Highlighted
ciprian.dell
1 Copper

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

I am the new but not proudly owner of a Dell XPS 13 9360. Unfortunately, I have the same issue with the "coil whine" noise. This machine is the second one I get after returning the first one. The first one was returned for a display issue and also for this horrible noise. The second one has the same noise :(. This is my first Dell machine and I am not happy at all. It's simply unacceptable for a top product like this to have such an issue. I love this product, it's a great one, but, it also has this huge issue. After browsing the internet to better understand this issue, I don't see any software solution. This looks like a hardware problem and I doubt that Dell will find a way to solve this issue for the machines that were already sold. Maybe Dell will surprise me with a software solution in the next 20 days, otherwise, I will return this one as well. Taking into consideration that this is not a new issue for Dell (being also present on the last generations of XPS), I doubt that they are even trying to solve it...

Highlighted
Stochos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

As a long time Dell fan, many thanks Justin C listening and actioning the issue.

I'm awaiting its resolution before placing my order.

Highlighted
casalebrunet
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same issue here with my new XPS 13, 9360...

ciprian.dell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

by the way, for me, the most annoying noise is when my laptop is charging and I open a few tabs (5+) in Edge browser with video content/live streaming. I feel like my XPS is screaming at me.

Highlighted
nissehamp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with coil-whine, mine is only really noticeable when the power adapter is plugged in though, but then it's loud enough to hear when working normally on the pc 😞 I have the Alienware 13r2.

Highlighted
surfws
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Would love to buy a XPS 13 9360 but coil whine is a deal breaker for me unfortunately 😞

Hope this get solved. 

Any feedback on the XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 regarding coil whine or similar issues?

Thanks 😉

Highlighted
Vladimir B
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello, my Dell XPS 13 9365 with latest BIOS 1.3.1 and all available system updates has this issue too.

It is UNACCEPTABLE for $2100 laptop with SSD and passive cooling.

Will there be a new revision of the hardware components for replacement? Not software patch with reducing performance.

(9365-6232, i7-7Y75/3200x1800/16GB/512GB)

Highlighted
elahav
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have already had the motherboard replaced, but the coil whine persists. Kudos to Dell for handling the ticket I opened quickly and sending a technician to my house the next day. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

I join others in saying that I paid a premium price for what I thought was a premium laptop. The user experience, which amounts to a mosquito buzzing in your ear almost constantly, is unacceptable. I regret not sending the laptop back months ago.

Highlighted
Taube
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem here, but not with a dell xps 13, but with a hp spectre x360 15 inch and i7-8550u. It must be related to the cpu, cause changing the mainboard wasn't a fix. And you can influence the sound by changing cpu states. Now the support is telling me every electric noise under 70db is acceptable for them. Its a shame that customers get treated like this. The time to send the notebook back passed, due to the support telling me that they can fix this.

Highlighted
Snowball99
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I got the 9365 with the highest setup and I have the same buzzing coil whine issue when I scroll the web pages. I discover that when I use SupportAssist program during "hardware scan", the coil whine stops!. Can Dell look into this and see if they can implement a solution from this unexpected discovery?

Anyone suggest anything that I can do?

Thanks,

Jack