Highlighted
Ervytis
1 Copper

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

Any ideas on the time frame for this? I am interested in buying this particular model, however coil whine is a big deal breaker for me. I might buy this in few months but it seems that this problem has been around for a long time with no resolution, even new models released had the same issue as previous ones.

If I am to buy this laptop and then fix comes out in 2-3 months or so, will I be able to get it applied even if it's hardware based fix?

Highlighted
emamul.ahmed
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you guess how much time will take to get the solution? Will XPS 13 9350 get the fix?

There's also speaker crackle problem while streaming multiple video at the same time or rendering video. Hope it will also get fixed.

Highlighted
dietchinator
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi. I'm not sure what happened to my earlier post - maybe moderators didn't approve it?

Anyways, can anyone tell me if orders are on hold while this is fixed? I have ordered an i7 XPS13 from a retailer on New Years Eve and it's still to arrive, presumably from Dell NZ. If orders are on hold while it gets fixed, all good. But if I might receive an old stock one with the whine, I think I should cancel my order and get a refund.

Can anyone from Dell give us a status update on the fix and whether shipments are currently on hold please?

Jump to solution

Hi,

shipping usually takes 3-4 weeks for the laptop to arrive,....so I wouldn't worry about that. I believe your laptop will be with you shortly 😉

Highlighted
curtvaughan2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My new Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition will be arriving tomorrow, a 9360 with Ubuntu 16.04.  Is the whining issue also on the DE machines? I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Highlighted
casalebrunet
1 Copper

Jump to solution

remember to do not update the bios.

Otherwise Ubuntu will no longer boot.

Cheers

Highlighted
emamul.ahmed
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm please let us know here after you confirm.

Highlighted
curtvaughan2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

By updating the BIOS, are you referring to firmware updates? I've been reading about firmware updates being a mixed bag - fix some things, break others. Anyway, my box has been delayed a day for delivery so am reading up while I can.

Highlighted
curtvaughan2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Will do. Delivery has been delayed another day, so will inform as soon as I have time to experiment.. This box will have a 512 GB SSD, so my plan is to install a couple of Linux distros on it.  Ubuntu isn't my favorite, but I will play with it upon delivery just to see what kinks might be awaiting me with the hardware if I install new systems. Eventually I'll likely install Mint and Manjaro, perhaps eventually delving into Arch. But first things first. I'm just glad Dell is making an effort to appease Linux folks. Cheers.

Highlighted
emm.vog
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I installed today some new drivers that I found on Dell support page for 9360. They were updated on January. They were chipset drivers, video driver, and audio driver

9360_Video_Driver_45YYV_WN32_21.20.16.4526_A01

Audio_Driver_39YW9_WN32_6.0.1.7989_A02

check them and tell me ... after a restart I do not hear the coil whine noise... can anyone verify ?

Update ,,, still can hear the coil whine noise, but it is less loud now 🙂 that is an improvement at least ...