Highlighted
emamul.ahmed
1 Copper

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

Play 3 youtube videos at the same time at 1080p. Then open facebook and scroll. Please let us know if coil whine is fixed.

Highlighted
emm.vog
1 Copper

Jump to solution

well I can hear it but less than before that is for sure.. I will do more tests later. try to update the latest drivers and do a check

Highlighted
curtvaughan2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I received my new Dell XPS 13 today. A few things:

1. I get no whine so far.

2. Ubuntu suggests updating from 16.04 (stable) to 16.10. I gave it a shot and my wireless no longer worked, so used my recovery USB to get back to square one.

3. I attempted to install a dual boot with Fedora 25, but the Fedora install corrupted the Ubuntu 16.04 boot, so again used my recovery USB to get back to square one.

4. On initial system setup, DEFINITELY generate the recovery ISO and allow the setup process to create the USB. It saved me tons of headaches a couple of times.

I'm unsure why these problems occurred, but will now investigate. I'm thinking that the Dell engineers did a lot of tweeking to get 16.04 to behave nicely with the new XPS hardware configuration. I'm wondering if a previous poster was referring to the Ubuntu 16.10 update (as opposed to BIOS).  It is also possible to select a flash BIOS upgrade, but I have not yet ventured there.

Highlighted
HuffHuff
1 Copper

Jump to solution

just adding another voice to the coil Whine.

Use my XPS for traveling photo editing, in Lightroon, and its whining all the time in that Adobe program.  (headphones in and I'm ok, others round me, less so)

Highlighted
zkiss
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am waiting on the coil whine issue to be fixed, then planning to buy the XPS 13. If nothing better comes out until then.

Jump to solution

@Community,

Just wanted to stop by to let you all know that I haven't forgotten and to re-affirm that Dell is working on a hardware solution to the noise. I'm continuing to drive this internally in order to get an ETA on the fix. 

I'll get back when I know more. 

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Highlighted
ciprian.dell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Justin,

How will this hardware solution be implemented on the machines that were already sold?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Greetings Ciprian.dell,

It will depend upon the level of service purchased with your laptop. We sell the 9360 with 2 options: Onsite service or mail in service.

The future will tell us more about what the actual hardware fix will be.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Highlighted
dighn
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Have been on the fence about this laptop due to the coil whine issue. Even cancelled a 9350 order hoping the 9360 would fix the issue. Anyway got a 9360 on the way from a decent deal (i7/8GB/256GB/FHD), and will judge for myself if the noise will be bothersome to me. Hope I won't have to return it; I do have very good hearing...

Dell really should take this issue seriously. Anywhere on the internet where people are discussing the XPS 13, the subject of coil whine comes up. It's well known and really undermines buyer confidence.

Highlighted
mapastr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've just called the Dell support and they told me there is no solution for the new version of the laptop and they can't replace it with a non-noisy version because all versions are noisy (both 13 and 15). The guy also told me they are aware of the issue and the entire line has this problem. The only option is to send this back.