos