Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

Can anyone confirm that sending your machine for diagnostics and repairs has helped at all? I don't want to send my machine just yet, since there is no AA02 motherboard available.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having problems with WiFi as well, 5HGz in particular. So how do you install these drivers under Ubuntu?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Ervytis,

We are indeed aware that there is a small subset of systems that are affected by the coil whine. Which we are currently addressing. Please do send me a friend request and we'll work something out regarding your case.

@Community,

Thank you for your continued feedback and discussion on this topic. I understand that we haven’t updated the Community in some time and I wanted to let you all know that we haven’t forgotten. We have been working internally in order to obtain the solution for those affected. Barton George is helping to escalate this internally in order to get the solution posted as soon as possible.

I also wanted to make it clear that Dell is working on updates for both the 9350 and 9360 noise concern. When we post the final solution here in the forums it will be for both systems.

Although Emamul.ahmed’s High Definition Audio Codec solution is not a Dell documented/tested solution you’re all welcome to try it, if you so choose. I’m having a system with the noise arriving to me in the near future. I will test the High Definition Audio Codec as well and will try to get back with those results.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Justin - a bit confused with this statement: "I also wanted to make it clear that Dell is working on updates for both the 9350 and 9360 noise concern."

For 9360, I thought there was a fix and that is the A02 motherboard?

1 Copper

Jump to solution

The apparent fix , the A02 motherboard does not fix the coil whine but reduces it.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Gallantus,

What I can say right now is that in the near future, there will be further clarification regarding 9360 A02 motherboard.

AshAlex is right. It's a reduction in noise, not an elimination of the noise.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks Justin.  I just sent you a friend request; I have a situation where my laptop is now in limbo land at the Dell depot to fix the coil whine and need some consultation from you.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just an update from the German community where A02 is being rolled out.

One user has reported that there were no improvements in terms of coil whine.

Seems like we might be in for a long and bumpy ride.

I hope that other users will report improvements.

de.community.dell.com/.../32470

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

That's unfortunate. So what would DELL offer then? Would they just assume you are going to be using £1500 device with this coil whine and pretend that it is a feature rather than a defect? Or would they offer you a refund/exchange for different device as long as you are covered with warranty?

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Anyone with a reasonably quiet XPS13 but one that squeaks when playing video-games, etc, try the driver update solution?