Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2016 10:00

New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Hi everybody,

After I was so happy to have found a Linux supported laptop with very good specifications, I had to return the brand new 9350 QHD+ because of the coil whine noise. It was a real pity because I was in love with the rest, but it was simply too loud.

Now I am thinking again what to buy.

Is the design of the new XPS 13 Kaby Lake (9360) solving the coil whine problem?

If yes, I would prefer to wait and support Dell buying the DE.

I know this is not a hardware forum, but I hope that someone from Dell can give me an asnwer here. Thank you very much in advance!

6 Posts

March 20th, 2017 14:00

The only 100% fix for now is return.

3 years of coil whine issue and no fix.

23 Posts

March 20th, 2017 16:00

I opened that case 29 days after I got my laptop delivered and that case is still open, does that void my return time window even though I opened that case before 30 days after purchase?

March 21st, 2017 00:00

Finally got a solution on this post. https://tricklio.com/working-solution-to-fix-dell-xps-13-coil-whine/

Coil whine can be reduced up to 80% by installing a audio codec from realtek. It's like magic.

Worked for me.

23 Posts

March 21st, 2017 08:00

That doesn't help at all.

20 Posts

March 21st, 2017 09:00

emamul.ahmed, coil whine is caused by inductors entering resonance. It has to do with their power state and their design. Software fixes don't address this issue. In some cases, the noise can be reduced, but it is an uncommon scenario. Edit: There was also talks about changing the C-states. Which I don't recommend. Also, people must be careful when playing the audio drivers. This thing can be finicky!!!! I had a problem where I had to reboot for the computer to recognize my headphones. A rollback didn't even fix the issue. After wasting hours of my life trying to fix it I reverted to a factory image.

My machine as a constant low pitch whine. I don't care much as it is not high pitch. However, if I watch videos, transfer large files or play videogames, there will be annoying high pitch squeaks.

I intend to get my board replaced once the A02 version is available to the in-home repair engineers. As I understand from my correspondance with Justin C. (few months back), a dell representative is supposed to let me know when that happens. If I am made aware, I'll let you guys know. If not, I'll just follow this thread along with you people!

Out of topic, but useful - Killer 1535 WiFi Crashes

Many will experience crashes when downloading large files or taxing their cards. Browsing in general is not affected. Fortunately, a fix came out about 10 days ago! While Dell hasn't updated their driver yet, it is available on Killer's website. Download this, install it and problem fixed!

www.killernetworking.com/.../e2200-e2400-wireless

March 21st, 2017 09:00

Yes it does, Please install it correctly. And again it will not reduce coil while fully but you won't notice it on regular use.

It worked for me and lots of people, please check reddit

14 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 04:00

I am having problems with WiFi as well, 5HGz in particular. So how do you install these drivers under Ubuntu?

23 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 04:00

Can anyone confirm that sending your machine for diagnostics and repairs has helped at all? I don't want to send my machine just yet, since there is no AA02 motherboard available.

19 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 09:00

@Justin - a bit confused with this statement: "I also wanted to make it clear that Dell is working on updates for both the 9350 and 9360 noise concern."

For 9360, I thought there was a fix and that is the A02 motherboard?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

@Ervytis,

We are indeed aware that there is a small subset of systems that are affected by the coil whine. Which we are currently addressing. Please do send me a friend request and we'll work something out regarding your case.

@Community,

Thank you for your continued feedback and discussion on this topic. I understand that we haven’t updated the Community in some time and I wanted to let you all know that we haven’t forgotten. We have been working internally in order to obtain the solution for those affected. Barton George is helping to escalate this internally in order to get the solution posted as soon as possible.

I also wanted to make it clear that Dell is working on updates for both the 9350 and 9360 noise concern. When we post the final solution here in the forums it will be for both systems.

Although Emamul.ahmed’s High Definition Audio Codec solution is not a Dell documented/tested solution you’re all welcome to try it, if you so choose. I’m having a system with the noise arriving to me in the near future. I will test the High Definition Audio Codec as well and will try to get back with those results.

3 Posts

The apparent fix , the A02 motherboard does not fix the coil whine but reduces it.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 10:00

@Gallantus,

What I can say right now is that in the near future, there will be further clarification regarding 9360 A02 motherboard.

AshAlex is right. It's a reduction in noise, not an elimination of the noise.

19 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 11:00

Thanks Justin.  I just sent you a friend request; I have a situation where my laptop is now in limbo land at the Dell depot to fix the coil whine and need some consultation from you.

6 Posts

March 24th, 2017 08:00

Just an update from the German community where A02 is being rolled out.

One user has reported that there were no improvements in terms of coil whine.

Seems like we might be in for a long and bumpy ride.

I hope that other users will report improvements.

de.community.dell.com/.../32470

23 Posts

March 24th, 2017 14:00

That's unfortunate. So what would DELL offer then? Would they just assume you are going to be using £1500 device with this coil whine and pretend that it is a feature rather than a defect? Or would they offer you a refund/exchange for different device as long as you are covered with warranty?

No Events found!