Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2016 10:00

New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Hi everybody,

After I was so happy to have found a Linux supported laptop with very good specifications, I had to return the brand new 9350 QHD+ because of the coil whine noise. It was a real pity because I was in love with the rest, but it was simply too loud.

Now I am thinking again what to buy.

Is the design of the new XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) solving the coil whine problem?

If yes, I would prefer to wait and support Dell buying the DE.

I know this is not a hardware forum, but I hope that someone from Dell can give me an asnwer here. Thank you very much in advance!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 14th, 2017 10:00

@Colecc and Flolivaud

The motherboard revision numbers was addressed here: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/p/19992655/20999354#20999354

@Community,

I would now like to re-share some history and then provide an update as to where we’re at.

Motherboard History:

-Systems manufactured before Jan 1 2017 will show A00 ( we all know this )

-Systems manufactured between Jan 1 2017 and mid February 2017 will show A02 motherboards ( I don't  have the exact date in February )

-Systems shipped after mid February 2017 will have new part numbers that will show as A00

-This is due to an internal numbering change and not a physical motherboard change. When the part number changed, the A-revision number was set back to zero ( A00 )

-These new part numbers implemented in mid February 2017 and onward are the same motherboards as  the A02 motherboards shipped between Jan 1 2017 and Mid February 2017and therefore contain the reduced noise fix. They just have different numbers on them

-These new part numbers are available at the factory and are also available in service stock. They're outlined in SLN305206 ( give this document ID to Dell tech support if you call )

BIOS Update History:

-After the implementation of above motherboard changes, some noise still remained

-Dell worked to improve even further and on July 21st 2017 Dell released 1.3.7 BIOS which had changes in order to lower noise. The change was described in the release notes as: "Optimize CPU loading to improve EE noise"

-The "Optimize CPU loading" change that was introduced in BIOS 1.3.7 caused other issues including latency between system and USB devices connected through the TB16 dock

-On August 4 2017 BIOS 1.3.7 was removed and replaced with 2.1.0

-The "Optimize CPU loading" fix was carried over to 2.1.0

-On October 25th 2017 Dell released 2.3.1 in which the "Optimize CPU loading" fix was removed, resolving the USB issues

Where we’re at today regarding BIOS update:

-Dell has further improved the “Optimize CPU loading” solution and On December 12th 2017 XPS 13 9360 2.4.2 BIOS was released.

Notes:

-New 9360 systems manufactured after Jan 19th 2018 will have 2.4.2 installed at factory

-BIOS 2.4.2 is meant to lower noise, not eliminate it

-It’s highly likely that any remaining ‘coil noise’ heard after implementation of 2.4.2 will be deemed as working within specification

Please install 2.4.2 and feel free to share your feedback here. I’ve been assured by Dell engineering that the new changes have been thoroughly tested in order to prevent the USB issue from returning.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 14th, 2017 14:00

@Kennedybaird,

I'm not currently aware of any other cases where the a drive is making noise like that. However, we should be able to work something out. Send me a friend request with your service tag and I'll take a look.

5 Posts

September 24th, 2016 01:00

Well it seems the problem is still there with the new model, too:

https://redd.it/546886

and:

https://redd.it/544fr3

Thank you for supporting Linux, but it is a real pity, that the "MacBook killer" (also in the same price league) is having such a hardware design flaws.

5 Posts

September 26th, 2016 03:00

The answer (no) is in reddit, but also DELL has given a statement in the following thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992657

5 Posts

October 6th, 2016 15:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 QHD+ i5-7200U Notebook Review

We already noticed a quiet coil whining from our test model during the initial tests and benchmarks. This problem was also reported from many users of the previous generation and was one of the biggest disadvantages of the XPS 13.

Our initial results and impressions are sobering: The system fan is often running, even without noteworthy CPU load. Our test model also has problems with coil whining, which is already notorious for XPS 13 models.

20 Posts

October 10th, 2016 00:00

You're asking a bit much from Dell... this is a very recent and underreported issue.

Trololo.

From what I read, the coil whine is still there. While most cases are pure non-issue\nitpicking, some units have a loud coil whine. I'm unaware of Dells policy regarding returns as this is very subjective?????

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

October 11th, 2016 14:00

Dear Community,

If there's coil noise from the 9360, we can investigate that. First, a little bit of history below.

There were 2 situations on previous models regarding coil noise:

Situation 1:

-the coil noise could only be heard in a very quiet environment but could not be heard in say an office environment ( during meetings, climate control running, while working at an office desk ).

Situation 2:

-coil noise could be heard in busy office environments ( during meetings, climate control running, working at office desk )

Dell Engineering deemed the behavior from Situation 1 to be: working as designed

For systems in situation 2: Dell came out with a motherboard revision for certain models previous to the XPS 9360.

Now for the XPS 9360:

For now, I need one volunteer. If you have a XPS 9360 that has noise levels as described in situation number 2 above, please add me as a friend and include your service tag, your name, email, phone and service address. We will need to bring one unit into Dell engineering for review.

I may also come back and ask for an engineering capture for one XPS 9360 that fits into situation 1, described above. This will be decided at a later time and I’ll get back with more on that.

Please note that I only need one volunteer for now. If I obtain the one volunteer, other friend requests will not be replied to. I will reply to all on this thread and let you all know once I have my one volunteer.

20 Posts

October 13th, 2016 13:00

I received my XPS 9360 today and there is definitely coil whine. The origin of the noise is close to the power input.

- While it is not very loud, I noticed it while watching TV. It is thus, noticeable in a busy environment.

- The coil whine is louder when the computer is under load:

ex.: start-up, stress-test, stress-test + backlight

I'll upload a video on Youtube and provide you the link on Friday so you can see by yourself Justin C.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

October 13th, 2016 14:00

That is helpful Gardiner.D, thank you.

Will you send me a friend request with your service tag and email address? I'd like to start a case with you on this.

20 Posts

October 14th, 2016 01:00

I have sent you a friend request with my service tag, my email, my pc model & configuration, a description of the problem, and how I can reliably replicate the coil whine.

Coil whine is a known issue; it has been reported by a great number of customers. I wouldn't be picky, if it was a low-end computer. It is, however not the case. Top of the line, quality, experience; are reasons why I paid a hefty premium to purchase an XPS.

While such issues are inacceptable in a high-end machines, I am not too keen on the idea of sending a way a brand new laptop for several weeks. Regardless of the time bucket, I would be rendered laptop-less for a while. That said, I am sure we can find a solutions that works for both parties.

Oh, and thank you for looking into this Justin! A lot of people will appreciate your efforts :).

*Will post the YouTube link later today, when I have a little more time.

49 Posts

October 14th, 2016 02:00

I fully agree with gardiner.d,  this should be fixed on a high-end premium device. I'm sure Dell are doing all they can to fix this problem, I have faith in them :)

please do keep us posted :)

15 Posts

October 14th, 2016 10:00

Received my 9360 today and the whine is present. It's not the ticking that's distracting, it's the high pitched noise that is always there. Putting a finger on the trackpad makes it stop but what use is that.

Also came with a few cosmetic scratches and scuffs, and the Intel sticker isn't even straight.

I'm annoyed.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

October 17th, 2016 11:00

@AlexRainbows,

Please send me a friend request with your information. I'd like to start a case with you.

@Gardiner.d,

Thank you for all your feedback and for working with me on this.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

October 21st, 2016 09:00

Greetings SpykeYs,

Thank you for your post. Please do go ahead and send me a friend request with your information. We'll start a case.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2016 09:00

Good day Justin,

I received my XPS 13 9360 today and same thing. I have a very loud coil whine that I can hear from 10-15 ft away.

Honestly, nobody should be ordering this laptop... COIL WHINE is still VERY present... Nothing has been fixed over the years..

DO NOT BUY AN XPS13...

No Events found!