Highlighted
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

@ciprian,

I apologize for your experience particularly with your first Dell.  As Justin mentions above, engineering is actively working on a it and there is a fix in sight.

thanks for your support and patience

Barton George

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Same here, my XPS 13 9360 had coil whine. Returned to Dell for full refund. Will consider purchasing this laptop again if the problem fixed in the near future.

Highlighted
AlexRainbows
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also await the fix

Highlighted
mattvkm
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Also having really bad coil whine on my 3 week old 9360 xps 13. Unnacceptable levels. Not sure if I can return at this point but I am trying to find an awnser because I can't use this "top teir" laptop with this issue. Someone sitting next to me on a plane will think I am smuggling a mouse in my carry on bag. It's really loud. My GTX970 in my PC has coil whine, slightly lower pitched, loud but not as annoying as this laptop...

Highlighted
Semmy777
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I wanted to buy 9360.

Xps is the best laptop on the market and it's very expensive in my country.

But dealing with this serious issue on new laptop for over $2k -  it's unacceptable!

Will wait for more info. I hope problem will be fixed soon.

Highlighted
emm.vog
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same here, but my one month xps is screaming also when it is not in AC. I have turned on silent power mode but nothing.. Also I have noticed that turning on and off the touchscreen reduces or increases the battery life of the machine. In any case I feel that the laptop has to be returned and get a replacement. Too bad because in general I really like it.

Having switched from MacBook family, I am still confident that Dell will release an update to fix the coil whine, otherwise I will return it back and go back to an mbp.

Highlighted
emm.vog
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have uploaded 3 videos with the coil whine noise. <deleted Forum violation>

www.youtube.com/watch

Highlighted
Syed_Listening
1 Copper

Jump to solution

XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) is an incremental update from Dell with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C charging and NVMe drive support. 

LFDC89
1 Copper

Jump to solution

According to this issue, I'm not going to buy this ultrabook. I don't trust in future solution and I think that for a top level laptop a noise like this is unacceptable.

I am very disappointed because I was totally fascinated by this model

Highlighted
DELL-Barton Ge
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

LFDC89,

I understand your frustration and hesitation.   To say this only affects a subset of the systems is not helpful but we are working on a solution and things are looking promising.

I realize it may be too late for your time frame but I do appreciate your interest and hopefully we can deliver a system that you will feel comfortable with.

Thanks

Barton George