Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2016 10:00

New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Hi everybody,

After I was so happy to have found a Linux supported laptop with very good specifications, I had to return the brand new 9350 QHD+ because of the coil whine noise. It was a real pity because I was in love with the rest, but it was simply too loud.

Now I am thinking again what to buy.

Is the design of the new XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) solving the coil whine problem?

If yes, I would prefer to wait and support Dell buying the DE.

I know this is not a hardware forum, but I hope that someone from Dell can give me an asnwer here. Thank you very much in advance!

January 20th, 2017 16:00

I think I had a stupid comment :). "Active warranty" should be a warranty that is still active. I bought my 9360 in December, didn't do anything wrong with it, so, the warranty should be active. Justin, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 20th, 2017 16:00

@Ciprian.dell,

No problem. You can go here:http://www.dell.com/support

Enter your service tag in the slot. Once done you can click on the 'warranty' tab to see the system's warranty status.

10 Posts

January 21st, 2017 02:00

Situation 3

I have a 9360 and I can only hear coil whine at home in the 'burbs with my ear to the keyboard. So, some people were not affected at all...

January 21st, 2017 03:00

what version of the motherboard do you have on your 9360?

8 Posts

January 21st, 2017 07:00

dighn: I can hear it easily from 10ft away.

I purchased December 29th and it wasn't shipped until the middle of January, and I'm showing the A00 motherboard still.

2 Posts

January 21st, 2017 08:00

"Dell Engineering deemed the behavior from Situation 1 to be: working as designed"

Like the laptop specs a lot but this is not an acceptable situation for me.

Better safe than sorry. Not buying it unfortunately.

41 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 06:00

@DELL-JUSTIN C

Thank you very much for all the updates on this issue, this is the level of service we expect from a company like DELL on premium products.

On my side, I have bought two units of 9360 mid-december : both have the A00 motherboard but only one is noisy (like situation 2 depending on what program you launch) and the other is silent (you can hear a noise only if you put your ear very close to the keyboard, so situation 1).

I'm then interested to know when the A02 motherboards will have reached the maintenance stock. I live in France and have bought the on site 3 year optional warranty for both units. I'm also interested to know how we'll be able to launch the motherboard swap : I guess we'll need you to help us communicating with the DELL support team to be sure they understand the problem and provide an A02 motherboard.

Thank you again.

19 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 15:00

Hi Justin,

2 questions:

A) When you say that the A02 motherboard "reduce" the noise.  Does that mean that the A02 motherboard revision does not completely eliminate the coil noise, instead reduces it to an "acceptable level" as described in situation 1?

B) When the motherboard becomes available for service stock, can the customer request the motherboard and change it themselves or do they have to mail in their 9360 to switch out?

Dan

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 15:00

I purchased the XPS 13 9360 Developer Edition on 1/10/2017 and it arrived 1/17/2017. I've got the A00 motherboard (and bad coil whine under heavy graphics load).

Do you know if a new order placed today would definitely ship with an A02 motherboard or is there still old stock?

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 11:00

That shipped quickly. Perhaps it was "fast ship" stock?

Anyway ordered a i7/8GB/256GB/FHD on the 16th, which shipped 22nd and will probably get it 27th/30th (I'm in Canada). Will report back regarding rev # and noise.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

@Ciprian.dell,

Yes, I'd say you're covered but you may have a certain period for parts only and a future period for onsite. I would recommend you contact Dell support to check into those parts of your warranty.

@Greg_FR,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Yes, I have a plan already: Once I can confirm that A02 is available I will move to have an internal only document ID created. Once that document is created I will be posting that ID number publicly ( not the contents just the ID number ). Community members will simply be able to share the document ID with a Dell rep in order to get service.

@Gallantus

A) Yes, A02 is a reduction in noise, not an elimination of noise.

B) Yes, ProSupport agents should ask if you want the part only. You can also make that request if they don't proactively offer that as an option. As for Basic support reps, I'm not sure. You can ask them. If you have someone at Dell that's not allowing parts only service you can friend me and I'll take a look and see what I can do.

@Vwbkn0,

Please send me a friend request with your order and I'll check it out.

19 Posts

thanks justin for staying on top of this.  you have been very helpful!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 12:00

Most welcome Gallantus and thank you for your feedback. I'll post back when I know more.

23 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hi Justin,

I have noticed that people are still getting devices with old motherboard. If I am to place my order in next few days, could I request machine to be with newer motherboard?

I am based in UK.

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 15:00

@Ervytis,

I'm looking into it further and will post back with updates.

There's no way to choose the motherboard revision at time of order.

No Events found!