Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2016 10:00

New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Hi everybody,

After I was so happy to have found a Linux supported laptop with very good specifications, I had to return the brand new 9350 QHD+ because of the coil whine noise. It was a real pity because I was in love with the rest, but it was simply too loud.

Now I am thinking again what to buy.

Is the design of the new XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) solving the coil whine problem?

If yes, I would prefer to wait and support Dell buying the DE.

I know this is not a hardware forum, but I hope that someone from Dell can give me an asnwer here. Thank you very much in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

January 15th, 2017 10:00

LFDC89,

I understand your frustration and hesitation.   To say this only affects a subset of the systems is not helpful but we are working on a solution and things are looking promising.

I realize it may be too late for your time frame but I do appreciate your interest and hopefully we can deliver a system that you will feel comfortable with.

Thanks

23 Posts

January 15th, 2017 11:00

Any ideas on the time frame for this? I am interested in buying this particular model, however coil whine is a big deal breaker for me. I might buy this in few months but it seems that this problem has been around for a long time with no resolution, even new models released had the same issue as previous ones.

If I am to buy this laptop and then fix comes out in 2-3 months or so, will I be able to get it applied even if it's hardware based fix?

January 15th, 2017 15:00

Hi,

Can you guess how much time will take to get the solution? Will XPS 13 9350 get the fix?

There's also speaker crackle problem while streaming multiple video at the same time or rendering video. Hope it will also get fixed.

49 Posts

January 16th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

shipping usually takes 3-4 weeks for the laptop to arrive,....so I wouldn't worry about that. I believe your laptop will be with you shortly ;)

January 16th, 2017 10:00

Hi. I'm not sure what happened to my earlier post - maybe moderators didn't approve it?

Anyways, can anyone tell me if orders are on hold while this is fixed? I have ordered an i7 XPS13 from a retailer on New Years Eve and it's still to arrive, presumably from Dell NZ. If orders are on hold while it gets fixed, all good. But if I might receive an old stock one with the whine, I think I should cancel my order and get a refund.

Can anyone from Dell give us a status update on the fix and whether shipments are currently on hold please?

January 16th, 2017 16:00

My new Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition will be arriving tomorrow, a 9360 with Ubuntu 16.04.  Is the whining issue also on the DE machines? I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

January 17th, 2017 05:00

remember to do not update the bios.

Otherwise Ubuntu will no longer boot.

Cheers

January 17th, 2017 06:00

I'm please let us know here after you confirm.

January 17th, 2017 12:00

By updating the BIOS, are you referring to firmware updates? I've been reading about firmware updates being a mixed bag - fix some things, break others. Anyway, my box has been delayed a day for delivery so am reading up while I can.

January 17th, 2017 12:00

Will do. Delivery has been delayed another day, so will inform as soon as I have time to experiment.. This box will have a 512 GB SSD, so my plan is to install a couple of Linux distros on it.  Ubuntu isn't my favorite, but I will play with it upon delivery just to see what kinks might be awaiting me with the hardware if I install new systems. Eventually I'll likely install Mint and Manjaro, perhaps eventually delving into Arch. But first things first. I'm just glad Dell is making an effort to appease Linux folks. Cheers.

12 Posts

January 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi, I installed today some new drivers that I found on Dell support page for 9360. They were updated on January. They were chipset drivers, video driver, and audio driver

9360_Video_Driver_45YYV_WN32_21.20.16.4526_A01

Audio_Driver_39YW9_WN32_6.0.1.7989_A02

check them and tell me ... after a restart I do not hear the coil whine noise... can anyone verify ?

Update ,,, still can hear the coil whine noise, but it is less loud now :) that is an improvement at least ...

Play 3 youtube videos at the same time at 1080p. Then open facebook and scroll. Please let us know if coil whine is fixed.

12 Posts

well I can hear it but less than before that is for sure.. I will do more tests later. try to update the latest drivers and do a check

January 18th, 2017 13:00

I received my new Dell XPS 13 today. A few things:

1. I get no whine so far.

2. Ubuntu suggests updating from 16.04 (stable) to 16.10. I gave it a shot and my wireless no longer worked, so used my recovery USB to get back to square one.

3. I attempted to install a dual boot with Fedora 25, but the Fedora install corrupted the Ubuntu 16.04 boot, so again used my recovery USB to get back to square one.

4. On initial system setup, DEFINITELY generate the recovery ISO and allow the setup process to create the USB. It saved me tons of headaches a couple of times.

I'm unsure why these problems occurred, but will now investigate. I'm thinking that the Dell engineers did a lot of tweeking to get 16.04 to behave nicely with the new XPS hardware configuration. I'm wondering if a previous poster was referring to the Ubuntu 16.10 update (as opposed to BIOS).  It is also possible to select a flash BIOS upgrade, but I have not yet ventured there.

1 Message

January 18th, 2017 14:00

just adding another voice to the coil Whine.

Use my XPS for traveling photo editing, in Lightroon, and its whining all the time in that Adobe program.  (headphones in and I'm ok, others round me, less so)

No Events found!